walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

Postby Stuart Blakeley » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:52 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

Date walked: 02/10/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1574m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had this on our list even though it looks like it will become a Corbett soon!

We did climb Sgurr Ban, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair and Beinn Tarsuinn back in Oct 2009 but it was a bridge too far to complete all four so we left this one for another day.

After our usual brekkie stop at Tarvie (gonna miss their bacon rolls / mugs of coffee once completed this area!) we parked up in the layby on the A832. We had anticipated it was going to be a very wet day as the rain battered off the car in the central belt on our initial departure.

To our pleasant surprise, it was a very clear morning so we set off keeping our waterproofs in our bags.

This was a very long walk in via Shenavall ( I forgot to time it, but it must have been at least 90 -120 mins to the river crossing (Abhainn Strath na Sealga). I took my flip-flops and a wee towell so as to avoid wet feet for the duration of the day. After our crossing we climbed the steep heathery slopes in the recommended south-west direction so as to avoid the craggy north slopes.

As you look up at the top(s), the real top is on the left hand side
IMG00307-20111002-1613.jpg
The top.....
and has a cairn to mark the top.
IMG00304-20111002-1437.jpg
Summit Cairn - John and Andrew
IMG00305-20111002-1443.jpg
Me and John
After a long arduous walk up it was time to walk back down again (after a coffee break and a time to take in the views back up towards An Teallach.
IMG00303-20111002-1437.jpg
An Tealach

We decided to pretty much follow a more direct route strath back to the river then catch the path and head back to Shenavall. A long walk in and a long walk out.

Long day in fact for this munro..........

It was hard to believe that I even had to spray some factor 15 on my face on the walk back down. The heat was intense.
IMG00308-20111002-1613.jpg
Hard to believe it was October!
Last edited by Stuart Blakeley on Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stuart Blakeley
Munro compleatist

Munros:271   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

Postby kinley » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:20 pm

Cracking looking day - and a tough one. 8) 8) :D

Your corbett count is likely to double while you're relaxing sometime soon :lol:
kinley

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland