walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an Dothaidh, Beinn Dorain

Beinn an Dothaidh, Beinn Dorain

Postby gman » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:12 pm

Route description: Beinn Dòrain & Beinn an Dòthaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 12/10/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had poor visibility on these 2, forecast was light rain in the morning then cloud in afternoon. Ben Dorain was ok, kept losing path on Beinn an Dothaidh though so needed compass to navigate.

Started from Bridge of Orchy car park 9:30.
ben dorain_12Oct2011_0001.jpg

Then up side road to train station, after the underpass there's an uphill path.
ben dorain_12Oct2011_0003.jpg

The sign had a map and stalking info - keep to marked paths & ridges till 20 October.
ben dorain_12Oct2011_0004.jpg

The path continues towards the bealach between the two hills. It has muddy sections but other paths detour on the right to avoid these, rejoining the main path later.
ben dorain_12Oct2011_0006.jpg

ben dorain_12Oct2011_0009.jpg

Later the path becomes steeper with loose rock.
ben dorain_12Oct2011_0011.jpg

View back down:
ben dorain_12Oct2011_0013.jpg

There's a cairn at the Bealach and paths to each hill.
ben dorain_12Oct2011_0017.jpg

I went for Dorain first, rain was coming down so camera stayed in its case. This one was ok in poor visibility, there are 2 paths - one goes over the main ridge and the other branches off to the right. Thought I was on the main path but I was actually on the other, this wasn't a bad thing as I was sheltered from the wind. Path finally spirals up to the summit cairn, I thought this was only the first cairn but the path obviously went no further. Returned on the main path, bit windier but finally saw both cairns.

Met a couple of guys & dog who were heading out to summit, they weren't sure about Beinn an Dothaidh because of weather. That gave me second thoughts, but Dorain had been ok with clear paths, and I could see a path heading up Beinn an Dothaidh so I thought I'd just follow it up to the summit.

This one was trickier in the mist. The path goes up so far, then I lost it and found my way onto a stalker path - when it became clear this was going in the wrong direction I got the compass & map out and just headed up the grassy hill. Eventually this flattened out & was a bit eerie in the mist but continued on & finally found a cairn.
ben dorain_12Oct2011_0026.jpg

Figured out from the map this couldn't be the true summit so headed south east, eventually went uphill and got to the cairn.
ben dorain_12Oct2011_0027.jpg

It was a bit weird around the top, thought I could see shapes that might have been other walkers wandering in the mist & heard someone whistling for their dog. Took compass bearing & returned from cairn. My inbuilt sense of direction told me that the compass was slightly out, but I was wrong as usual - was a bit too far East when I came out of the mist & saw the bealach.
ben dorain_12Oct2011_0030.jpg

Found my way back to the path, it was a bit boggy on the way back down. Met a couple at the bealach, they'd also been wandering in the mist on Dorain. Return from bealach can be tricky as it's a bit steep on loose rocks and scree. View back up:
ben dorain_12Oct2011_0037.jpg
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn an Dothaidh, Beinn Dorain

Postby skuk007 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:01 pm

Nice report gman.
The colours of these two hills have really changed since I went up earlier in the year, they're great.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland