walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lawers + 4

Ben Lawers + 4

Postby SMRussell » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:30 am

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 27/08/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1553m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We started the day with the somewhat unrealistic goal of bagging all 7 Munros from Meall Greigh to Meall a'Choire Leith. However, fatigue and a turn in the weather meant we had to call it a day at Beinn Ghlas.

Parked up at the Ben Lawers Hotel with a view to our first Munro of the day, Meall Greigh. We had a great view of Loch Tay as we ascended Meall Greigh over my most hated terrain: steep boggy grassland.
1.jpg
Views on the first ascent

2.jpg
That grassy terrain

This terrain made our first Munro a bit of a slog. The cloud moved over Meall Garbh, An Stuc and Ben Lawers as we left Meall Greigh but thankfully the sun stayed with us for some time.
3.jpg
Meall Greigh - bagged

4.jpg
Mist in the hills

Our walk to Meall Garbh was a mix of bog and steep ascent but supplied some great views.
5 meal Garbh.jpg
Meall Garbh - bagged

6.jpg
view to An Stuc

The BEST part of the day however was the scramble up An Stuc. This was great fun - although my walking partner wasn't as enthusiastic. It is a steep scramble and was quite wet - care is certainly required for this one.
7.jpg
A view from An Stuc

We descended An Stuc on a high and headed on towards Ben Lawers. Within 10 minutes the heavens opened and the waterproofs were on. The downpour did let up before we got to the summit and the views were great. This summit was very busy and we could see loads of walkers heading up the tourist route so we didn't stay long.
8 view from Ben Lawers.jpg

9 view from Ben Lawers.jpg

10 view from Ben Lawers.jpg

11 Ben Lawers.jpg

12 weather closing in.jpg

The waterproofs were off as we seemed to have the sunshine back - not for long! The winds picked up and we soon found ourselves being battered by hail - which was pretty painful as it was hitting us at about 45mph! By the time we got to Beinn Ghlas it was just rain and mist.
12-1 Final summit of the day and a dram.jpg

The fatigue had really hit by now so we headed down the tourist route and walked along the road back to the hotel - that walk along the road felt longer than the whole rest of the day! We really should have headed back down Ben Lawers and passed Lochan nan Cat back towards the start of the walk. Oh well - you live you learn.

We returned to the hotel for dinner before heading home. I should add that the staff were really nice and chatted enthusiastically about the local hills - always a boost!
Last edited by SMRussell on Wed May 09, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: The Ben Lawers Ridge

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:04 pm

A real shame the weather and fatigue combined to end the walk early but better that than an accident caused by the same two conditions. Some beautiful photos before the weather closed in though, good effort :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Good effort. If you had the luxury of a 2nd car at the cairn where you would finish after coming off Meall a' Choire Leith you could probably have done all seven in the time it would have taken you to walk back along the road.There's nothing worse than a road walk at the end off a long day on the hills
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby SMRussell » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:07 pm

ChrisW wrote:A real shame the weather and fatigue combined to end the walk early but better that than an accident caused by the same two conditions. Some beautiful photos before the weather closed in though, good effort :D

Bagged the Glas Maol Munros with Tolmount & Tom Buidhe only a few days before and I spent 2 hrs in netball training the night before heading up the ridge - should have given myself a bit more of a rest!

Thanks for the photo comments :D ! Some of them are mine and others are the work of my other half.

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good effort. If you had the luxury of a 2nd car at the cairn where you would finish after coming off Meall a' Choire Leith you could probably have done all seven in the time it would have taken you to walk back along the road.There's nothing worse than a road walk at the end off a long day on the hills

True! We've thought about involving two cars for other walks also. Unfortunately we've only the one (and I've still to pass a test!!). Can always getting some friends involved to solve that issue. Mind you the weather looked like it wouldn't have made the last two all that enjoyable :?
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland