walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tolmount & Tom Buidhe....the bog fest

Tolmount & Tom Buidhe....the bog fest

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:21 am

Munros included on this walk: Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 10/10/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 995m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was stunned to find that it has been 4 months since I last walked a Munro ( and I needed that extra work out that only a Munro will give you) my last outing was 4 at Glenshee on May 31st so it made sense to go back there and catch these two.

At the time I couldn't have done all 6 if I had wanted to so I saved these for another day, today was it. MWIS promise cloud free summits and I've got the time to drive round to Glenshee.

Arriving in the car park around 10:15am the skies did not look too promising but it was only just catching the summit of Carn an Turic away in the distance and looked like it could go either way

I suited and booted and got under way after a quick cuppa, as I crossed the bridge by the car park to begin my walk a short shower reminded me of the 50/50 chance on the weather

the first 2k or so was a real bogfest and even as I closed in on Carn an Turic I was thankful of the walking poles for additional stability

I saw a small group up ahead of me taking the direct route straight up the Western face, I remember that from 4 months ago.....I decide to go around the Northern path and have a look at 'Carn an Turic Hut' before cutting back South-East over a lower section to pick up the path.....the 'Hut' was a disappointment, in fact it was a large pile of kindling :lol:

as I cut around the mountain I come across a huge number of hares all sheltering out of the wind at this side of the hill

to the North-East the 'White Mounth Munros' were hanging on to the cloud a little longer

it is a nice steady wander along to the wall end on the Cairn of Claise before turning East along the less obvious path where I see another group of mountain hares sheltering from the cool wind

one of them already has a good winter coat change but is keeping his head brown as a fashion statement, he was so pleased with it he stayed around to let me get a good photo

looking ahead down the boggy pathway both Tolmount and Tom Buidhe are well clear of the cloud, I see the group in front of me heading in the direction of Tolmount so opt for Tom Buidhe first

slip sliding my way through the various bogs I finally reach the first target of the day and begin my ascent

I met a young lady on her way down as I ascended and we had a little chat about the bogfest, I think she said she was doing 4 Munros today; we were both soon on our separate ways again and the summit of Tom Buidhe was soon achieved

there is no cover up here and no trig to use as a tripod but I still had a cuppa and a wee seat on a rock before setting out for Tolmount

as I descended and crossed the bog from hell between the two hills I had a quick word with one of the guys in the group of 4 I had followed up here, they were doing the full 6 :shock: I felt ashamed to to say I was only doing 2 :lol: but what the heck, the sky had changed to blue for a while and a little sunshine was threatening to appear

as I ascended Tolmount I got a great view South-East toward Cairn Broadlands

the wind had got up on the ascent and it was quite chilly now requiring that the hat make an appearance, as I arrive at the summit there is another lone wanderer up there and we exchange the usual greetings as he passes me to descend the hill

some nice views from up here

as the clouds opened I settled down to a nice cuppa and snack before wandering around the top for a while

looking down Glen Callater shows a nice waterfall (on the left, not so impressive on the pic!) and the loch away in the distance

looking wider it is a beautiful panorama with rolling hills as far as the eye can see

the journey back to the car was a long drag through the various bogs and I was glad I was only doing 2, though it was great to get a couple more Munros in as my time in Scotland is down to less than 3 months now.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Tolmount & Tom Buidhe....the bog fest

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi Chris, nice report and familiar views :D We did Glenshee 4 in August, on a good sunny day and enjoyed them a lot. We also photographed a few hares, but they all were still in summer coats, so not as impressive as the fellow in your picture. And once the snow arrives they become really hard to spot.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:04 pm

A walk report with cloud in the sky, that's something new Chris, i'm used to clear blue skys when reading your reports :D
Great report all the same and well done on another 2 Munros after your little break from them :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:16 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Hi Chris, nice report and familiar views :D We did Glenshee 4 in August, on a good sunny day and enjoyed them a lot. We also photographed a few hares, but they all were still in summer coats, so not as impressive as the fellow in your picture. And once the snow arrives they become really hard to spot.

Thanks BP, I thought that hare was a cool a critter as I've seen - hares were running in herds up there, never seen so many :D
by Johnny Corbett on Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:04 pm
A walk report with cloud in the sky, that's something new Chris, i'm used to clear blue skys when reading your reports
Great report all the same and well done on another 2 Munros after your little break from them

Thanks JC - I was in shock for the first 3 miles until a bit of blue appeared :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby gary » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Nice report ChrisW. Some great pics there,looks good up there, I am gonna try and bag them myself but think I may have to wait until next year now
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:270   Corbetts:9

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:19 pm

Great report Chris.

So glad you posted it. If the weather is decent on Sunday, I'm intending heading up that way :D

Fabbie photos as usual but where's the promised shorts and gaiters combo????? :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Del246 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Great pics....again.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:33 pm

gary wrote:Nice report ChrisW. Some great pics there,looks good up there, I am gonna try and bag them myself but think I may have to wait until next year now

Thanks Gary, they'll still be there next year :wink: wait for either a dry or frozen time if I were you save you skidding around and using twice the energy needed.

by pollyh33 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:19 pm
Great report Chris.
So glad you posted it. If the weather is decent on Sunday, I'm intending heading up that way
Fabbie photos as usual but where's the promised shorts and gaiters combo?????

Thanks Polly, hope it stays dry and clears a bit of bog for you before Sunday.
:lol: :lol: I forgot about the shorts and Gaiters combo, had the gaiters at least.........I'm half way there :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby PeteR » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Great report as usual Chris. And quality pictures too. Well done for getting amongst the munros again. I did these 6 a couple of years ago with mixed weather, but a good walk all the same. Managed to turn it into 7 owing to a wrong turn and ended up back at cairn of claise instead of heading to carn an tuirc :lol: Love the autumn colours in your pictures. I call that compensation for the shorter days :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Del246 wrote:Great pics....again.

Thanks Del, you and I must have posted at the same time there, you've ended up above my last post :shock:

by PeteR on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:41 pm
Great report as usual Chris. And quality pictures too. Well done for getting amongst the munros again. I did these 6 a couple of years ago with mixed weather, but a good walk all the same. Managed to turn it into 7 owing to a wrong turn and ended up back at cairn of claise instead of heading to carn an tuirc Love the autumn colours in your pictures. I call that compensation for the shorter days

Thanks Pete, you did 7 :shock: I'd have been needing mountain rescue after 6 or maybe even 5 :lol: I love the autumn colours too, I think these hills look their best like this. I wish I lived closer to more Munros but I don't have time to be a bagger anyway, I'll be leaving for Canada in December (Calgary) .....1 hour from the Rockies :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Del246 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:03 pm

Your pictures are always spot on, what camera do you have ? Good to see you out on the hills again. I'm kicking my heels as I haven't been able to get out much recently as I have a young family.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Great report Chris. Over the years I've walked hills without taking a camera....stil not sure why it didn't occur to me to take one :? Did the 6 'many' years ago (after a very dry period...almost no bog!), hence I appreciate reports with good pics of hills that I've done - thanks.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby spiderman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:17 pm

The photos are fabulous, I love the Autumn colours you have captured.
spiderman
Rambler

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:18 pm

Del246 wrote:Your pictures are always spot on, what camera do you have ? Good to see you out on the hills again. I'm kicking my heels as I haven't been able to get out much recently as I have a young family.

Cheers Del, I use a canon 5d - its a thing of beauty....but you still have to know how to use it :wink: hope you can get out there soon :D
by Scotjamie on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 pm
Great report Chris. Over the years I've walked hills without taking a camera....stil not sure why it didn't occur to me to take one Did the 6 'many' years ago (after a very dry period...almost no bog!), hence I appreciate reports with good pics of hills that I've done - thanks.

Thanks Scotjamie, I walked a million miles before I started taking a camera, it was only following an accident (that stopped me going much above a couple of miles a week) that I realised I had no photos of all I had seen, now I'm finally recovered(ish)I don't go far without it :D
by spiderman on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:17 pm
The photos are fabulous, I love the Autumn colours you have captured.

Thanks spiderman, I love this time of year in the hills, wish it lasted longer :(
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ndhudson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:45 am

Loving these pics, Chris! Autumn is my favorite time of year in your neck of the woods...though the sound of those bogs sure don't sound like fun. :shock: Good job getting back on to the munros! :D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland