walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cruachan Horseshoe

Ben Cruachan Horseshoe

Postby Jabber » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:46 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 15/09/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1126m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well what can I say but this is an absolute cracker of a ridge walk.
We started out quite early and by 0730 we were scraning on some Square Sausage Banjos at the Green Welly....then we were off on what promised to be a great day especially after all that wet weather Hurricane Katia dumped on us :(
We arrived at the start and the pea soup was still sitting in Loch Awe, so up wards we pushed through it.
Pea Soup below.JPG

We arrived at the dam within an hour of setting off and decided to go for Cruachan first so we pushed left of the dam.
Ladder drills.JPG
Now considering it was only 10am the heat was already pushing through and there was absolutely no wind ascending Coire Dearg to the peak of Cruachan. Seriously not used to this I thought considering I had brought three layers of clothing.
Ben Cruachan 3694 ft.JPG
. Now to say we spent a lot of time on the ridge was an exaggeration but I certainly was not in a hurry to get off it, it was fantastic and the views were tremendous all round.
My go.JPG
A proper Horseshoe.JPG
This day apart from being stunning weather was a special event and with Stob Diamh(Ordnance survey have this spelt wrong!) was my 20th Munro :D and Oh boy was I a happy chap 7.07% complete.....loads to go yeah! :D
Stob Daimh 3274ft.JPG
The walk off the horseshoe was where the path became a little more grassy and boggy in nature and we descended towards the other side of the dam and then back to the Cruachan train station (anyone use this at all?). Fantastic day out Highly commended!
Attachments
A very quite train station.JPG
Kev on Drochaid Ghlas 3310metres.JPG
Did he jump.JPG
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Ben Cruachan Horseshoe

Postby skuk007 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Cracking weather you had jabber, where's all the clag gone?
What's that slab your crawling up, is it on the path or did you go of-road for some scrambling practice?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Jabber » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:25 pm

The slab is about halfway along the ridge between Cruachan and Stob Diamh, we found it easy enough, the rock was really grippy even in my moss covered boots. It was fantastic day up there, can't wait to go back...maybe that's why my Munro count doesn't increase to quickly :D
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Postby skuk007 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks Jabber, just read Gavin's report on these hills and can now see more pics of the 'slabs'. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby kevswfc » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:47 pm

Cracking day on the Cruachan. One of my best walks and the weather was peachy. 8)
kevswfc
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland