walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ime from Butterbridge

Postby Del246 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 30/09/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 810m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I know there are lots of reports for Beinn Ime but I couldnt find many detailed reports for the route from Butterbridge. 2 reasons for this route, 1 - I never had much time ( from this appraoch you start at 200m above sea level ) and 2 - I couldnt face the zig zag path through the trees at Arrochar again !!

So I parked in the carpark just after the sharp bend at the Rest and Be Thankful. At the car park you get what I think is the best view of Beinn Ime, from Butterbridge.

DSC01856.JPG

After leaving the carpark walk back along the A83 over the bridge and when you see the ruined house its time to leave the road and head up. I decided to head for the Bealach a' Mhargaidh which lies between Beinn Ime and Bein Luibhean.

DSC01880.JPG
Leaving the A83, the ruined house with Beinn Ime in the distance

You will find a path here to follow. The path basically follows the right hand side of a stream all the way up to the Bealach a' Mhargaidh. One word of warning, it was very boggy in places. The path isnt the best defined but just keep following the stream. You cant go wrong !

DSC01860.JPG
Follow the stream

Once you follow the path/stream up onto the Bealach a' Mhargaidh the path fades away ( it did for me anyway ! ) But you dont really need a path anymore as Beinn Ime now rises right above you. All you need to do is pick your line of attack and go for it ! I must admit, a few months ago I would of been uneasy without a path to follow but im getting a bit more confident with my navigation and im finding Viewranger on my Iphone a great back up and confidence booster.

DSC01875.JPG
Beinn Ime from Bealach a' Mhargaidh

From the Bealach a' Mhargaidh you get a great view back down the valley towards Stob Coire Creagach

DSC01862.JPG
Looking back down the glen

After a final push I was soon on the summit. Although with the haze and a bit of mist the views were slightly obscured.

DSC01867.JPG
Summit

DSC01863.JPG
The Cobbler through the haze

DSC01865.JPG
Beinn Luibhean through the haze

DSC01869.JPG
Looking down to the Rest and Be Thankful and the starting point.

DSC01879.JPG
A superb looking Beinn an Lochain on the descent

4 hours in total which includes a few wee stops. I hope this assists anyone thinking of using this route.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn Ime from Butterbridge

Postby skidmerc » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Nice photos! Was that today?
skidmerc
Munro compleatist

Munros:44   Corbetts:2

Postby Del246 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Cheers. No it was Friday !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Oh Derek, loving your idea of getting nearer and more elevated before starting a walk :D Nice one.!

How much time do you think it saved you going this way. Must confess I did Beinn Ime at the same time as Narnain, so didn't see half of what you managed- well worth taking a different route :)

Where's next? I'm thinking Glenshee 4 before the snow comes!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby Del246 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks Polly. I think I add on 30 minutes on every trip taking pictures !! I think you save about 2 hours in this direction. Its roughly half the distance than approaching from Arrochar and sometimes it is nice seeing hills from different view points.I had already done Narnairn otherwise I would of came from the Arrochar side. In particular I admired Beinn an Lochain on the descent, its been my favourite Corbett so far. I have no idea what to do next ! Glenshee 4 looks good and will get you closer to 50. I still need to do them and I will need to do some double or triple Munro days or you will disappear over the horizon !!! When are you next heading out ??
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:56 pm

Del246 wrote:Thanks Polly. I think I add on 30 minutes on every trip taking pictures !! I think you save about 2 hours in this direction. Its roughly half the distance than approaching from Arrochar and sometimes it is nice seeing hills from different view points.I had already done Narnairn otherwise I would of came from the Arrochar side. In particular I admired Beinn an Lochain on the descent, its been my favourite Corbett so far. I have no idea what to do next ! Glenshee 4 looks good and will get you closer to 50. I still need to do them and I will need to do some double or triple Munro days or you will disappear over the horizon !!! When are you next heading out ??

I would have been tempted to take annual leave this week but the weather isn't looking too braw!

I will be off the Monday and Tuesday the following week, so hoping for a clear day. Don't mind the cold but that rain fair gets on my wick!!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby Del246 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:10 pm

Im off Thursday and Friday but the weather doesnt look to good. Im told when to take annual leave in my job so im off the last 2 weeks in November. Dont know if I will get much walking in then but fingers crossed.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby druseful » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:50 pm

I know it's a bit past its original post date, but I just wanted to say thanks for this report.
It's part of a route that I'm planning to take next weekend as a Quality Mountain Day, counting toward my Mountain Leader (Summer) award. But I wasn't sure what the conditions would be like under foot.
I think I can cope with a bit of boggy ground! :)

Thanks again.
druseful
Stravaiging

Munros:11   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Del246 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Not a problem. Glad to of helped !
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby sergechabert » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:00 pm

Hello, I a new here. Yesterday I completed the ascent of Beinn Ime from Butterbridge.

I could not help admiring the beautiful formation of jagged rocks during my ascent.

Could anyone tell me what kind of rocks are they.
Are they granite rocks ?

Also, briefly i observed a small creature dashinf between my legs and darting into a hole in the ground. It was tiny. Too tiny to be a rabbit.
Would anyone know what animal could it be?

Your help would ver much appreciated.
sergechabert
Mountaineer

Postby shadybrady » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:35 am

Walked from Butterbrige to beinn Ime, although slightly different route from post. Same starting point but after following stream for 1km in a south east direction, there is another stream, allt beinn ime that heads off almost due east, this takes you to Glas Bhealach where you the head due south to the summit.

Advise base on a humble opinion

It is a steep climb
Don't do as i did! please keep to the right hand side (southern side) of initial stream as other bank is hard going. Cross stream as you approach allt beinn Ime and again as you ascend east keep stream on your left hand side (right hand side of stream, southern side). You will have to negotiate crossing the stream as you branch off east. there is a broken path almost all the way to the saddle of Glas Bhealach, i would advise for the final steep climb to saddle to cross to northern side of allt beinn ime.

challenging but much more enjoyable that tourist route never met one other person up or down
shadybrady
Mountain Walker

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland