walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Woodhall Dean Circular, East Lothian

Woodhall Dean Circular, East Lothian

Postby Sabbathstevie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Date walked: 16/04/2011

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 3.56 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I thought I would introduce myself to this excellent forum by posting my first ever walk report.

This is a gentle and quiet forest walk, hidden deep within rural East Lothian. It's also one of my favourites and one which I couldn't find elsewhere on the site. Woodhall Dean is a nature reserve and is notable for it's birdlife and as a (relatively) rare adder sanctuary, though both myself and my tiny Jack Russell, Maggie, are yet to encounter one. We have however seen plenty of birds, roe deer and even a badger on this trail.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Woodhall Dean is signposted from the tiny, picturesque village of Spott. Once you've driven over the hill and come down the other side, watch out for the ford over the burn at the bottom of the valley. There is a dirt track leading to a farm upto the right with room for several parked cars, while still leaving access free to the farm road. Carefully park here and you should see the sign for the entrance to the reserve and starting point for the walk, almost hidden by the gorse bushes. The route is marked throughout.

IMG_2180.jpg
Atop the view point

The path is narrow and relatively twisting as it parallels the burn, climbing some steepish stairs up to a lovely view point with a bench, overlooking the burn below. Descending again, the path widens out into a flatter area which in April was covered in wild garlic. The path then climbs again to reveal a ruined bridge, hidden in the glen by the trees. the path splits here with one route branching off to the left to cross the bridge. Ignore this and keep to the right, climbing the verge and following path over a style, where it continues for a while through open farmland.

IMG_2182.jpg
ruined bridge

the path soon crosses another style and curves back round into Woodhall Dean again, crossing the burn at Tinkers Leap. From here, follow the path alongside a field until it returns at the ruined bridge before retracing your steps back to the start of the walk.

IMG_2185.jpg
stark trees in Woodhall Dean

My description doesn't really do the walk justice but with a marked trail, there isn't any need for me to go into too much detail - it's just a lovely and quiet place.

Having said all that, the content in the rest of this site has thoroughly whet my appetite to tackle some hills - Mayar and Driesh look to be a good start and I've got them pencilled in for October...
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Re: Woodhall Dean Circular, East Lothian

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:46 pm

Good stuff Sabbathstevie, looks a nice wee wander. I like the twisty trees pic. Your choice of Mayer and Driesh to start you off is a good one, I would suggest you take the Corrie Fee route as it is stunning - welcome to WH :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Sabbathstevie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:51 pm

Thanks Chris. Absolutely - I've dotted around the Angus glens in Autumn and before so I'm hoping for one of those cold crisp days that we seem to get at this time of year - don't want my first one to be marred by poor visibility but we'll see... :)
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Postby kev_russ » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:14 pm

Nice pics stevie :) Good wee walk that. I was down there last year!
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby morag1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi Stevie, I live in Edinburgh too and am always on the lookout for new places to explore. i dont really go to East Lothian much but maybe i should as this looks really nice :D
morag1

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:11 am

Morag - your walks diary seems to contain almost every Edinburgh walk there is! My favourites would have to be the Water of Leith (Roseburn to Stockbridge) and the Cammo estate which never ceases to amaze me how far from the city it feels. East Lothian is definately worth a shout - some of the best East Coast beaches I've seen bar Tentsmuir in Fife and Lunan Bay in Angus. Need to get in a good circular of the Pentlands myself before tackling my first munro(s) in a few weeks!
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland