walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowdons Northern tops.

Snowdons Northern tops.

Postby Rekrab » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:27 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Foel Gron, Moel Cynghorion, Moel Eilio

Date walked: 29/09/2011

Time taken: 5.5

Distance: 18.1 km

Ascent: 1584m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the weather sorting itself out finally I got the wife to stamp the passport for another trip to snowdon, and this time it was to complete the last 5 tops I needed to tick.
I recruited Adrian a local Welshman to come on the walk and we set a plan in motion (he pulled a sicky).
The original plan was to park in Llanberis and make our way up Moel Eilio, Foel gron. Foel Goch, Moel Cynghorion, and Llechog.

Moel_Eilio.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After the tour of Llanberis (we didn't have a road map just an OS 1:25k) we were having a hard time finding the road to take to the start of our route so we decided to park at the Snowdon railway and head up the Llanberis path then Hourseshoe over to Moel Eilio instead, or else we'd be touring Llanberis all day.

The Llanberis path is supposed to be long tiring slog up, but as Adrian and I have never walked together before the banter was flowing and we were up to the steep bit in no time. the major topic of conversation was how someone recently drove a 4x4 up to the top of Snowdon. We were blessed with good views and were constantly trying to find a do-able route for driving up, but concluded it was a mystery as every route we could think of had a boulder field to traverse before continuing.
P8050033.JPG
Moel Cynghorion from Llanberis path

P8050035.JPG
Looking to Crid y Dsgyl from Llanberis path

P8050036.JPG
Me infront of Moel Cynghorion beside random Cafe half way up the path

P8050037.JPG
Looking back along the Llanberis path Lechog is the peak in the Center

we weren't heading to Snowdon summit as Adrian had done it half a dozen times and I've done it three times this year. As we got near the top to where we decided to stop for lunch we spotted a ruin from a little cottage just below Crib y Drsgl and got out first views of the Moel Hebog group over Beddgelert and I got a very Atmospheric picture of Moel Hebog.
P8050046.JPG
Moel Hebog from top of Llanberis path

Views of the Nantle ridge and Mynydd Mawr were stunning but slightly blue and hazy as the sun we only just behind them
after lunch we spotted the top of the Snowdon ranger path and with a quick conversation we decided not to nip up to Snowdon and get on with the ridge ahead.
P8050047.JPG
Foel Goch, Foel Gron, and Moel Eilio from the top of the snowdon ranger path.

P8050055.JPG
Moel Hebog group from Snowdon ranger path.

P8050056.JPG
Moel Cynghorion from Snowdon ranger path

P8050057.JPG
Y garn and the start of the Nantle ridge

as we started to head up Moel Cynghorion we'd not seen any walkers and had these next three hills all to our selves away from the Snowdon crowds!!!

The climb from the saddle to the summit took 20 minutes and as the sun passed over above us now the blue haze had started to lift off of the mountain ranges west of Snowdon.
P8050067.JPG
Mynydd Mawr from Moel Cynghrion

P8050064.JPG
The western Glyders from Moel Cynghorion

we counted 11 3000ers could be spotted from the top of Moel Cynghorion
P8050063.JPG
Snowdon and Crib y Drsgyl from Moel Cynghorion

we quickly headed down to the saddle and over to Foel Coch again we timed the walked ot the top and it took 30 minutes with 2 breaks
P8050070.JPG
Foel Gron and Moel Eilio from Foel Goch

P8050071.JPG
Moel Hebog group and Nantle group from Foel Goch

as you can see from the pics these hills are rolling and grassy so the going was very easy and in no time we found our way off foel Goch and on to Foel Gron.
P8050076.JPG
Mynydd Mawr (Big mountain translated) and it's is a very appropriate name

we stopped and had our second lunch (yes second Adrian can eat for Wales!!) on Foel Gron
P8050073.JPG
Adrian with Foel Gron summit and Moel Eilio in the back

P8050076.JPG
Mynydd Mawr (Big mountain translated) and it's is a very appropriate name

after our second lunch we just had Moel Eilio to do and then it was time to head back down to Llnaberis.
there is almost no climb involved in climbing from Foel Gron to Moel Eilio and the summit was quickly had.
P8050077.JPG
Heading up Moel Eilio

P8050080.JPG
Looking back to the ridge just traversed, Snowdon and Crib y drsgyl.

the views over to Canaefron and Menai straight were lovely
and we couldn't keep our eyes off some distant peaks on the coast or the Irish sea.
P8050082.JPG
Distant Coastal peaks.

P8050083.JPG
Moel Eilio summit. my last Snowdon top.

P8050085.JPG
Snowdon and crib y Drysgl and Moel Cynghorion where we spent today.

P8050086.JPG
Llanberis with Eilidir Fawr

we headed down to Llanberis with this strange September heat wave baking out backs
thanks for reading!!
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland