walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two very hot Fannichs

Two very hot Fannichs

Postby trekpete » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:17 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Breac & A' Chailleach: Western Fannichs

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Fannichs), Sgùrr Breac

Date walked: 27/07/2011

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: 27/7/11
Hills: A’Chaileach & Sgurr Breac
Present: Just Me
Weather: Clear blue skies, warm and very little wind. Yes you read that right.
Distance: 12mls approx
Height Ascended: 3756ft approx
Time taken: 6.32hrs walking, 3.23hrs loafing.

After the last 3 Fannichs on the Sunday, it was time to leave Ullapool behind and head for home on Monday morning :( . It was a beautiful summers day as we drove along the A835 heading for Inverness to take Alix to the leisure pool for an hour or so. Got as far as Loch Droma when Alix piped up “ Where’s my shoulder bag?”. Pulled over and sure enough no darned bag to be found, so we had to return to Ullapool :x . Fortunately, somebody had handed it in to the hotel reception and her money was safe, though I kept ribbing her for the rest of the day about the swimming time she lost :lol: . Had an uneventful drive home after that thankfully and stopped of at Loch Lomond to enjoy the sunshine for an hour before dropping Alix back home in Paisley, and the mother in law in Barrhead.

Got up on Tuesday morning with still almost a week of holiday time to kill. As I was looking at the forecast online for the next few days, Susan asked if I wanted to go back up. Silly bloody question that was as the forecast was looking very good. Within half an hour we were booked into The Harbour Lights in Ullapool for 4 nights and we were on the road back up :D . Totally nuts :lol: .

When I woke on Wednesday morning and looked out the window, I was greeted with a glorious clear blue sky :D . Breakfast was soon shovelled down and I was heading out of town enroute to finish of the Fannichs on a perfect summers morning. Tee shirt and shorts were the order of the day and a laagering of sunblock. I never put any on the legs as they were still pretty pealy wally for this stage of the summer. A decision I would regret later on :lol: .

Got parked up at the normal starting point beside the A832 and as I was getting geared up, a walker appeared asking if I could help. He and his mate had a campervan just inside the gates of the private road with a flat battery and wondered if I could give them a jump start. Nae bovver, the van started first go and I was soon back at the car park. They joined me a few minutes later as they were headed for the same hills. Another car pulled in and a couple of girls got out, who were intending to run over the five hills. Pretty fit girls :wink: , they were half way down the road to Loch a’Bhraoin by the time I got to the gate.

If only everyday started like this :D .

I kept straight on at the cross roads this time. I had a photo in mind from the other day.

Loch a’Bhraoin and today’s targets in the centre.

The shot I had in mind. Looking down the loch into Fisherfield.

As I crossed over the bridge the 2 girls were well up the hillside onto Druim Reidh.

A view back across the loch to Meall an t-Sithe.

On a day like this I wanted to get up high as soon as possible so I decided to head up for Druim Reidh myself. The going is easy to begin with, though a little wet underfoot then it steepens high up as the path picks a line through the crags. Nothing to difficult really.

Stopped for a look back out over the loch. Not a bad view I thought :D .

By the time I got onto the Druim Reidh there was no sign of the girls. Guess they made pretty good time on the fairly easy going ground here.

Looking up along Druim Reidh.

I followed the faint path which heads out across Druim Reidh crossing a few peat hags heading for the higher ground leading up to Toman Coinnich. The first few hundred meters look as though it would be very wet going after a rainy spell.

Looking back down with the Dearg’s now in view.

Wishing I had went to An Teallach.

Looking up Toll an Lochain to Toman Coinnich and A ‘Chailleach.

Another view higher up.

A look to the other side towards Sgurr Breac.

Blue skies and sunshine like this don’t happen very often these days but a bit of cloud cover while ascending would have been nice, jesus it was hot. I spotted the 2 girls now who were just about to summit A ‘Chailleach about an hour or more in front of me. Harder ground underfoot now and I was soon on the top of Toman Coinnich.

Sgurr Breac from the summit with Sgurr nan Clach Geala behind.

Looking down Druim Reidh.

Panoramic view to the west.

Taking in the view across to A Chailleach.

While I was taking a rest, feeding my face and enjoying the views the 2 girls were now well on their way up Sgurr Breac. That was my last sighting of them and how I wish I was as fit as that.

The route up A Chailleach.

Loch Toll an Lochain.

Looking back at the descent from Toman Coinnich.

Easy path leading up to the summit of A Chailleach.

I met another walker coming down at this point. He enquired if I knew the forecast for the following day as he was intending to on a lightweight trip into Fisherfield. After I told him the weather was to be windy with some light rain moving in from the west, he thought a tent rather than a bivvy was in order. We parted company and I was soon on the summit and a very fine place it was indeed.

Summit pose with the other Fannichs behind 8) .

Time to get settled down and enjoy the surroundings for a while. It’s really something special to be sitting on a mountain summit in conditions like this all alone, don’t you think. Warm sunshine, gentle cooling breeze and endless vistas in all directions :D . Pure magic only bettered in similar winter conditions.

The 2 walkers I helped out this morning about to arrive and crowd the summit :lol: .

Zoom across to Sgurr nan Clach Geala and Sgurr Mor.

An Teallach.

Into Fisherfield.

Slioch.

Zoom down to the north end of Loch Fannich.

Lochivaron Bothy.

The 2 walkers from this morning arrived and we chatted for a while before they left to head back down as they had already come over Sgurr Breac. I lingered a while longer.

The 2 walkers heading down.

Guess it’s time to follow on behind them now.

An Teallach keeps drawing the eye.

Had to have a pose here 8) .

Straight forward and easy walking over the south flank of Toman Coinnich. The path seemed to disappear for a while but it is soon picked up again as you get onto the west side of Sgurr Breac. Again it was easy walking and you soon reach the flat summit.

Sgurr nan Clach Geala from the summit.

Zoom across to Ben Mor Coigach and Stac Pollaidh.

Down to Loch a’Bhraoin.

Time for a summit pose again 8) .

Finished off the last of the grub here and remembered I had not put any suncream on the legs at the start of the day. I think the sun had been working o/t and turning them red :lol: . Time to start descending to the head of the pass and tackle the 4mls back out to the car again for the 2nd time in a few days.

Great view over The Fannichs on the way down.

An Acme instant zip wire would have been very handy at this point :lol: .

A shelter of sorts at the head of the pass with Sgurr nan Clach Geala towering above.

Had a drink from the Allt Breabaig here, Yuk! Not the best :o .

The water really was not that great despite using my filter bottle. Got some much better water a bit further down running off Sgurr nan Clach Geala. A very hot and sticky walk now ensued down the track, playing leap frog with another couple of walkers that had appeared.

A bit to go yet.

A perfect spot for skinny dipping, if I did not have a dinner table booked in The Arch Inn.

Back at Loch a’Bhraoin.

One final look back.

Well, How good was that! A full day spent walking with tee shirt and shorts in lovely warm sunshine in fantastic surroundings. No midge trouble, just some cleggs on the walk back out. A fitting way to finish of the last of The Fannichs :D :D :D . The legs were well red and I reckon the glow from them that night would have been visible from the Space Station :lol: :lol: .
trekpete

Munros:267   Corbetts:73
Fionas:53   Donalds:64
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:17   

Re: Two very hot Fannichs

Postby kev_russ » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Another superb report and pics pete :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:52 pm

Had the same weather when I did these two. :D

A great walk and your pics are fab!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Bod » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:40 pm

Superb report again! Loving it....... :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby skuk007 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:52 pm

Great pictures Pete, you definitely made the right decision to pop back up (even if it seemed a bit crazy), great views everywhere you looked. I was going to say perfect weather for walking but it does look quite hot. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland