walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cooked on Coniston

Cooked on Coniston

Postby ridgerunner » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Coniston Old Man, Dow Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: Dow Crag, The Old Man of Coniston

Date walked: 29/09/2011

Time taken: 4

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 958m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yes 24 centigrade for second half of our week based in Keswick.
Decided to have a day to myself and do a clockwise circuit of Coniston Old Man via the south rake of Dow Crag.
Wasn't sure how much space there would be at Walna Scar road end so arrived early at 0915 to find plenty of spaces and was surprised on returning to see even a camper van had made it up the very steep access road.
P1000243.JPG
looking towards COM from car park

P1000244.JPG
view toward Swirl How

Headed south-west along the Walna Scar track then north-west towards Goat's Water.
P1000245.JPG
First view of Dow Crag

Then a very small drop to Goat's Water and a simple crossing of its stream.
From here onwards the dry looking stones proved to be very slippery.
P1000246.JPG
Goat's Water

The view of Dow Crag from here looks intimidating and the south rake isn't easy to see in the following photo.
Its not either of the two obvious gulleys luckily!
Carefully follow the skyline in from the left to the exact centre of the picture. This is where the rake starts and it is hidden behind this ridge. A path zig-zags up the scree to the start of the rake.
P1000247.JPG
Dow Crag

I would advise wearing a helmet here as i dislodged several rocks that fell a long way and i even found a walking pole.
The centre of the rake is quite loose and its safer and more fun to scramble up the sides of the rake alternating from side to side. Easy scrambling but the rocks were slippy so slow careful progress.
My pictures from the top of the rake refuse to be rotated and uploaded to the website so have included one from nearer the summit of Dow Crag
P1000250.JPG
view of the start of rake heading diagonally to the right

From the top of the rake its only a short walk to the top of Dow Crag.
Unfortunately a cloud came in to stop me getting the best of the view from here..
P1000251.JPG
looking back to Dow Crag

P1000252.JPG
looking across to COM

Became very windy nearing summit of COM though still very warm.
Headed north and as still very windy decided to drop down east to Levers Water from Levers Hawse.
This was a very heavily repaired path at some stages but i never saw anybody else on it. Very sheltered and warm in this valley.
P1000254.JPG
Levers Water

In the above photo my path contours round the Water on the right side and on the far left side there is an obvious rock at the waters edge. AT first i thought it must be a monument as something very white was on it.
But then i started to wonder if i had heat stroke when it started to look like a bride in her wedding dress.. Too far away to get a decent photo. However at the far end of the Water i met a couple who had walked round the Water and confirmed it was a bride and groom dressed in their finery , perched on top of the rock and getting photos taken! Maybe a local tradition?
From here a pleasant mild descent to the Pudding Stone [east of Low Water] which i have photographed from its easy side. Couldn't resist a challenge and apart from a slightly awkward first step up , a nice easy scramble to the top.
P1000255.JPG
Pudding Stone
Then joined up with the usual ascent route and an easy stroll back to the car.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ridgerunner
Scrambler

Munros:87   

Re: Cooked on Coniston

Postby icemandan » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:27 pm

Excellent photos - wouldn't think it was October. When I was a kid in the 70s, my grandparents lived in Coniston and my brother and I used to make a few pennies opening the gate for people on the Walna Scar road.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland