walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Laggan 2/2 - a'Chlachair, Charn and Pitridh

Loch Laggan 2/2 - a'Chlachair, Charn and Pitridh

Postby rockhopper » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chlachair, Geal Chàrn & Creag Pitridh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlachair, Creag Pitridh, Geal chàrn (Laggan)

Date walked: 19/09/2011

Time taken: 7.3 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1350m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: Monday 19 September 2011
Distance: 26km (bike – walk – bike)
Ascent: 1,350m approx
Time: 7.3hrs
Attendees: me

Stayed overnight after yesterday’s Creag Meagaidh walk so was off early. Weather looking better than the previous day (but this wasn’t to last :shock: ). My current walking boots were wearing down a fair bit and I’d bought a new replacement pair – today’s shorter route seemed like a good first outing for them.

Took the standard route for these three hills starting at the car park layby at NN433831 and crossing the river near Luiblea.

The loch was very calm with almost no wind at this time. Early photos are a bit grainy due to the low level of early morning light necessitating using a higher film speed setting. Cycled the first part up to around Lochan Na H-Earba.

Initially followed the track and then took a detour down towards loch Laggan to get a better view of Creag Meagaidh but in the end probably not really worth the extra 1km.

Cycled on up past the next lochan with the sun starting to appear over the hilltops.

It wasn’t long before I reached Lochan Na H-Earba. Still little wind but the sun was now higher up.

Locked up the bike and started off up the track which goes eventually to Loch Pattack. I followed the Allt Coire Pitridh up to 479802 and then broke off more or less due South.

Beinn a’Chlachair clearly in the distance.

No track to follow (at least I couldn’t find one) but the mix of heather and moorland made for straightforward, if a bit boggy, walking conditions.

Headed up the shoulder and round the top of the corrie and then got a view of the route to the summit.

View looking back northwards.

Straightforward walk from there. Light rain on and off but not too bad in between showers. It was rocky under foot for the last part of the way – tended to be a bit slippery as they were wet.

Occasional views over to the Aonach Beag group.

And to the North West

Got to the summit with weather a bit improved.

Now had a good view of the route to Geal Charn

With some interesting light through the clouds over towards Ben Alder

Headed initially back the way I’d come before going more NE and over the 972m point at 486790.

Closer view of Geal Charn

The clag then rolled in and the rain started again. The rest of the way to the summit was shrouded in mist and couldn’t see anything.

Got to the summit cairn of Gael Charn

With no views whatsoever

Waited a bit to see if it would clear but no such luck. Headed off towards Creag Pitridh but took a bit of a detour to try to avoid the wet, slippery rocks on the way up. Managed to cover much of the way on grassy, moorland but this added a bit of time so probably not really worth it in the end.

Further down the mist cleared and I could see Creag Pitridh.

My legs were certainly feeling the effect of almost no exercise for the last four weeks and yesterday’s Creag Meagaidh trip – reckoned I was taking a bit longer than planned. On the plus side, I’d only had some light rain spells with no deluges....yet.

Straightforward walk from here to the summit.

View down Lochan Na H-Earba and the north end of Loch Laggan.

Then headed SW down from Creag Pitridh staying to the east of the crags. Rejoined the track at 472805 and walked back down to get my bike. The rain then came on very heavily and I was thoroughly soaked by the time I got back to the car – didn’t matter by this time and at least it had stayed largely dry for most of the walk.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Loch Laggan 2/2 - a'Chlachair, Charn and Pitridh

Postby Frogwell » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:33 am

I'm liking this! Really atmospheric photos. :thumbup:
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:34 pm

At least some improvement on yesterdays weather, those first two sunrise pics are beautiful. the pano of the Aonach Beag group with the cloud shrouding the tops is another stunner, in fact I could go on and on.

Nice walk, great walk report :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby monty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Well done Rockhopper another three bagged. Love the pano.. with the clouds blanketting the hills. :D
monty

Postby dooterbang » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:33 am

Well done Rockhopper.

Interesting how the fitness goes when not out regular. Been 8 weeks since i walked, i'll be bagging Grahams to build up my fitness :shock: :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:33 pm

i'll be bagging Grahams to build up my fitness :shock: :lol:[/quote]

Going by the Grahams i've did so far most of them are pathless through some rough terrain, might be easier sticking to the Munros for fitness Dooterbang :D

Like the report Rockhopper of a favourite area of mine, that huge cairn on Geal Charn is a great wind breaker.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Brilliant sky shots! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Bod » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:00 am

Yes, very nice Rockhopper........ Loved being up these on my 100th trip. Great pictures :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby MarilynMunro » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:02 am

Really great shots you've got there, seemed to catch the essence of your walk. Could almost feel the weather, ooh hark at me. Naw lets just say, great report.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby jstalker66621 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Its nice to see what this looks like on a decent day. I did it a few months ago in the most horrendous downpour, possibly the wettest I have ever been on a Munro trip, not only did my jacket wet out but my pockets were full of puddles and the drybag I kept my mobile in had filled up (through a tiny hole I had failed to spot when I dropped it the previous week in Glen Etive)...thank the lord for insurance cover!!
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Munros:257   Corbetts:6

Postby cairndiver » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:22 am

Heading up this way for the expected high pressure on Friday to combine this walk with Creag Meagaigh and an overnight camp near Loch Pattack. Looks like a good walk though and your photos were excellent and captured that area well. Did your big Loch Ossian round last week, it was excellent! Hard work with the big pack at times! Keep up the good work!
Cairndiver
cairndiver
Munro compleatist

Munros:135   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:5   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland