walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar on a sunny day.

Lochnagar on a sunny day.

Postby Les Stuart » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:55 pm

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 15/09/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 20 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I drove up to the Glen Muick car park last Thursday from Glasgow and the first surprise I had, there was about 30 cars in the car park and this was about 10.30am midweek. I guess it will be really busy most weekends and after doing the walk
I could understand why it is popular for both high and low level walks.
I set off about 11am and at the Spittal of Glenmuick turned right and headed for the plantation. It was on this track that I got my first glimpse of the Lochnagar cliffs away in the distance.
IMG_4940.jpg
Lochnagar cliiffs in the distance

IMG_4941.jpg
Track to plantation

Walked through the plantation and picked up track heading west for about 3km to the head of Glen Gelder then took the path leading to the left which took me to the edge of the corrie with Meikle Pap to my right looking across to the cliffs of Lochnagar.
IMG_4943.jpg
Cliffs of Lochnagar

This was a great view and was glad that I did not do Lochnagar last summer from the A93 at Auchallater when I walked the 4 Munros of the White Mounth as I would have missed this view.
I then headed up the steep slope to the summit ridge and followed the path round which has small cairns at short intervals to help in poor visibility.
IMG_4948.jpg
Cairned path

After a short distance you climb up to the ridge which takes you round to the summit of Cac Carn Beag passing Cac Carn Mor.
IMG_4949.jpg
Heading to the summit

IMG_4950.jpg
Cac Carn Beag

I stayed for about 30 minutes at the summit having lunch and took a few photos.
IMG_4951.jpg
Loch nan Eun

IMG_4952.jpg
Towards Braemar

IMG_4954.jpg
Corrie

After the photo session, I set off back round the edge of the corrie for about half way, then took the path heading south east down the Glass Allt too the waterfall which was in full spate because of the amount of rain that we have had recently.
IMG_4955.jpg

This lady stepped in front of me just as I was taking the photo.
IMG_4962.jpg
Waterfall

IMG_4964.jpg
Waterfall

After passing the waterfall,
IMG_4965.jpg
Loch Muick

I headed down to Loch Muick then north back to the car park. When the weather is good it makes for a great day out though the following day when I did Mount Keen, it was the opposite.
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

Re: Lochnagar on a sunny day.

Postby snowdonia7 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:38 pm

Nice report and good to see the views I missed out on when I did the white mounth circuit the weekend before - I'll add this to my list of munros to do again on a clear day.
snowdonia7

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:36   

Postby PeteR » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:34 pm

So that's what lochnagar looks like :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: All I saw was mist on the way up to the summit, although it did clear a bit later on. I liked your shot heading toward the summit. I had to practically walk into the rock to find it when I was there :lol: Your photos show why I will have to go back. :D :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Les Stuart » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Yes Peter and Snowdonia, well worth a visit on a good day and next time I am in the area would do it again.
PeteR wrote:So that's what lochnagar looks like :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: All I saw was mist on the way up to the summit, although it did clear a bit later on. I liked your shot heading toward the summit. I had to practically walk into the rock to find it when I was there :lol: Your photos show why I will have to go back. :D :D
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland