walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

When 4 become 3

When 4 become 3

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:00 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 15/09/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1400m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off just before 9 with the intention of doing the 4 North Glen Lyon Munros. It was a bit chilly, but bright blue skies above, so hopefully it should warm up quite nicely. Had to have a quick stop at Loch Lubhair, as the reflections kept attracting my attention rather than the road ahead
DSC_0005.JPG
Loch Lubhair1
DSC_0007.JPG
Loch Lubhair2
DSC_0008.JPG
Loch Lubhair3

Back in the car and heading to Inverar, finally got there to find this notice in the carpark
DSC_0020.JPG
Oh deer!!

Thankfully I had a back up plan in Ben Lawers via Beinn Ghlas, so a short drive back the way I'd came and finally I was on my way just before 12. A fine view of Beinn Ghlas is had from the off. I had read that these hills are quite common for paragliders, and on a nice clear day like this, I wasn't to be disappointed.
DSC_0029.JPG
Beinn Ghlas
DSC_0031.JPG
Paraglider1
DSC_0038.JPG
Paragliders2

and fine views over Loch Tay to Ben More & Stob Binnein, and to Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin
DSC_0046.JPG
Ben More & Stob Binnein
DSC_0047.JPG
Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin

The walk up Beinn Ghlas is pretty straightforward walking, tho the high starting level certainly helps with that :lol: A great view of Ben Lawers from the summit cairn
DSC_0064.JPG
Summit Cairn
DSC_0067.JPG
Ben Lawers
Its not a great drop at all between the two, and even the pull up Lawers is fairly swift, and well worth the effort as it is a fine viewpoint
DSC_0076.JPG
Towards Glencoe
DSC_0077.JPG
The Ben
DSC_0079.JPG
An Stuc & Meall Garbh
DSC_0081.JPG
Loch Tay
DSC_0083.JPG
Schiehallion

I hadn't planned on doing An Stuc (hadn't really planned on doing any of these at all :lol:) but as it had only taken just over 2 hours to Lawers, and after a brief discussion with a fellow walker who had just come from An Stuc, I decided to crack on. Swiftly got down to Creag an Fhithich, where you get a fine view of Lochan nan Cat, and also a fine view that theres still a fair old drop down to Bealach Dubh before heading up An Stuc!! Great place for lunch tho, and didn't see a soul between leaving Lawers and getting back there.
DSC_0087.JPG
Lochan nan Cat
DSC_0110.JPG
An Stuc summit cairn
Took time to rest my legs before leaving An Stuc as there was now going to be a fair old re-ascent back up Lawers
DSC_0129.JPG
Back to Lawers and the re-ascent to come!
Got there eventually, then descended to the Beallach and took the bypass path back to the car.
All in all this was a great day, in great weather and with great views 8) even if it did got off to a bad start. Another lesson learned, I will make sure I check out deer stalking details before heading out!
Last edited by lomondwalkers on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: When 4 become 3

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Great weather, good report and love the views! Everytime we drive along Loch Lubhair its either raining or misty or both...still hoping for good reflections :D Perhaps in two weeks time on the way up to Skye :?:
Even tho can't do the walks I love reading the reports, particularly of places I know :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Gable Gable End » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:18 pm

surely this wasn't today????? it's bloody rotten up here :(
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:08 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Great weather, good report and love the views! Everytime we drive along Loch Lubhair its either raining or misty or both...still hoping for good reflections :D Perhaps in two weeks time on the way up to Skye :?:
Even tho can't do the walks I love reading the reports, particularly of places I know :lol:

Fingers crossed you get some decent weather for your trip to Skye. Haven't been there yet, so make sure you get plenty of pics :D
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Gable Gable End wrote:surely this wasn't today????? it's bloody rotten up here :(

Ooopsie :lol: ud think after all this time I'd actually know what I'm doing on here :lol: Cheers for pointing it out!
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby Gable Gable End » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:13 am

:lol:

phew!

it's a fine report though LW :)
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby kevsbald » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Nice wan....
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:08 pm

Blooming heck LW, what a report, its got it all!!!

Smashing photos, cracking hills and paragliders!!! Never a dull moment with your days out :lol:

Well done for not being put off by the deer stalking warning, great plan B!

P X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:09 am

This hill walking malarky is great Polly, you see a whole load of weird and wonderful sights!! And thats just some of the walkers :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:51 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:Fingers crossed you get some decent weather for your trip to Skye. Haven't been there yet, so make sure you get plenty of pics

As long as its not sea fog or just dull and grey weather will be taking plenty of pics. Hope you're not expecting one of the In Pinn :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Postby Scaredywalker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:22 pm

Nice report and pics...wish I had done An Stuc when I climbed Lawers and Glass as I didn't fancy it from Meall Garbh! So the Stuc remains my last remaining hill in the Lawers range and it kinda niggles me!! However gives me an excuse to go back :D

Deer Stalking on a Sunday?? According to Ralph Storer's book Chesthill estate is notorious for "restrictive practices towards walkers" I had my sights set on this route a few weeks ago but after reading this and visiting Chesthill's website (which is out of date) have decided to leave it until the Stag season is finished...oh and the weather was rotten too! :(

for info www.chesthill.com
Scaredywalker
Mountaineer

Munros:28   Corbetts:7
Fionas:6   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:05 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:As long as its not sea fog or just dull and grey weather will be taking plenty of pics. Hope you're not expecting one of the In Pinn :lol:

:lol: 2 little words that fill me with so much fear!!! :sick:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:14 pm

Scaredywalker wrote:Nice report and pics...wish I had done An Stuc when I climbed Lawers and Glass as I didn't fancy it from Meall Garbh! So the Stuc remains my last remaining hill in the Lawers range and it kinda niggles me!! However gives me an excuse to go back :D

Deer Stalking on a Sunday?? According to Ralph Storer's book Chesthill estate is notorious for "restrictive practices towards walkers" I had my sights set on this route a few weeks ago but after reading this and visiting Chesthill's website (which is out of date) have decided to leave it until the Stag season is finished...oh and the weather was rotten too! :(

for info www.chesthill.com

Thanks SW. I quite fancy An Stuc the other way in the right conditions, had a wee peek down that side from the summit, it sure looks steep :shock: No difficulties doing it from Lawers side though, other than the slog back up Lawers afterwards :lol:
Thanks for the info on the Chesthill Estate, I was hoping to get to them in the next few weeks, but after reading that, I may also wait until the stalking season is over.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:44 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:2 little words that fill me with so much fear!!!

Surely you don't mean "sea fog" :roll:
SusieThePensioner

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland