walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Laggan 1/2 - autumn on Creag Meagaidh and 4 neighbours

Loch Laggan 1/2 - autumn on Creag Meagaidh and 4 neighbours

Postby rockhopper » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:32 pm

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean), Beinn Teallach, Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 18/09/2011

Time taken: 10.3 hours

Distance: 41 km

Ascent: 2000m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: Sunday 18 September 2011
Distance: 41km (walk 28km, cycle 13km) approx
Ascent: 2,000m approx
Time: 10.3hrs
Attendees: me

Haven’t been around much recently due to family commitments etc – missed Graeme’s Kintail meet as a result :( - and it had been 4 weeks since I’d last been on the hills. Planned an overnighter in order to cover the 8 munros north and south of Loch Laggan.

Today was north with south tomorrow.

Loch Laggan north active log reduced to 500 waypoints.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Up early and drove to Dalwhinnie then down Loch Laggan.

Parked in the car park at Aberarder. Weather was dry at this point but overcast. Got the bike out and cycled down to Roughburn. Then managed to get the bike over the fence and locked it up to a tree just down from the track. Started up the track through the woods – initially took a wrong turning at 371821 but soon corrected and went back. On coming out of the woods then had to find a way to cross the Allt a’ Chaorainn before continuing northwards on the edge of the trees.

Views opening up behind me

Early stages were quite boggy and couldn’t really find a track to follow but it was reasonable heather and moorland.

From a promising start, the weather turned for the worse and it started raining – stopped to put on waterproofs as it looked like it was going to stay on. Reached the summit of Beinn Teallach and the clag was down – this was going to be the story of the day, ie clear bits in between and clag on the tops. :shock:

I then headed NE to avoid the crags and then drop down around Tom Mor to cross the Allt. Found a way to cross it and then started up the hillside towards Beinn a Chaorainn.

Looked back to Beinn Teallach

And over to Loch Sguadaig

Quite steep in places and I was starting to find it quite hard going. I’d hardly had any exercise at all for about a month and was starting to feel it. Still, I reckoned that going clockwise would mean that I’d get the harder section over at the start.

Fairly clear for most of the rest of the way but the clag was down again at the summit

Great view....huh

I decided against walking down to the south top and headed back up the ridge before heading off NE for the long walk to Creag Meagaidh.

Could now see where I was going again

Headed via the Bealach a’ Bharnish. Don’t know if there was a track or not but if there was I couldn’t find it. The moorland wasn’t difficult for walking over though.

Down below the cloud I could see more of the views around me

Higher up a line of old fenceposts started – useful in poor weather

Before getting the top.....again in the clag

Met some other walkers at the summit. The next section to Stob Poite Coire Ardair was quite short and easy going. Got some views under the cloud of the lochans.

Same old story – couldn’t see anything on the top of Stob Poite Coire Ardair....

Then began the final long section towards Carn Liath. There was now a path for much of the way which made things a lot easier.

Down below the cloud again I could once again see round me.

The annoying thing was that Ben Alder & co to the south and the hills up by Newtonmore seemed to have sun on them most of the time whereas I seemed to be in cloud/mist.

Approach to Carn Liath was clearer

And the cloud did lift a bit so that I could see down to Loch Laggan and back to Coire Ardair

But by the time I got to the top of Carn Liath, guess what was visited on me yet again...the clag

Traced my steps back a short way before taking the track back down to the car park. It was very boggy in places and followed a stream through some lightly wooded sections...on the plus side I could see more round me again.

Back down at the Aberarder I found an information point and public toilet – very handy. Got to the car and then drove down to Roughburn to pick up my bike before getting some dinner. Parked the car in the layby about 1km SW of Moy Lodge as I was staying overnight in order to walk the 3 to the south of Loch Laggan the next day.
Last edited by rockhopper on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Loch Laggan 1/2 - autumn on Creag Meagaidh and 4 neighbours

Postby skuk007 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Nice long walk there rockhopper, another set of hills I hadn't thought of combining.
What was the cycle like along the loch? I assume it was quite flat, but I bet it had some dodgy traffic.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby dooterbang » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:36 pm

M.I.A - like myself 8)

I thought you would do the 8 in 1 day :) . When i did these, in glorious sunshine (anti clockwise - i like a tough finish :wink: ), i actually though that the 8 could be done in a day....and your gooodself was an ideal candidate/crazy man to take them on :lol:

Shame about the clag. I would recommend doing the Creag Meagaidh trio, perhaps in winter, as the views are fab.

Now how will the other 3 be tackled....

p.s have you done the 4 at Loch Treig yet?
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby pigeon » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:53 pm

Another big effort rockhopper, pity about the lack of views though ,was up creag meagaidh last saturday and loved it :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:27 pm

God-damn it rockhopper that's 25 miles and 6500feet of ascent :shock: love that first pic, a shame the clag kept sneaking in and out at the worst times, incredible effort though, hope you got better weather for day 2 :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:18 pm

Here's me thinking you had retired then out of the blue comes this epic. Good to see you're still going strong and enjoying your long walks/cycles :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby rockhopper » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:38 pm

skuk007 wrote:What was the cycle like along the loch? I assume it was quite flat, but I bet it had some dodgy traffic.
Fairly easy going - probably about 150m ascent with a few smallish hills but relatively flat. Very little traffic but then it was around 0830 on a Sunday morning.

dooterbang wrote:M.I.A - like myself 8)
:? :?

dooterbang wrote:Now how will the other 3 be tackled.... p.s have you done the 4 at Loch Treig yet?
Standard route for the other 3 I'm afraid - WR now posted. Not likely to get to Loch Treig until next year - have an idea for an overnighter route worked out for the east of Loch Treig and Loch Ossian - not definite yet though :?

cheers pigeon and chris

Johnny Corbett wrote:Here's me thinking you had retired
:lol: :lol: a spell of clag induced disillusionment and family commitments plus the fact that I'm running out of nearby munros - starting to look at corbetts :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jonny616 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:00 pm

Another great epic there Rockhopper.

I too am running low on nearby munro's. looking at 2 & a half hours drive each way to get up them hills :lol:

regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby monty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Another excellent report Rockhopper. Shame about the clag though. Not sure if I would cycle that road with all the nutters driving it :lol: :lol:
monty

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland