walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgor Gaoith, Mullach Clach a' Bhlair

Sgor Gaoith, Mullach Clach a' Bhlair

Postby Les Stuart » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:40 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir, Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 02/06/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 21 km

20 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

On wednesday I set off to Glen Feshie to do the two Munros from Auchlean and as usual I forgot an item, though I had taken my camera I forgot to put in the recharged batteries, hence I used my mobile though the quality is poor.

I set off from the car park about 10am after a 2hour 45 minute drive from the Glasgow area and though the weather forecast was to improve as the day progressed the opposite happened until about 3.30pm when the sun came out and made for the last 30 minutes a nice stroll along the east bank of the River Feshie.
02062010.jpg

I picked up the path from the farm to Carn Ban Mor which is a steady ascent and after walking in Knoydart 10 days ago it felt like a walk in the park. Up on the plateau there was a strong wind and from Carn Ban Mor headed north towards the summit of Sgor Gaoith which was fairly straight forward as the dark grey clouds were above the summits though the strong wind made it feel very cold and had to put on gloves hat and jacket.
02062010_001.jpg
Sgor Gaoith

02062010_002.jpg

02062010_004.jpg
Loch Einich

After trying to take a few photos in the strong wind coming from the south west I did not stand to near the edge of the cliffs as it looked along way down to Loch Einich.

I set off south back to Carn Ban Mor as there is a walled shelter and had lunch before setting off to Mullach Clach a' Bhlair which was a steady walk over the plateau passing Meall Dubhag on my right which was once a munro then Coire Garbhlach which had patches of snow on it. Picked up the track then a path which took me to the summit and had good views of Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochain Uaine.
02062010_006.jpg
Coire Garbhlach

02062010_005.jpg
Mullach Clach a' Bhlair

02062010_008.jpg
Cairn Toul in background

02062010_013.jpg
Glen Feshie

02062010_012.jpg
Meall nan Sleac

My route back was north towards Coire Garbhlach to pick up a track that would take me west down into Glen Feshie then north to the car park at Auchlean. I changed my mind at the last moment on reaching the track, I followed it for a short distance west then walked up to the summit of Meall nan Sleac at 800m, then descended north west down into Glen Feshie picking up the path at a bridge keeping to the east side of the river then shortly arriving back at the car park. By taking the short cut I reckon I took about 3 or 4km off my original walk.

A good day and surprised the SMC book has them as single walks as both can be done comfortably in a day outing. \sorry the pics are not good quality and will in future double check that batteries are in the camera.
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

Re: Sgor Gaoith, Mullach Clach a' Bhlair

Postby walk aboot » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:03 pm

Liked this report Les...like to know when you can shorten routes (call them escape routes) for when the weather is pants.

Photos are fine :)
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:30 am

Definitely one of my favourite walking areas! Love that last photo with the straaaaiiiight path to the cairn! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby monty » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:00 am

Hi Les,
Nice report. It looks pretty flat up top. Perfect for running between the summits. (once my knee is better) :D

Your walk out over Meall nan Sleac saves about 2km so its useful to know. :D
monty

Postby andrew11 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Thinking of doing this walk soon, so thanks!

I always forget something too! Boots, poles, jacket, sat nav............................ So now I have a check list!!
andrew11
Walker

Munros:143   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby iainwatson » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:09 pm

nice report,i walked this today in the driving rain,howling wind,low level cloud and hailstones! and i absolutely loved it! shame i misssed the views :0(

i thought about your shortcut but stayed on the track and i was rewarded by getting to walk along the river in the stunning (if not soaking) scenery,its such a nice area it goes through although my walk ended up being 28km!

just like your day i had some sunshine for the last 30 mins of the walk as per usual! lol
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby BIG BAD VIC » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:33 pm

LOOKED AT THE ROUTES FROM "WALKHIGHLAND", BOTH MUNRO'S ARE LISTED AS SEPARATE DAYS OUT, TAKING IN 2 DAYS TRAVELLING FROM STIRLING AND RETURN. (TOTAL TIME TRAVEL 10 HOURS, DISTANCE 456 MILES)
I DOWNLOADED THE GPS ROUTE FROM "LES STUART, 02/06/2010), THIS I FOLLOWED AND DID BOTH MUNRO'S IN JUST OVER 7 HOURS.
MANY THANKS TO LES FOR A PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD ROUTE TO INCLUDE BOTH MUNRO'S IN ONE DAY.
BIG BAD VIC
Mountaineer

Munros:113   

20 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland