walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Beinn a'Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Postby bigbertie » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:47 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 16/08/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did these 2 hills last Thursday, in quite good weather (I had almost given up hope of decent weather, given the amount of rain in the last few weeks). I had stayed Wednesday night in "By The Way" bunkhouse at Tyndrum which I found on this site - I can recommend it.

I followed the Walk Highland route to Beinn a'Chochuill. On the way up there are great views of Cruachan, although there was cloud on the summits unfortunately.
Ben Cruachan from Beinn a'Chochuill.jpg

From Beinn a'Chochuill summit there are more great views, including the slabs on Beinn Trilleachan and the remote hills north of Glen Kinglass. I continued along the ridge westwards to Beinn Eunaich, and had lunch on the summit (also in cloud). I had started early and it was not yet midday, so rather than descend the south ridge I decided to follow the North East ridge out to Meall Copagach (810m). This ridge has a more remote feeling to it, and allows you to look into Beinn Eunaich's impressive NE corrie.
Meall Copagach 810m.jpg
Meall Copagach from unnamed top.

On the NE ridge there is a top at 880m unnamed on the map - does anyone know if it has a name? When I reached Meall Copagach I found a sheep stuck upside-down and turned it back over. I think I was just in time, as it stumbled off with some difficulty at first but recovered its composure after a few minutes! From the top I dropped down to the Lairig Dhoireann and turned south down the glen and then along the track back to the road. There is a path across the Lairig Dhoireann marked on the map but I didn't find much evidence of it until lower down.

From the track in Glen Strae you can look back up to get a great view of Beinn Mhic-Mhonaidh 796m (see below). I have added it to my "to do" list.
Beinn Mhic-Mhonaidh.jpg
Beinn Mhic-Mhonaidh from Glen Strae
bigbertie

Re: Beinn a'Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:58 pm

Great photos - especially the last one - Beinn Mhic-Mhonaidh does look tempting. It looks like you did an excellent extension to the walk, and it means you didn't have to come down the unpleasantly steep path from Beinn Eunaich to the track.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby canisp » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:05 pm

It seems Thursday was the day to be out last week. Really like the reflection shot of Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby bigbertie » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:15 pm

Unfortunately I can't see how to turn Beinn Mhic Monaidh into a circuit, rather than a "there & back" trip. I suppose one could make a 2-day trip & camp out, perhaps ending at Victoria Bridge? There are some "ancient villages" up Glen Strae but I doubt if there is much to see there. You can also exit to Glen Orchy I think, but that would need some special transport arrangement. And of course I have not done Beinn nan Aighenan....... hmm.

Sorry this is turning into a Mhic Monaidh thread!

Edit - and while on circuits, it also occurred to me on Chochuill that a good circuit would be Beinn a' Chochuill, Stob Diamh (Cruachan) and Beinn a Bhuiridh (a Corbett). I don't think this can be done often, as Cruachan and Chochuill/Eunaich are both such obvious ridges. So much to do.....
bigbertie

Postby canisp » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:09 pm

bigbertie wrote:You can also exit to Glen Orchy I think

There is a good path from GR 243321 in Glen Orchy to a stile over the fence at GR 210336 at the edge of the forest, with a bridge around GR 232332. There’s a Graham Beinn Donachain at GR 198316 which could be included, to give a not quite out and back day.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland