walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Getting dirty on number thirty!!

Getting dirty on number thirty!!

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:25 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 20/09/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 910m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Late start for this one, didn't get to parking bay until after 1pm, on the drive up the cloud was loitering just below the summits, so the optiMIST in me was hoping it may lift by the time I reached the summit!! I had read the reports on this one, so I was prepared for the bogs en route.

Followed the road to Kirkton Farm as per the WH route, nice view to Cruch Ardrain to my right with the cloud almost lifting from the summit.
DSC_0002.JPG
Cruach Ardrain

Then left the WHW track to follow the path towards the railway line, where there is a bridge that takes you safely across.
DSC_0008.JPG
Bridge

Once past the railway, I get a small taste of whats to come as the path starts to get rather mucky, and spots of rain start to fall, not to worry, a decent view back to the Lui group keeps my head in the game as the view ahead is rather murky
DSC_0015.JPG
Lui group
DSC_0019.JPG
The view ahead

The rest of the ascent was grey, windy, wet and BOGging!!!! There were sections where I had to make good use of the fence, which runs all the way to the South Top, to get over some of the bogs. I finally reached the summit in just over 3 hours
DSC_0034.JPG
Almost smiling!

As seems to be the case when I see heehaw from a summit, 15-20 mins into my descent the cloud starts to break, then eventually gets positively summer like!!!! :evil: Still at least I was getting some of the views that I had missed on the way up 8)
DSC_0043.JPG
Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin
DSC_0049.JPG
Crianlarich group
DSC_0053.JPG
Lui group, still shy!
DSC_0056.JPG
Cruach Ardrain

Despite some of the bad press Challum gets, I really enjoyed this walk, even discovered that I am a pretty nifty mud surfer :lol: Most definitely the muddiest I've done so far, but once I was at peace with the fact I was going to be knee deep in mud at times, it just added to the fun factor. This is Scotland afterall 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Getting dirty on number thirty!!

Postby Graeme D » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Shame about the summit clag. It is weird though, how often it lifts 15 minutes or so after leaving the summit! :evil: One I still have to do - think I'll tackle it from the other side.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:08 pm

Well done LW.

It is a BIT of a bogfest!! You're right about using the fence. I did for a fair bit of the way, although it did dawn on me that if the farmer saw what I was up to he wouldn't have been pleased!!!!

Did you enjoy the freaky stiles? A bit precarious!!!

Thanks for posting the photos, its nice to know that were views to be had :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Missed the bogfest on this one as i came up the northern slopes from the Corbet Cam Chreag. Great views all round from the summit if the weather is good but i was also in the clag. :D
monty

Postby Del246 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Well done. I was ment to do this hill today but my pal talked me out of it due to it being prone to being boggy. Instead we are keeping it for a winter walk so he can show me the ropes with an ice axe and crampons. I done Beinn Ime this morning and got great weather although it turned out to be a bogg fest too !!!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Graeme D » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:05 pm

monty wrote:Missed the bogfest on this one as i came up the northern slopes from the Corbet Cam Chreag.

That you admitting on a public forum to being on a Corbett? Shame on you man! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:54 am

Pity about the mist but you got some good views :D Takes me back - this was my no.50 - I also managed to miss the bogs as they were all frozen over 8) cheers
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:10 am

Great effort LW, shame about the clag but at least it lifted a little for the descent and allowed you to get some nice pics on the way down :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:15 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:It is weird though, how often it lifts 15 minutes or so after leaving the summit!

It's done that on the last 4 walks I've been on. Maybe I should spend an extra 15 mins at summits in future :lol:

pollyh33 wrote:Well done LW.

It is a BIT of a bogfest!! You're right about using the fence. I did for a fair bit of the way, although it did dawn on me that if the farmer saw what I was up to he wouldn't have been pleased!!!!

Did you enjoy the freaky stiles? A bit precarious!!!

Thanks for posting the photos, its nice to know that were views to be had :lol:

Those bloody stiles were awkward!!! Still not as bad as the slanty wobbly one over the gorge on Cruachan tho!!! :shock:

monty wrote:Missed the bogfest on this one as i came up the northern slopes from the Corbet Cam Chreag. Great views all round from the summit if the weather is good but i was also in the clag. :D

I may venture up again in winter to see what i mist!

Del246 wrote:Well done. I was ment to do this hill today but my pal talked me out of it due to it being prone to being boggy. Instead we are keeping it for a winter walk so he can show me the ropes with an ice axe and crampons. I done Beinn Ime this morning and got great weather although it turned out to be a bogg fest too !!!

Should be a good hill to get to grips with the axe and crampons, going by MWIS winter aint too far away 8)

rockhopper wrote:Pity about the mist but you got some good views :D Takes me back - this was my no.50 - I also managed to miss the bogs as they were all frozen over 8) cheers

Considering what the summit was like, I did well with the views on the way down 8)

ChrisW wrote:Great effort LW, shame about the clag but at least it lifted a little for the descent and allowed you to get some nice pics on the way down :D

I'm sure the clag just waits til I'm off the summit before lifting :evil: Just makes those blue sky days all the more special 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland