walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Udlamain and Sgairneach Mhor, Abridged version

Beinn Udlamain and Sgairneach Mhor, Abridged version

Postby JohnJS » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:37 am

Route description: Beinn Udlamain and Sgàirneach Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Udlamain, Sgàirneach Mhòr

Date walked: 26/09/2011

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A bright morning at Drumochter as I headed towards these two neglected lumps. Their attraction was really the easy drive from Glasgow and avoidance of the harvest time tractor factor, and related suicidal overtaking manoevres required by smaller roads rather than their lumpiness although neglected hlls are often reliably neglected (sic) and make for a peaceful wander.

So off down the service track, the small tunnel contained a fairly vigourous torrent so over the railway line it was. And over the fence too in a stumbling assault course style which I'm sure amused a few drivers hurtling north on the road behind. Not sure if this tunnel ever doesn't contain a fair bit of water so possibly not worth bothering with.

Off the easy path round the lumps and bumps between me and the 'new bridge', I had wondered about this as it seemed to imply the day would go better if some familiarity with an 'old bridge' was had. however. I was quickly at this crossing and impressed by how quickly I had travelled the 2km mentioned. So down over some handy 'bogmats' I squelched and across a bridge that certainly appeared new and which hadn't been preceded by any smal cairns or peaty paths down to some crossing where I could dabble across. By this time the early sun was causing a fair bit of glare in which a buzzard spiraled across the sky rather pleasantly.

Across the bridge I switched to my ageing prescription sunglasses as the said glare seemed to be preventing me charting a dry-ish route from bog to bog. The ground was possibly worse than it might usually have been following the previous days downpour. It wasn't the glare of course the ageing prescription actually spoke of better vision in times past so it was a trade off between not being able to see for the glare or not being able to see. Clouds that covered up the sun briefly plunged the hillside and me into darkness leaving me ankle deep in goo.

Whether I could see or not of course was really making little difference and I considered going back for a couple of 'bogmats' and simply placing them one after another to aid my progress, a group of deer looked down from afar on the ridge of Sgairneach Mhor wondering what my game was. So was I by this point.

As ever there was nothing for it but to bound on through the glaur. Eventually pulling myself up to the ridge I spotted another bridge far below and a nice wee solid path leading up and no doubt to somewhere ahead of me. Some short words were said aloud as I looked at my directions again. So we'll now call the bridges the wrong bridge and the right bridge, and stop all this new nonsense I think. (see pictures.)

Great day now I was up on the ridge though and everywhere there were hares starting up in front of me and running off before stopping to stare back at the clown the deer had told them about who was coming up the daftest way possible. A couple of ptarmigan trotted past too making a wee change from the grumbling grouse.

A bit blowy but a grand pull round the corrie at the top of SG and a stop for a mars bar in the sun. Then away down and up to Beinn Udlamain which was a bit of a slog. Have to say it's worth looking out for the fence posts,nearer the top of this hill, on a cloudier day they could be a real help to finding your route both up to the cairn on the top and off towards A'Mharconaich too for a bit. A wee shower encouraged me to hunker down in the summit cairn and enjoy my lunch before the shower passed and the sun came out lighting up Ben Alder across the way quite magnificently.

After my ascent I have to say the description of going downwards being a trial was a worry but as I've said after my ascent it was a doddle and only took about 20 minutes and one soggy bootful of mud, a pleasure after my squelchy start. And I have to say I feel a bit of sympathy for Heather, awkward she may have been but who isn't at times.

Down to the path and with some perverse interest I came to the 'right' bridge. It's easy path upwards and away seemed to mock me as I headed home but by now that was all behind me and a grand day out had been had with all the usual confusion that peppers my outings. Head for the right bridge and these two hills are an easy trek with a real chance of seeing some lively beasts and an easy trip there and back.
Attachments
P1000721.JPG
The Wrong Bridge
P1000720.JPG
The Right Bridge
JohnJS
Mountaineer

Re: Beinn Udlamain and Sgairneach Mhor, Abridged version

Postby monty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Nice report John, A bridge to nowhere hahaha. Nice one. :D
monty

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:06 pm

:lol: great tale, love the glasses statement :lol:

a bridge too far perhaps :?
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby over60 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:38 pm

ChrisW wrote::lol: great tale, love the glasses statement :lol:

a bridge too far perhaps :?

Your report of the bridges was a good guide for my walk yesterday. Two old guys took your advice and crossed on the right bridge and had an easy incline to summit of Sgairneach Mhor then the round trip over Udlamain.
One point to note - The wrong bridge that you took is not on the point of the old crossing but is nearer to the A9. We passed the small cairn and the original crossing point futher up the track between the 2 bridges.
over60
Munro compleatist

Munros:132   Corbetts:16
Fionas:17   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland