walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 02/08/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1330m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following a fantastic week on the Isle of Mull with it's highest three summits visited it was time to bag the daddy of them all. After being able to see the top of The Ben virtually cloud free every day across the sound of Mull, it was with a feeling of inevitability that the weather finally changed once we drove over to Glen Coe for the second week of our holiday. After a couple of indifferent days weather wise spent exploring the woodlands around the village (and Clachaig Inn!) the forecast was set fair so it was off to Fort William for an early start. After a wrong turning in the town we ended up parking at Achintee farm. This was fine so far as we got parked for free and saved our legs a short accent but the lack of a public convenience was to become a bit of an issue as the day progressed. :oops:
It was obvious from the mist along Loch Linnhe that some form of a cloud inversion was on the cards and we weren't to be disappointed as we set off in clag but soon started to climb out of it.
IMG_7462.JPG
Sun breaking through in Glen Nevis

IMG_7468.JPG
Cloud inversion

IMG_7466.JPG
Mamores with a cloud inversion

As promised in the forecast there was not a breath of wind lower down. This meant two things, firstly it was very hot work and secondly the horror that is the Scottish midge was out in considerable force. Now I've been to Skye, Mull and Harris/Lewis several times and never found the midges that much of an issue. But the midge of Glen Nevis are complete and utter little @???!!!'s. :evil:
IMG_7471.JPG
Onwards and upwards

Hardly needs to be said that this walk is the trudge to end all trudges. The half way lochan makes a welcome site and also coincides with a lessening of the gradient for a while.
IMG_7473.JPG
Half way lochan

Once you get up onto the zig-zags the views really start to open up and it becomes apparent just how huge Ben Nevis is, not just in height but in bulk.
IMG_7480.JPG
On the zig-zags

IMG_7488.JPG
Long way down to the lochan now

As we got higher it became obvious that we would'nt be getting summit views :(
IMG_7490.JPG
And into the cloud we go

It may have been cloudy but there was still enough visibility to see evidence the precipitous north face.
IMG_7494.JPG
Snow filled gully

Finally with great relief the top of Britain was reached....
IMG_7496.JPG
Me looking like a village idiot

IMG_7501.JPG
Highest dog in Britain!

IMG_7504.JPG
Crowded Ben Nevis summit

And so a long trudge back to the car was all that remained (not to mention a refreshing drink and an Austin Powers style toilet break at the Ben Nevis Inn!). I'll not say I didn't enjoy bagging Britain's highest summit but it did make me think just how different it was from climbing Ben Talaidh a few days earlier without seeing another soul. I know which I prefer that's for sure.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Ben Nevis

Postby skuk007 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:43 pm

Nice report John, a good to see you got an 'inversion'.

I know it's a trudge but if your into hill-walking then it just has to be done at some point. :)
If you get the chance to do it again then there's plenty of other routes to the top. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 am

skuk007 wrote:Nice report John, a good to see you got an 'inversion'.

I know it's a trudge but if your into hill-walking then it just has to be done at some point. :)
If you get the chance to do it again then there's plenty of other routes to the top. :)

True but being a coward I'm not sure the Carn mor Dearg Arete is for me. :?
And your right it had to be done. At least the weather was fairly good unlike Scafell Pike which was done in rain from valley floor to mountain top.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:19 am

Looks like Picadilly circus up there. Liking the family summit photo :D Nice report :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland