walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an Dothaidh & Beinn Dorain

Beinn an Dothaidh & Beinn Dorain

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:13 pm

Route description: Beinn Dòrain & Beinn an Dòthaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 16/06/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1228m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I Woke up to one of those rare Scottish sunny days, there was only one place on the agenda for today, the majestic Beinn Dorain. For me, it ALMOST has that same effect as the bookil does when you drive past, you just want to stop and walk straight up it there and then!!! So packed and out the house for 8.45, and parked up in the layby just before the hotel for 10. Took a right opposite the hotel to head for the train station, then through the underpass and through the gate onto the open hill. What a fabulous day for a fabulous hill, can't wait to see the views from Dorain....
PICT0003.JPG
Unfamiliar view of Dorain from the roadside
PICT0004.JPG
Beallach & an Dothaidh

Its a gentle incline on the walk towards the Beallach, and even the climb to the Beallach itself isnt too bad, with the views opening out behind you for those all important "photo breaks." I would imagine this would be alot boggier though after rain.
PICT0012.JPG
PICT0013.JPG
Path upto Beallach

Once at the Beallach I followed the path left to go for an Dothaidh first, got to a small cairn which I assume marks where the path is for the descent, as after this the path pretty much disappeared, but on a clear day such as this, navigation wasn't going to be an issue. There are 3 tops on an Dothaidh, and I believe the middle is the true summit, which was confirmed by my gps, but I visited all 3 anyway. Great views all around, especially over Rannoch Moor towards The Ben
PICT0019.JPG
Small cairn where path disappears
PICT0023.JPG
South to Crianlarich Munros
PICT0036.JPG
Summit Cairn
PICT0038.JPG
North towards The Ben

Had a quick lunch then made my way back to the Beallach to start the climb up Dorain, unfortunatley for me, the clag had decided to drift in from the West, and it was starting to look like I'd had any views I was going to get for today.
Not that it was going to spoil my day, as I was now walking on one of Scotlands most beautiful mountains 8) The walk up Dorain was fairly easy on a far better path, though there is a large cairn not far short of the actual summit which could cause some confusion if the mist is down.... thankfully I had done my homework :lol: I did get itty bitty views along the summit ridge, but not what I'd hoped for...can't have it all I suppose
PICT0057.JPG
Not summit cairn!!
PICT0063.JPG
Across the a82
PICT0071.JPG
Quick view east before the clag came back in
PICT0072.JPG
Just like that!!!
PICT0069.JPG
True Summit

Easy descent following the route of ascent, and all in all on a day like this (apart from the summit clag on Dorain :thumbdown: ) I found this alot easier than I thought I would. Good paths most of the way, though as previously mentioned, in wetter times the walk in would probably not be so pleasant.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Beinn an Dothaidh & Beinn Dorain

Postby skuk007 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:03 pm

Nice report, shame about the clag on Dorain :( . I was lucky enough to get good views when I did these two weeks later.
I got confused by the summits on Dothaidh too so hopefully I got the right one. Must get round to that walk report.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Vick1 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:34 pm

thanks for sharing that as Ive often wondered what the view is like from there
Vick1
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   Corbetts:10
Fionas:5   
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:73   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:19 am

Pity about the weather later on but you got some nice weather and views earlier :D Like you I found the walk up Beinn Dorain easier than up Beinn an Dothaidh but was expecting the opposite. 8) Well done
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:27 pm

skuk007 wrote:Nice report, shame about the clag on Dorain :( . I was lucky enough to get good views when I did these two weeks later.
I got confused by the summits on Dothaidh too so hopefully I got the right one. Must get round to that walk report.

Look forward to seeing the views I missed on Dorain :lol:

Vick1 wrote:thanks for sharing that as Ive often wondered what the view is like from there

The view from an Dothaidh made up for the lack of views from Dorain :)

rockhopper wrote:Pity about the weather later on but you got some nice weather and views earlier :D Like you I found the walk up Beinn Dorain easier than up Beinn an Dothaidh but was expecting the opposite. 8) Well done

Cheers RH, the weather had been fab until Dorain, but I reckon the better views would have been from an Dothaidh anyway, cracking view over Rannoch Moor 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:23 pm

Enjoyed this report as have stayed at the Bridge of Orchy hotel several times, but, of course, can't get out to walk them!!
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby lomondwalkers » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Susie, great sight seeing Beinn Dorain as you approach it from the South!
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby blanchie » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:30 am

I remember the small cairn where the path disappears on Dothaidh on my recent trip. Trouble is I couldn't see anything else! You picked a good day.
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:111   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland