walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Glas, Sgiath Chuil

Meall Glas, Sgiath Chuil

Postby gman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:42 pm

Route description: Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil from Glen Dochart

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 30/09/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 15.75 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Did the Ben Vorlich 2 at Loch Earn last Saturday & the paths were fairly busy, even a queue for the scramble. These 2 aren't as popular but the've got their own character. Might not have been as much fun if it had been raining all week & the ground was boggier though!

Got to Auchessan just after 9 & parked on grass verge facing Crianlarich, when I got back others were parked in front of me so couldn't see oncoming traffic too well when pulling out(!). Started off road to farm about 9:30
meall glas sgiath chuill_30Sep2011_0001.jpg

Went past all white buildings & barn on right - half a dozen dogs ran out of the barn to say hello/bark insanely. Were called back by voice from barn. Then through a couple of gates to the fence round woodland area. They've marked the paths with white discs showing footprints.
meall glas sgiath chuill_30Sep2011_0004.jpg

Bit muddy on the route between fence & burn but not too bad, there had been a couple of dry days before. Looking back down you get a view of Ben More - handy to remember where the start/finish point is relative to this as the route is often pathless.
meall glas sgiath chuill_30Sep2011_0007.jpg

Eventually got to end of fenced woodland and the path petered out, but followed the burn till the sleeper bridge & dam were reached.
meall glas sgiath chuill_30Sep2011_0009.jpg

Took compass bearing from dam & headed up towards the crags.
meall glas sgiath chuill_30Sep2011_0013.jpg

For most of this route I was the only person on the hills (with a couple of deer for company) so I was glad I've started using walking poles since you get extra grip on boggy ground and steep descents on grass.
meall glas sgiath chuill_30Sep2011_0015.jpg

Further up you get a better look at the crags, headed straight for them and it's easy to walk around to the peak. There are a few stalker's paths on these hills but they seem to bypass the summits.
meall glas sgiath chuill_30Sep2011_0020.jpg

The cairn is just behind the crags - one down, but still the descent/climb to Beinn Cheathaich to come.
meall glas sgiath chuill_30Sep2011_0028.jpg

The grass is very steep on the descent so poles came in handy, at the bottom there's more boggy ground to cover before heading upwards.
meall glas sgiath chuill_30Sep2011_0029.jpg

Couldn't find a path so it was straight across to the ridge at the north side, there was a faint path once I was heading upwards. Then on to the cairn - wind picking up by now.
meall glas sgiath chuill_30Sep2011_0042.jpg

From here it's an easy ridge walk to Meall Glas, met 4 guys coming from the summit .
meall glas sgiath chuill_30Sep2011_0044.jpg

From the cairn, I just headed back down & tried to follow the route. Couldn't find any path or burn to follow so I just headed for the left hand side of Ben More with Meall Glas behind me:
meall glas sgiath chuill_30Sep2011_0058.jpg

Eventually the fenced wooded area came into view & I knew I was going to the right of it. Then I found the burn with a path at the side, but the direct route I took was OK too & was a bit more interesting than following a path. Next there's a style over the fence (seen from Auchessan side):
meall glas sgiath chuill_30Sep2011_0062.jpg

Straightforward from here back to the farm.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chuil

Postby monty » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:06 pm

Well done Gman. Good report with some nice photos. I did these from the north in blazing sunshine. :D
monty

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Nice report gman and some cracking photo's with great colours :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby jester » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:07 pm

I did these in winter, very enjoyable hills. Did you see any signs regarding deer stalking on the access road?
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby jester » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Checking my photos I couldn't find one of the trig point. :?
Turns out that is Beinn Cheathaich and I didn't do that one. For a minute I thought I'd went to a summit cairn instead of a trig! :crazy:
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby gman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:33 am

There was a sign, think it was on the access road bridge, if there's any stalking they'll try to mark alternative hillwalking routes with posts.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:39 am

Smashing report. I did these two from Glen Lochay a few months back. Really enjoyed them despite my moaning. I think the Glen Lochay route is slightly easier :?
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:28 pm

Nice one gman, I fancy these with a wee covering of snow and the bogs frozen over :D
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland