walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wind - 1 Dave - 0

Wind - 1 Dave - 0

Postby lomondwalkers » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:16 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm

Date walked: 03/10/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Headed upto Glen Lyon yesterday for my second attempt at the horseshoe. The first attempt didn't even get started due to the culling of the Deer!! Better luck this time, or so I thought, as the Deer hunters had been out on the Sunday.
On the drive up, it had remained dry, with cloud just covering the highest tops, and the wind at low level at least, didn't seem too bad, though the forecast for summits was for 70mph+ gusts and difficult mobility on summits. Driving past the Lawers carpark there were a fair few cars parked up, so I wasn't the only one hitting the hills. Eventually got to Invervar, parking at the small carpark next to the red phonebox. As I was getting booted up, the first spots of rain started to fall. Typical!!!
Crossed the road and through the big gate, following the track through the forest, and through two more gates and eventually out into the open, conditions gradually worsening with the wind picking up and the rain getting heavier, and not seeming to mind which direction it's coming from! Not a day for many photos :( The path (stream???) leads you to a nice wobbly rusty bridge, and once across, the path splits in two, I take the path to the left leading upto and around the forest. The ground here was very slippery, and the going was getting very tough walking into horizontal rain, which had most definitely made up it's mind to blow from the West!!! On I plodded, it was kinda fun at this point! Then I got to around the 2,500 foot mark and it most definitely wasn't fun as a huge gust of wind threatened to knock me off me feet. I crouched down until it passed, then carried on, hoping it would just be a one-off gust.... Then I got onto the plateau just before the summit and the wind was relentless!!! The thing that scares me most at over 3,000 feet is the wind, and with driving rain in my face along with it, I was out of my comfort zone. Eventually I inched my way to the sheltered cairn, which I shared with a fallen Trig. I pulled out the mobile phone for that all important summit snap, then sat for a few moments to see if the wind would ease, no chance!!!! Soaked and slightly scared, the decision to retreat was easy. I looked about for a sign of the path I'd come up, though I think I lost it a few feet from the summit, so I took a rough bearing ESE (not easy when the wind is trying to rip the compass out your hand!!) as I just wanted to drop height asap, and judging by the map, there were no unseen obstacles to stop me, thankfully that was the case and i found the path without any mishaps, other than sliding around like Bambi on mud :lol: Eventually the wind subsided as I dropped height, then, as has been the common theme with my last few walks, the sun came out!!! Amazing how wonderful conditions look when the sun is shining, even when you know it will still be wild up there! Got myself back to the car fairly swiftly, thinking of the irony of having posted about being feert of the wind on another thread just a few days ago :lol: Thankfully no harm was done, but coulda been messy if that wind was much stronger. Still managed a :thumbup: for the summit photo tho :D
Carn Gorm.jpg
Made it!

As I drove home, I couldn't help but notice an empty Lawers carpark, I guess I wasn't the only one whose day was cut short :(
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Wind - 1 Dave - 0

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Well done LW!!!

I'm very aware that one dangerous gust and I could be blown over the side of a hill, so like you I'm happy to sit out the worst of it. And if things don't improve, then head back down where you'll be lucky to catch anything more than a breeze!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby sloosh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:54 pm

Sounds very much like the day I did the horseshoe. I had to lie down flat next to that trig point just to get out of the driving rain long enough to eat a sandwich. Ended up covered in coleslaw, mind you, and only got half a cup of tea because the wind blew it all out the cup. :)

At least you did it. :)
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby soulminer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Been there, done that etc. Same conditions the first time we walked these, but carried on - after much deliberation I may add :shock:. When it time to bail, it's never a wrong decision :thumbup:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby lomondwalkers » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:11 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Well done LW!!!

I'm very aware that one dangerous gust and I could be blown over the side of a hill, so like you I'm happy to sit out the worst of it. And if things don't improve, then head back down where you'll be lucky to catch anything more than a breeze!!! :lol:

Couldn't believe the difference when I got down Polly, was glorious back at the carpark as this photo shows (only time I was brave enough to get the good camera out!)
DSC_0030.JPG
What bad weather???

I see you're fast approaching the half century 8) Anything exciting planned for it?
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby lomondwalkers » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:12 pm

sloosh wrote:Sounds very much like the day I did the horseshoe. I had to lie down flat next to that trig point just to get out of the driving rain long enough to eat a sandwich. Ended up covered in coleslaw, mind you, and only got half a cup of tea because the wind blew it all out the cup. :)

At least you did it. :)

I bravely waited til I was safely back at the car before having my sarnies :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby lomondwalkers » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:15 pm

soulminer wrote:When it time to bail, it's never a wrong decision :thumbup:
Cheers.

My sentiments exactly, everybody has their limits, and I reached mine yesterday.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:19 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:Well done LW!!!

Couldn't believe the difference when I got down Polly, was glorious back at the carpark as this photo shows (only time I was brave enough to get the good camera out!)
DSC_0030.JPG

I see you're fast approaching the half century 8) Anything exciting planned for it?

Strangely enough yes! I've been eyeing up the Glas Maol Circuit at Glenshee. Seems straightforward enough if the weather is good. Off work next Monday and Tuesday, so hopefully at least one of days will be suitable.
pollyh33
Walker

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:17 am

pollyh33 wrote:Strangely enough yes! I've been eyeing up the Glas Maol Circuit at Glenshee. Seems straightforward enough if the weather is good. Off work next Monday and Tuesday, so hopefully at least one of days will be suitable.

Fingers crossed you get a decent day for it! Going by what MWIS are saying, you might even get a wee bit of the white stuff on top 8) Good luck!
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:25 am

lomondwalkers wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:Strangely enough yes! I've been eyeing up the Glas Maol Circuit at Glenshee. Seems straightforward enough if the weather is good. Off work next Monday and Tuesday, so hopefully at least one of days will be suitable.

Fingers crossed you get a decent day for it! Going by what MWIS are saying, you might even get a wee bit of the white stuff on top 8) Good luck!

Oh no LW, I can't do white stuff!!!! :(
pollyh33
Walker

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:32 am

pollyh33 wrote:Oh no LW, I can't do white stuff!!!! :(

They are saying it could hit the 700m mark tomorrow and 800m on Friday, so keep your eyes peeled. I'm hoping to do a winter skills course this year, as I missed out last year.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:29 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:Oh no LW, I can't do white stuff!!!! :(

They are saying it could hit the 700m mark tomorrow and 800m on Friday, so keep your eyes peeled. I'm hoping to do a winter skills course this year, as I missed out last year.

I think my eyes will be staying at home with the rest of me!!!!

Going the WH/ Mountain Safety day on Sunday. So hopefully I'll get info about some winter skills courses too :D
pollyh33
Walker

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:16 pm

pollyh33 wrote:I think my eyes will be staying at home with the rest of me!!!!

Going the WH/ Mountain Safety day on Sunday. So hopefully I'll get info about some winter skills courses too :D

I have mini me this weekend, or I'd have gone along to that also. I see the white stuff did hit some of the higher tops. Hopefully it'll be clear for you to hit the magic 50 before winter proper sets in.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby Paul_Antonia » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:00 pm

What's all this talk of white stuff? We're hoping to nail Ben Vorlich ( Loch Lomond )next week when I get some time off. A little scattering above 800m shouldn't spoil things for us should it? As always we'll be checking MWIS and basing our descisions around that as well as constantly reviewing things on the way up. No risks to be taken by us. Got my eye on something like Ben Chonzie too for when there's a bit more snow around and we don't fancy heading up to Lomond area.
Paul_Antonia
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Paul&Antonia wrote:What's all this talk of white stuff? We're hoping to nail Ben Vorlich ( Loch Lomond )next week when I get some time off. A little scattering above 800m shouldn't spoil things for us should it? As always we'll be checking MWIS and basing our descisions around that as well as constantly reviewing things on the way up. No risks to be taken by us. Got my eye on something like Ben Chonzie too for when there's a bit more snow around and we don't fancy heading up to Lomond area.

The top of our street looks over the Loch and surrounding hills, it certainly looks snow free up that way. If you want to keep an eye on the weather, here is a link to the Loch Lomond webcam, gives a good view to Ben Lomond. http://www.lovelochlomond.com/info/webcam/
You can change the view at the bottom.
Last edited by lomondwalkers on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland