walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A foray to Am Faochagach

A foray to Am Faochagach

Postby trekpete » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Route description: Am Faochagach

Munros included on this walk: Am Faochagach

Date walked: 29/07/2011

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: 29/7/11
Hills: Am Faochagach
Present: Just Me
Weather: Bit of a dreich start but improved as the day went on.
Distance: 10mls approx
Height Ascended: 2454ft approx
Time taken: 4.36hrs walking, 3.06hrs loafing.

After the very hot day on the 27th in The Fannaichs the following day was dull and a bit damp, so we just had a drive around Assynt to pass the day. The following day had a better outlook for walking and it turned out that was the case.

After breakfast in the hotel, I left a dry but overcast Ullapool heading for Am Faochagach. By the time I was heading by Braemore Junction it was raining and the surrounding hills were all clagged in. Dammit! That’s not what I was hoping for today :x . There were already a few cars parked up at the bridge over the Abhainn an Torrain Duibh, the normal starting point for the hills here. I squeezed in and had a bit of a read while watching what the weather was going to do. Thankfully it was just light drizzle here and the clag seemed to be moving up the hill rather than down, so after about 20mins I got kitted up and set off across the road.

Am Faochagach still in the clag.

You cross over the fence into very boggy looking terrain, though fortunately for me it was fairly dry after the recent dry spell :D .

Route across the level strath towards the infamous Abhainn a’Gharbhrain.

The path leads across this boggy terrain to the edge of the river.How good is this, the Abhainn a’Gharbhrain is pretty low and I easily crossed with dry feet at NH281753 :D :D .

My crossing point.

Once over the river the path is very indistinct as I reckon people must cross at several different points depending on the water level encountered on the day. It’s not hard to pick up again as you skirt around the lump of Cnoc a’Mhoraire and from there on it’s straight forward walking up the hillside.

Still drizzly and claggy in The Dearg’s.

Path heading up the hill towards the col between Drochaid a’Ghlas Tuill and Sron Laith.

Although it was still a fairly dreich morning at this point, it was warm and not much in the way of wind, which ment I was walking in just my tee shirt :D .

Still light rain and clag in The Fannaichs.

Improving conditions on Beinn Dearg and Cona ‘Mheal.

A look back down the path towards Loch a’ Gharbhrainn.

After I reached the broad col and turned north heading for the summit, a lone walker was making his way back down. When we met , he informed me the summit was clear which was good to hear :D . I really did not want to end the hols with a no view day.

View south back to the col as the walker makes his way down.

By now the walking was real easy going underfoot on short grass and rocks, with a few cairns to visit on the high spots on the broad ridge.
Still a bit of clag drifting about.

Weather clearing up nicely over The Deargs and Am Faochagach.

To get the best views you have to skirt along the edge of the ridge.

Zoom to Beinn Dearg and Cona’ Mheall.

Amazing how the rocks weather over the years into different shapes.

And how you get a line of White Quartz in amongst it all.

Approaching the summit.

Enough rock up here to build a house, and This! Is the summit cairn :o .

It was pleasingly warm up here and not much wind about. Time to loaf about and enjoy lunch before getting busy with the camera. After about 40mins sitting there immersed in the surroundings 2 other walkers arrived and got a surprise as I stood up from behind the cairn :lol: .

Walker on Cona ‘Mheall.

Creag an Duine.

Seana Bhraigh.

Carn Chuinneag.

Beinn Dearg.

Meallan Ban with some Assynt peaks on the skyline.

Seana Bhraigh and Creag an Duine.

The 2 walkers depart.

Zoom to Suilven.

Summit pose before I leave 8) .

Looking back south on the descent.

About to meet another walker making for the summit.

East to Ben Wyvis.

Back north to the summit of Am Faochagach.

Time to top up the tan on the legs :lol: .

Across to The Fannaichs.

Small waterfall on the Allt na h-Uidhe.

Looking n/w into The Deargs.

The walker I met ascending has caught me up as I crossed back over the Abhainn a’Gharbhrain.

Last look back and what a difference from this morning.

Met another Shiller back at the car, can’t remember his name now, but I think he uses the site mainly for logging purposes. Another good day on the Scottish mountains and a great way to end my hols, warm sunshine and sunburnt legs. Just Seana Bhraigh to do here now, but that looks like next year.

And An Tellach providing a good photo opportunity as I drove back to Ullapool :D .

At that point I had no idea or inclination that I would be back up in Ullapool the following w/e and standing on the summit of An Teallach. Tr coming to this space soon.
Last edited by trekpete on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trekpete

Munros:267   Corbetts:73
Fionas:53   Donalds:64
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:17   

Re: A foray to Am Faochagach

Postby soulminer » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Some fine old views you had in all directions. Some excellent photos taken- as usual :),of some fine hills. Was never my favourite NorthWestern hill,. The day Doogz and I walked up, it was a bog trot and bloody Baltic up top, up and down in record time :) Glad you could spend some time up top to let us enjoy your images. Can't top the An Teallach shot though :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Some nice pics here - far more than I saw :lol: . I had some "fun" on the way back crossing the river...
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:24 am

That looks a really nice walk TP, you got some great pictures in some very difficult circumstances there :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland