walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr -nered in the Mamores

Sgurr -nered in the Mamores

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Èilde Mòr

Date walked: 29/09/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I haven't been out for a wee while and whilst trawling through the forum I remembered Gammy Leg Walkers report on the Eastern Mamores, so my decision was to try and clock Binnein Mor and Binnein Beag. MWIS forecast looked foul, but I took that with a large pinch of salt and checked the BBC, that looked very favourable, so up early(0530) Wednesday morning and on the road to Kinlochleven. Hoped to get there and on my way fairly early, that was soon thwarted by the ridiculous traffic all the way to Tyndrum.

The morning weather was fantastic and the view as I drove across Rannoch Moor was magical and just got better as I drove on towards Glencoe.
I got parked up at the church in Kinlochleven, booted up and then my day went down hill from there.
Church carpark.JPG

My route was to head for Sgor Eilde Beag, climbing the south side and carry on up the ridge to Binnein Mor and drop down past the wee lochan between the two Binnein's and head up Binnein Beag, drop back down to the lochan and walk back out

Schoolboy error #1, I had printed off my maps from above the tree line thinking I had nothing better to do than walk uphill( no ****!) and pick up my bearing for the landrover track. I'm sure none of you will be so dumb, but from the church carpark the path isn't so well signposted with numerous little nature trails crisscrossing all over the place. The path up the side of the church Is signposted Loch Eilde to the right, ignore that and go left following the path up and around past some benchs and you come to a little ford on your left, cross that and your on a good path up the hill.
Path to side of church.JPG

Not sure if this is classed as schoolboy error #2, but I felt as if I was carrying a kitchen sink up that first climb, and for the rest of the day and for whatever reason could not get my bahookie in gear. I was enjoying the views, the weather was great, but could I get moving - no way, it seemed I was stopping every couple of hundred metres. After what seemed like ages I cleared the treeline and made the landrover track and cut away to the right ( #3), backtracked and picked up the path heading for the climb upto Sgor Eilde Beag. Still dragging my backside I made the bealach and the approach to Coire an lochan. I had farted about so much in the morning and still couldn't get my s&*t together. It was either up SEB and along to Binnein Mor or cross over past the lochan and attempt Sgurr Eilde Mor.
Sgurr Eilde Mor.JPG

Sgurr Eilde Mor,with party of walkers on the skyline.JPG

Don't ask me why but I decided to go for Sgurr Eilde Mor, which at first seemed fine but then the MWIS forecast of high winds kicked in, nearly blowing me off my feet as I made my way up,first the grassy slopes then over the rocks, eventually making the summit about 1430, a ridiculous amount of time. At this point it was still warm, with great visibilty but the wind was getting a bit of a concern on the western slopes.
As I looked across to Binnein Mor/ Binnein Beag and beyond I thought if that view doesn't get me motivated, nothing will. I sat awhile and soaked up the view towards Ben Nevis and the Grey Corries to my right, what a panarama. I sat there so long I actually made myself a nice little seat with a back rest.
The Grey Corries.JPG

Ben Nevis, CMD arete and Binnein Beag in left of foreground.JPG

Ridge leading off Binnein Mor back to Sgor Eilde Beag.JPG

Binnein Beag, with lochan.JPG

Looking across to towards Binnein Mor/ Binnein Beag I knew today that I had no chance of topping them, so lethargically I made my way NW down the scree towards the lochan and literally crawled back down towards the landrover track and the walk back to my car, even that took ages and eventually I got back, a quick change and a little jaunt around to the Clachaig Inn to check it out.
SNB23161.JPG

Sitting in the bar with a cracking pint of Loch Leven and waiting on my beef and bean Burrito, I realised for all my tribulations I had enjoyed my day and would have been gutted if I had jacked it in earlier. So well fed and watered, I set off down the road, strangely satisfied.
I guess all walks can't be wonderful and it isn't always the weather conditions that put a downer on things, so just try and keep your chin up and take the positives out of the experience.

a quick PS, at the start of my walk I got talking to a guy out for a hill run, he told me he was recovering from a bout of Lymes disease, which he got from a tick in 2004, I wasn't aware the effect of a tick bite could be so daunting, or prolonged, as he had been seriously laid low and was only now getting back to full fitness, a sobering thought.
Last edited by MarilynMunro on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Sgurr -nered in the Mamores

Postby PeteR » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:39 am

Interesting comments in your report. I've often had those lethargic experiences too, when getting motivated can be a nightmare and I stop and start all the time. You're not alone there. I seem to remember the walk up to these hills took me longer than I had expected when I was up there recently. It really plays on your mind doesn't it?

You had some great weather though and excellent pictures too. I'm glad that on reflection you realised just how much you had enjoyed your day. And the other hills will still be there when you go back :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:25 am

It may not have started as the best of days in the hills MM but it turned out pretty good and you grabbed some beautiful photos, I think I would have sat as long as you did too with views like that :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby MarilynMunro » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:28 am

Pete, Chris, Thanks for the encouragement, it may not be the last time I feel like that, but as you say as long as you get something out of the day.
And the views were glorious, and I will be back. On a plus I won't have to cross over and do SEB now :lol: , I can just walk along the ridges and capture the two Binnein's.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Some good photos there Marilyn. Might be best to take a full map in future rather than a print off.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby MarilynMunro » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Trust me Johnny, lesson learned.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby monty » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:25 pm

Good effort MM. Some great views there with splendid photos. Never mind the odd mistake or two. You bagged a good hill. :D
monty

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:52 pm

What a report MM,

Loved your photos and your honesty.

Just remember your mistakes are an amazing help to people like me who have still to venture up this way. :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby MarilynMunro » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:15 pm

monty wrote:Good effort MM. Some great views there with splendid photos. Never mind the odd mistake or two. You bagged a good hill. :D

Cheers Monty, funny feeling there are more mistakes along the way. A cracking hill in cracking weather
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby MarilynMunro » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:23 pm

pollyh33 wrote:What a report MM,

Just remember your mistakes are an amazing help to people like me who have still to venture up this way. :lol:

Don't think you need much help Polly, you're ripping through these hills like a ten yr old boy(topical qoute) :lol: By the way, congrats on your epic day out at the recent meet, kudos :clap:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:32 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:What a report MM,

Don't think you need much help Polly, you're ripping through these hills like a ten yr old boy(topical qoute) :lol: By the way, congrats on your epic day out at the recent meet, kudos :clap:

Thanks MM,

Are you thinking of heading up to Kintail for the meet?
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:12 am

Hadn't really thought about it Polly. Although just had a look and Bod looks like he's got it hand for an epic meet, unfortunately I'm not sure what my roster is for that time, also I may be in the States about that time.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland