walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Alligin, Sgurr Mhor and horns

Beinn Alligin, Sgurr Mhor and horns

Postby jimandandrea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:40 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 18/09/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1110m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Torridon for a week - our 25th wedding anniversary present to ourselves: Excellent.
Ashamed to say this but I have never been in Torridon before and was awe struck at the mountains as we drove from Kinlochewe. As Liathach came into view my jaw dropped - how is anyone supposed to get up, across and down that monster? We comforted ourselves in the story in last weeks Westmorland Gazette: a lad of 11 (yes, eleven) had just completed ALL the Munro's. Maybe we could at least try!
First morning the forecast was not great. From Torridon looking to Liathach, covered in mist - Not doing that unless its an almost perfect day with at least 24 hours of daylight. Looking further up the valley, same story for Beinn Eighe. Beinn Alligin however seemed almost clear. Forecast was for this window to break by midday however so lets get started. OK, Alligin it was.... we'll decide later if the Horns are going to be tackled.

From the bridge at the car park we took the path on the left of the bridge (west) and off we went. The morning was stunning and we could not believe it as we followed the track up from the road.
A grand start
Being used to the Lakes this is a big step up - Striding Edge is about as good as it gets, having seen postings of this route we we somewhat nervous as to what lay ahead. The main thing was that our first Munro of the day should be done in good conditions. As we looked back to Liathach we were glad of our decision to do Alligin.
Liathach - Actually that was as clear as it got.
The views of the Horns were quite spectacular and we were in awe of our surroundings.
The Horns of Alligin
The vista: Alligin et al
The way ahead up the Coire nan Laugh was very straight forward and steady away we soon reached the col.
The col above Coire nan Laugh.
Summit reached and we had our lunch looking across at what still needed to be done - very impressive view it was.
View from Beinn Alligin
On we went. The next section, the descent from Alligin was quite tricky we thought and one point was quite difficult - maybe we made a poor choice of line, but we certainly did not find it straightforward. Since few reports mention the descent we were now somewhat concerned about what lay ahead. As we had left the car park a lad was heading in the opposite direction, he passed us as we were ascending Sgurr Mhor - he may not have stopped for a leisurely lunch....... OK, he moved faster!
From Sgurr Mhor the Horns were now clearly visible and we tried to make out the plan of attack. You can see from the picture that the cloud was moving in.
Clouds are forming
Soon they were becoming quite a feature.
Cloudy horns
This was about following what the forecast had predicted - on cloud would then be followed by precipitation. However, not so...
Clear horns
The views were now quite outstanding. Amazing how the spirits lift when le soleil brille et le ciel est bleu.
View looking North West from the base of Horn 1
The Horns were actually very straight forward and we managed them quite easily. Most enjoyable. Best done through the medium of pictures. Only point to make was on the 3rd Horn. There is the option of going straight up the front by following the path on the right then after about 20m head up - a lot easier.
Looking at Horn 2 from 1
Horn 2
Done
We were fair chuffed with ourselves. Doing the two Munro's - great, but horns as well and the weather held.
Fantastic. The views
The descent was fairly steep and went on for a bit but a wee story never goes amis at times like these and the time went quickly and soon we were back on the path proper.
We had a great day on the hills and as we came off we were aware of poor Beinn Dearg who had his 15 mins of fame and because someone did the Maths has been struck from the list. Here's to Beinn Dearg.
Image[/url]
Beinn Dearg
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Beinn Alligin, Sgurr Mhor and horns

Postby soulminer » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:10 pm

Certainly a cracker of a mountain, has every thing you could want in a day out. Some quality images in your report- love the Liathach pic 8)
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby The Summiteer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 am

Hi, you certainly got better weather than I did earlier this month. Enjoyed your report & photos of a fantastic hill(s). Hopefully I'll get back there next year? Maybe if I go on MY anniversary, I'll get better weather too! :lol:

Cheers 8)
The Summiteer
Mountaineer

Munros:99   Corbetts:12
Fionas:9   Donalds:8

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:37 pm

Love the report, i was heading along Torridon in July to do these 2 but ended up doing Liathach as i could not bring myself to drive past it. Still got Beinn Alligin to do though and looking forward to it.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby jonny616 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:23 pm

Fantastic day for it. I did it in the clag & never saw a thing :lol:

regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby kevsbald » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:36 am

A happy anniversary to you. Great way to spend it. Torridon is a hidden jewel, isn't it?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Alastair S » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:00 am

Super :thumbup:

I didn't manage the Horns when I did this hill as the weather closed in but I'd love to go back & include them.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby jimandandrea » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:50 pm

kevsbald wrote:A happy anniversary to you. Great way to spend it. Torridon is a hidden jewel, isn't it?

Cheers Kev. We had great plans for this week, alas the weather meant it was just not to be. On a plus - found sooo many places to have a coffee, Nannies at Shieldaig, The Shop in Torridon, The Walled Garden at Applecross .....(all excellent places to watch the rain and have your cake and eat it).
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Postby jimandandrea » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:52 pm

The Summiteer wrote:Hi, you certainly got better weather than I did earlier this month. Enjoyed your report & photos of a fantastic hill(s). Hopefully I'll get back there next year? Maybe if I go on MY anniversary, I'll get better weather too! :lol:

Cheers 8)

That was our only good day, next day's it came and went with really strong winds - we then got rained off.... no more walking. Still, great place to be - better than work!!
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Great report and some stunning pics, the Liathach one is outstanding - beautiful walk on a beautiful day, what could be better :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby skuk007 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:36 pm

Great report and even better photos. :clap: Congratulations on your anniversary.

Spookily I was up in Torridon last month for our 25th anniversary - pics in this thread.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby jimandandrea » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:48 pm

skuk007 wrote:Great report and even better photos. :clap: Congratulations on your anniversary.
Cheers.
Spookily I was up in Torridon last month for our 25th anniversary - pics in this thread.

Congrats to you both on 25 years. You looked as if you had great weather. We live in the Lakes - you knocked it off as I could count the number of sunny days this summer in one hand!! Great views from Gowbarrow and LMF. You chose well there.

What a drive from Bristol - well done both of you!
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Postby mamoset » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:59 pm

Great place and great photos :D

Chris
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland