walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bitten by the bug - Lochnagar

Bitten by the bug - Lochnagar

Postby AndyGerrard » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:11 pm

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 13/10/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 19 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello again everyone! I was really looking forward to getting out again after Mayar and Dreish on Tuesday and was happy to find the weather looked good again for today (Thursday) at Lochnagar. On arrival to the Glen Muick car park I was suprised to find that I was the only one there! My original plan was to tackle all five Munros on the White Mounth route on the same trip and after setting off at around 8.30am in the mist I was still feeling quite optimistic. The ascent was pretty uneventful apart from the cold the low cloud and the occasional sound of rutting Deer.

I could only just see up to Meikle Pap and was disheartened to find not only was there such a long way to go but there was going to be no chance of a clear summit :(
IMG_0615.JPG
Meikle Pap through the Cloud

I felt a bit disorientated with the poor visibility the cloud brought, losing the track didn't seem to help! It felt like I had been ascending and contouring round past the cliffs on the ascent forever until I finally found a foot print on track that led me to Cac Carn Mor.
IMG_0616.jpg
Cliffs on the ascent

By this point I had decided against completing the five Munro circuit and stopped for something to eat and to plan a new route down. The shorter route followed Glas Allt down to Loch Muick.
I reached the summit at around 11.30, and with no views to enjoy, didn't stay for long.
IMG_0633.PNG
At the summit

IMG_0635.PNG
Viewpoint

On my way back down I bumped into two other climbers, I wasn't alone! Eric and Max, as I soon found out were descending on the same route, I was happy to be welcomed along with them and for the rest of the descent I had some company.
We stopped at the magnificent Glas Allt waterfall on the way down for a second lunch :) and with warmth back in my face and hands we descended down to Loch Muick.
IMG_0626.jpg
Glas Allt Waterfall

IMG_0624.jpg
Looking down to Glen Muick

IMG_0627.JPG
Descending

We arrived back at the Car park at about 3pm, a bit later than I expected, but after the unexpected turn the day had taken I was relieved to be back. Promised I would mention my new found friends in my report and hoping to get out again with them soon!

I've truly been bitten by the bug!
AndyGerrard

Munros:39   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Bitten by the bug - Lochnagar

Postby ChrisW » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:59 pm

Good effort Andy, Lochnagar is a beast on its own. I've been threatening to do the 5 for a while now and still haven't :lol: I did Lochnagar and loved it, Broad Cairn too, so now I'm stuck with the 3 in the middle :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Bod » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:56 am

Well done Andy, that's a great walk and you'll do it again one day and have time to climb Meikle Pap in clear weather and see the magnificent Corrie from there. Well worth it! :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby davetherave » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:54 am

Bet you welcomed the company as you descended the mountain.

Just a shame you never got the views. You sound like you are local to the area,if so there should be no problem if you decide on climbing the route again.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby rogers » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Well done Andy, shame about the weather but I'm sure you will be back up there at the first opportunity. It is a group of Munros that I have been wanting to get done as well, so hopefully if we get anything that resembles a decent summer next year I will be heading up there for an overnighter with my bivvy bag, maybe even sooner if we get good spring weather.
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby porty » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:39 pm

Nice report Andy, shame about your weather. I did the five Munro's around Loch Muick earlier this year (like yourself after previous outings to Mount Keen, Mayar and Driesh) and was also 'bitten by the bug' that you seem to have caught. Good luck on your Kilimanjaro adventure.
porty
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland