walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corbett number 2- Ben Vrackie.

Corbett number 2- Ben Vrackie.

Postby nathan79 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:07 am

Route description: Ben Vrackie, near Pitlochry

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 20/09/2011

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 720m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having cruelly mocked Stretch on Facebook after he lamented the fact he had to work on a sunny day. i felt i had to get out and climb something. Having spent a good chunk of the morning watching the Russian rugby team do their country proud in defeat against the Italians, i ummed and ahhhhed for a while before i recalled Graeme mentioning Ben Vrackie the other week at the WH meet.

I've passed Pitlochry a fair few times since starting walking, but up until recently i'd scoffed and dismissed it. It was always "just a Corbett" after all. I'm not quoting anyone, but i could be :D

Only just over an hours drive and less than 50miles from home, i never realised it was so close and convenient. I didn't even leave my house til after 1:30. Passed through some low cloud and rain between Perth and Dunkeld, but back to blue skies at Pitlochry.
Parked up and set off about 3. Straight forward walk, followed the WH route so i'll try to keep teh words to a minimum.

DSCF3853.JPG
Stumbpled across this guy on the way up. The wonderfully named burrowing beetle [i]Nicophorus investigator[/i].

Nicophorus investigator

Disappointed i'd ignored Ben Vrackie so long. Nice looking hill.
DSCF3860.JPG

Quite a cold breeze blowing, and the rain came on as i crossed over by Loch a' Choire. Relating to a thread over in the general section, a Tornado was out for a bit of a fly-by.
DSCF3872.JPG
Tornado

Thought that was my fill of the sunshine, but there were fantastic views of the sun coming through the cloud to the west over Loch Tummel as i was ascending the steep section.
DSCF3889.JPG

DSCF3904.JPG

CLoud descended and the wind picked up. I spent some time chatting to a guy who'd overtaken my on the way up as he prepared for his descent. As if by magic, when we parted ways and i went up to grab a summit pic the cloud cleared.
DSCF3912.JPG
Ben Vrackie summit and view south.

The clouds may have cleared and the rain gone, but the icy wind was still there and it looked like more cloud was on teh way so i didn't hang about and headed back down.

I heard the sound of another plane. as i walked round Loch a' Choire. Didn't sound like a Tornado, and when i saw it i recognised the unmistakable shape of the Eurofighter. Wasn't quick enough with my camera though, this was the best i could do.
DSCF3916.JPG
Squint and you can see it!

Coming down the ealach path to the main path i was rewarded with one of the best rainbows i've ever seen. Pictures don't do it justice. The primary rainbow was dazzling, and the secondary was nice and bright too.
DSCF3938.JPG

DSCF3940.JPG
Last views as i headed back towards the trees.

A short day's walk but a good one. I'll definitely be revisiting Ben Vrackie. The only question left was should i hit the Moulin Inn for tea and one of their fine ales? I resisted the urge knowing i had a steak defrosting at home.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Re: Corbett number 2- Ben Vrackie.

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:28 am

Good advice you got Nathan it's a fine hill Ben Vrackie are as many of the Corbetts, that person will see the light one day :D You got a dull day for it but still got the views and i'll vouch for the Moullin,it's a fine pub with good beer :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Stretch » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:19 am

Booooooo! Nah, just kidding, glad somebody was able to get out yesterday. This is one I've been saving for an easier day, looks like a nice walk. Now, do some work like the rest of us :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:35 am

Great hill and very nice photos. I found it steep near the top but loved the views.

Yes, the Moulin Inn does lovely ales :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby mountainstar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:57 am

One day young man, many many years from now, when you've completed the Munro's you will discover how good the Corbett's are :wink:
Like the sun-burst pictures very much.
Great hill for a half day that, done it a few times, inc. a Xmas morning from the Moulin Arms a few years ago :D
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby ChrisW » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:01 am

Nice one nathan, your shots of those sunbursts are excellent, as for the rainbow - they are a pain to catch on camera and never seem to adequately reflect what you were looking at.

So who made the "only a corbett" statement :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby malky_c » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:48 am

Ben Vrackie is a great little hill, although it doesn't get much of a look-in from me these days. When I lived in Dundee though, I was up there quite a lot. Glad you managed to see something from it :)

ChrisW wrote:So who made the "only a corbett" statement :wink:

I'll put my money on his username beginning with an 'm' :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Graeme D » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:48 pm

malky_c wrote:I'll put my money on his username beginning with an 'm'

Mmmmmmm!!!!!! I'm saying nothing! :lol:

Nathan, nice wee report on a hill I too have done numerous times but have few photos of and to this day have never posted a report for. First time I did it was on my wife's 30th when we stayed in Aberdeen and spent the weekend at the Moulin Hotel. A word of advice though - never resist the urge to partake of the wares at the Moulin, grasshopper!!! It is one of the great pubs. I actually spent a good whack of my stag weekend in the Moulin! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby nathan79 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:09 pm

I dedicate this walk to you Stretch.

I won't say the Corbett comment was made by someone beginning with "m", but it could have ended in "onty". :D

I've been in the Moulin Inn before, but it must've been about 5 or 6 years ago when i was working in the area for a week. I WILL make a return visit soon. For one thing i'd like to see how Ben Vrackie looks in winter.

In the meantime, i've already got my eyes on my next Corbett.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby ChrisW » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:16 pm

nathan79 wrote:I won't say the Corbett comment was made by someone beginning with "m", but it could have ended in "onty". :D

:lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ndhudson » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:00 am

Good stuff Nathan! :thumbup: We did Vrackie last fall and were also rewarded with a couple fabulous rainbows...not to mention some incredible fall colors. Your rainbow shot turned out FAR better than mine!!!

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12173

Don't know why anyone would balk at a hill as perty as this one! :D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:48 am

Monty where are you? Are you not coming on here to defend yourself? :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Bod » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:54 pm

Hey hey Nathan!
Vrackie is always a good walk and some fine land round about in the area. Been up many times in years gone by leading Scouts from camps based in the grounds of Blair Castle, plus more recent trips with friends and neighbours. Cheers the noo :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland