walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Dhubh - just a Graham but...

Creag Dhubh - just a Graham but...

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:54 pm

Route description: Creag Dubh, near Newtonmore

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Dhubh (Newtonmore)

Date walked: 24/09/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 4.9 km

Ascent: 500m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast for Saturday the 24th looked slightly more promising than the whole previous week. At last there was a chance to see some sunshine. So even though wind predictions suggested gusts up to 60 mph, we still took the opportunity to visit the hills.
We had some B&Q shopping to do in Inverness anyway so I suggested climbing a "quickie" just a short drive down the A9. Creag Dhubh may just be a Graham, but it always drew my attention each time I drove past Newtonmore - it's an interesting steep-sided hill, an outlier of the main bulk of Monadliath mountains. I expected it to be a good viewpoint - and I wasn't disappointed.
There is a good small car park on the north side of the A86, opposite Lochan Uvie. The eastern flanks of Creag Dhubh looked unbelievably steep from below and the most logical choice, when I looked at the map, would be to walk a short distance down the road and pick a path along Allt na Glaic. Yeah, sure, a logical choice (I've become so LOGICAL these days, have just had a look in the mirror, am I growing Vulcan ears??? :lol: :lol: :lol: ) was not for my husband - he likes his mountains tough!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Expecting a steep and painful ascent, I followed Kevin through the gate and along climbers path leading NE across the slope, with nice birch woods around. The massive wall of vertical rocks to the left-hand side was overwhelming...
...whereas to the right, we could still see Lochan Uvie:
The path vanished at some point and we continued climbing steeply uphill. We crossed some boulders on the way and reached a fence heading directly up the slope. The path reappeared along the fence so we followed it for a couple of hundreds meters. Steeeeeeep but I charged it with high levels of energy! I slipped once and bumped into a rock (ouch, my knee..... :evil: :evil: :evil: ) but generally it was great fun! Especially when I looked behind:
Higher up the boulders gave way to thick vegetation, mostly a sea of bracken, and the path was gone again. Views on the other hand, were getting better with every step:
Out of the bracken sea and... into the heather!
Clouds were coming from the west and the world was getting darker :shock:
Still, the north-eastern sky looked much more friendly:
We reached the more even ground eventually and spent a few minutes wandering along the fence looking for a stile which we knew was supposed to be there somewhere... When we found it, Kevin took some photies standing on it :lol: :
Just past the stile we found ourselves on the path - and the rest of the climb was pure Scottish pleasure :lol: :
Walking along the ridge over a few "lumps and bumps", with a smile on my face and slight pain in my knee...
Views were now first class, great panorama of the Monadliath:
The summit has two cairns, the first one false:
The true cairn:
The false cairn from the main summit of Creag Dhubh:
It was windy on the top but we still enjoyed the scenery. Grand views down to Newtonmore, for example...
The sky still blue but not for long...
Looking south-east from the true summit:
To the south-west, meandering River Calder:
The big, dark bulk of Creag Meagaidh:
On the way down:
For a descent route we decided to give the steep bracken-covered slopes a miss and instead we walked further along the ridge, aiming for a smaller hill with a monument on top. Lower down the ground became wet. We spotted a few frogs and this little guy, a dragonfly nymph:
The vertical slopes of Creag Dhubh seen from the south with Lochan Uvie and River Spey to the right:
The final descent was through birch woods again, some more boggy ground and eventually we landed by the fence, found a gate and the rest of it was easy :lol: Nowe we were in the shadow of the rocky wall:
An interesting place for a waterfall:
The track we picked just past the gate took us down to A86, only a few hundred meters from the car park. Weather was still OK regardless of the overhanging cloud and I was so glad we took another break in refurbishing!
Sadly, my right knee didn't share my enthusiasm :? Since the slip on the slopes of Creag Dhubh it's been a bit sore all the time, especially upset by the descending movement. During our next expedition two days later it wasn't much of a problem, but the pain culminated on Wednesday when we tackled Ciste Dhubh... But it's a subject for another story.
Apart from sore knee I also brought back a big, fat tick. Luckily it was noticed and removed almost immediately, but I was surprised to see one so late in the year... :eh:
Please, don't feel discouraged by my description - this hill may be steep, may cause injuries, but it's a fantastic treat for any mountain-hungry creature, not only a cat. Meow!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Creag Dhubh - just a Graham but...

Postby soulminer » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:06 pm

You have certainly been busy of late ,with your little 'out an about' posts :)
Just wish I could be the same, off work with torn muscle/tendon in right calf :evil: so can only read reports and drool at the thought of being 'out and about' You lucky people- much fist shaking :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Stretch » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:05 pm

Great photos BP, really enjoyed this report.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:08 pm

Creag Dhubh may only be a Graham but it's a fine looking hill and a fine report you have done it, i allways intend to climb it when i'm up at Newtonmore but not got round to it yet but will soon after seeing your report. Cheers
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:47 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Creag Dhubh may just be a Graham, but it always drew my attention each time I drove past Newtonmore

Ditto. One day I'll actually stop and give it the credit it clearly deserves! Thanks for the report. Can't say I've seen too much info out there on this one. :thumbup:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Bod » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:56 pm

Lovely report! I remember eyeing this up when camping at the site close to the A9 just to the South a couple of years back. :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland