walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Beinn a'Ghlo Three

The Beinn a'Ghlo Three

Postby SMRussell » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:19 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 07/10/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1239m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

These were our 32nd to 34th Munros. We started and ended the day with sunshine but experienced everything else in-between.

Carn Liath was short but steep and certainly got the heart pumping. Lovely views to the other two Munros Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain and Carn nan Gabhar that we were to bag as the day continued
DSC06125.jpg
Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain and Carn nan Gabhar
We saw an ominous sheet of mist arrive from the west and engulf the two summits and that was us in waterproofs for the next few hours.

The winds were freezing and the hike between the grey hill and Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain left us exposed to 50mph winds with 80mph gusts, which served as a reminder to sort out some thermals and windproof gloves!

As we ascended Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain we were met with rain and mist. The gales continued and I had to keep my shades on to stop my eyes from streaming. Once we reached the summit we saw our first snow of the season.

As it was October the deer were rutting and once we had descended into the valley between Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain and Carn nan Gabhar we could hear the stags calling out.
DSC06135.jpg
View back to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain as we listened to the stags
But we wouldn't see them until we were on the return route.

As we approached the summit of Carn nan Gabhar the rain turned to snow and the mist became thick leaving us with very little visibility.
15.jpg
All we could see up Carn nan Gabhar
With no views available we didn't hang about and headed straight back down.

The route back was long and tiring - but the sun was out so the waterproofs were off 8) We were also treated to a great view (from a distance!!) of the deer rut which made up for the lack of views on the final summit
DSC06154.jpg
Joy of a zoom lens
Last edited by SMRussell on Wed May 09, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: The Beinn a'Ghlo Three

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:59 pm

Well done for carrying on in such grim conditions :thumbup:

Love photo number 3. Totally sums up most of my hillwalking days :lol:

So you managed to capture the elusive deer. I often hear them but alas never get a treat like you :(
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:00 pm

Good effort SMR, shame about the wet n wild weather but at least it cleared up on the way out, a couple of nice shots at the start and the deer at the end mean you have a few captured moments at least. You are right about the temperatures....time to start dusting off the cold weather gear I think :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rogers » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Nice one, this has been on my to-do list for ages, if there is a chance of good weather near the end of the month I will try and give it a go.
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby SMRussell » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:55 am

Polly - yes, was great to get a proper deer sighting in. Usually they're just a speck off in the distance or too quick for us to get a decent snap.

Chris - quite right. Since this walk water and windproof gloves have been purchased and we're off to Millets later today to grab some thermals.

Rogers - get on it! Really nice walk. The parking is a little limited so it pays to get there early. Fingers crossed we see some good weather soon :)
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland