walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A'Chailleach, Carn Sgulain & carn Dearg

A'Chailleach, Carn Sgulain & carn Dearg

Postby munrowalker » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:36 pm

Route description: Monadh Liath Munros: Càrn Dearg, Càrn Sgulain & A' Chailleach

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Monadhliath), Càrn Dearg (Monadhliath), Càrn Sgulain

Date walked: 02/09/2009

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 24 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Afraid its going to be a wee bit shorter a report than I planned as rapidly running out of time what with heading away on holiday on saturday! That and I've another report to write up before then!

Mondays trip was up A' Chailleach, Carn Dearg (Monadhliath), Carn Sgulain with my mate Terry from work. Or should I say Papa Smurf (well that was the crack on the hill with his hat that made him look like a smurf!

Started at the car parking bit at Shepherd's Bridge about 9.30am conditions were perfect, no wind rain, and sun was threatening to come out, how wrong could I be, we got totally drookit!

Path heads up along Creag an Loin and gives a nice view back across the A9 as you ascend to A'Cheallach. Stop off at the hut on the way, and got totally attacked by midges for firt time this year, skin so soft didnae work.

Mist rolls in on route to summit, and then the wind, but hey ho well used to it now so no matter.

Terry makes good pace up here, reckon he was battering on a bit too fast to be honest, he'll pay for it later on.

Pretty straightforward so far, amazed at how dry hillside was going up compared with other hills recently, how wrong could I be...
After summit its a walk along past a bealach to Carn Sgulain, and boy does it look like a doctor who set up here. Heather is all eroded away with huge brown sections with bits if heather sticking up, really quite alien. Someone could probaly descrive it better than me though.

Summit of Carn Sgulain is pretty flat, reckon it was third set of cairns at the top, wasn't that much difference heightwise between any of them.

Reverse route and then long 7km walk along boundary fence (whats left of it) to Carn Dearg, totally muddy along here, but pretty flat so quite easy bash on.

Could hardly see Carn Dearg as we approached it, saw a guy who was wandering about trying to find it, and thought for a second he was actually going to be heading down without finding it.But he saw us heading up so followed us.

Boy is the cliffs off Carn Dearg sheer, good old vertigo kicked in here with the wind, so got to top but kept well back!

At section between Carn Dearg and Carn Ban we dropped down into the valley alongside Allt Ballach to follow stream out back to path.

Really started to rain further down here, but spectacular views back up to cliffs fo Carn Dearg.

Really enjoyed the walk out here, loads of up and down bumpy bits to really get the old legs working.

Thought the walk would never end though as it just seems to go on and on, kept thinking we'd turned the corner to see the car, but always another bit ahead.

Loads of piccies below, and first ones of me on one of my reports. I'm the tall one, Terry is the guy in the white trousers (bit of a bad idea that, and boy did he get the wind up for that!).

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG
first stream crossed

IMG_0608.JPG
me enjoying the views

IMG_0609.JPG
sweaty!

IMG_0610.JPG
still sweaty!

IMG_0611.JPG
terry at first summit

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG
me at summit of A'Chailleach

IMG_0614.JPG
papa smurf

IMG_0615.JPG
no this isnae the summit but if terry insists on taking me photo here fair enough

IMG_0616.JPG
now thats the summit

IMG_0617.JPG
terry crossing the bogs

IMG_0619.JPG
terry at summit of carn dearg

IMG_0620.JPG
mist and rain coming....

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG
terry...tired

IMG_0623.JPG
cliffs back to carn dearg

IMG_0624.JPG
me, wet, hat not like papa smurf

IMG_0625.JPG
cliffs of Carn Dearg

IMG_0626.JPG
meal n carrdaich

IMG_0627.JPG
view back to start, wet!
munrowalker

Munros:163   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: A'Chailleach, Carn Sgulain & carn Dearg

Postby Mrs T » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:59 am

The obvious question is just how tired was Papa Smurf towards the end? Are you still in speaking terms? I got the impression he isn't that experienced. One needs to be very careful when introducing friends to the delights of hill-walking. We've completely put off at least two couples from ever getting to the hills again... One couple was disillusioned by a week in Gairloch, another by a long weekend in Snowdonia. After that husband and I have never invited anyone unless it's someone who is happy with low level walks on their own. Of course it doesn't help that we usually go in September and for the last X years the weather has been crap. On the other hand, during my other trip to Scotland in early June (with friends far more experienced than I) the weather has been almost perfect. Can only think of one day during the last 5 years that was so wet we didn't venture anywhere.

This is one of the candidates for my week in Aviemore. Just noticed a very worrying bit in the route report, which says

Continue on the track up Gleann Fionndrigh until it ends after just over three kilometres. Take a path on the left which crosses the river by way of a fairly dilapidated footbridge.

You did it the other way around, but if you came by that bridge how bad was it? Bearing in mind, that I am terrified of them :-)
Mrs T
Munro compleatist

Munros:246   Corbetts:17
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:12

Re: A'Chailleach, Carn Sgulain & carn Dearg

Postby mountain coward » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:27 pm

Papa Smurf's bin shot wi' 2 arrows!! Looks like it in one shot! :D

I quite enjoyed that walk myself - did it in frosty/snowy weather so expected no bog but there was still quite a bit - a lot of it was on the approach to A' Chailleach when the slope first slackened off... But boy, that glen walk back is really looooong like you said! I was lucky enough to hook up with another bloke doing it and we chatted all the way round from A' Chailleach - very pleasant company and made the long miles go quicker... :)
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland