walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lamington Hill

Lamington Hill

Postby ngm1scot » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:34 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Lamington Hill

Date walked: 17/10/2011

Time taken: 1.75 hours

Distance: 6.25 km

Ascent: 282m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started at the car park by Lamington Church on the A702 and took a right back along to the minor road to Baitlaws.
PICT1645.JPG
An easy start to an easy walk
This is an easy tarmacced road and makes for a pleasant start to the walk

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The gate on the left just before the Baitlaws House is signposted for Walkers and is a wee bit muddy as it goes under the trees but then becomes a firmer path. At the foot of the hill take go through the gate and down to the burn. Again fairly muddy and slippery - today especially as the leaves had fallen on top of mud. Its a very cute bridge over the burn.
PICT1653.JPG
What a cute alternative to getting wet feet

After this its fairly easy going across a grassy landrover track which runs alongside the Bottom Burn.
PICT1657.JPG
Easy going - but still no sign of the hill...
Soon the track starts to rise slightly and gets a bit muddy and waterlogged, and then we got a good view of our target. If you keep going past the trees which emerge on the right you end up at Cowgill Loch but today I had to be back in Glasgow by 5pm so it was
PICT1659.JPG
Lamington Hill
straight up the hill. There is a clear track off to the left but as it dips down to the burn, it is extremely wet although you can bypass most of it by climbing a wee bit off the track. After that it's a straightforward climb up to the western ridge of the hill.
PICT1665.JPG
up we go!
Once at the top of the path, take a right and head on straight up (literally!) to the top.
PICT1670.JPG
The final pull up to the top.
The earthworks noted on the map are virtually invisible close up - well they are to the uninformed walker.
PICT1682.JPG
The ultimate proof.
. Although Lamington is not very high, the views are good with Tinto dominating. I had no map with me today so just enjoy the pictures without worrying too much what the hills are.
PICT1687.JPG
PICT1684.JPG
PICT1672.JPG
PICT1688.JPG
All I can say is I'll be back to try some more of these delightful beasties.
The route back is clear and easy although I think I took a marginally more awkward way. When i got to the point where I joined the ridge I simply followed the main path Westwards.
PICT1668.JPG
The return path heading West across and down the ridge
After a wee bit the wall (on the right) does a kind of bend but has a gate and a stile. I think it's probably a more interesting route if you follow this instead but I simply kept on the ridge path which contoured round the top of the slope. Gradually it became more of a sheep path than a track but was still easily do-able. When I saw the gate before the Ford down below, I simply crossed down the hillside through the sheep and back on to the original path.
PICT1699.JPG
Sheep territory
ngm1scot
Munro compleatist

Munros:54   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Lamington Hill

Postby orion » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:38 pm

It`s a nice wee hill and very handy for a half day out from Glasgow.
Black Mount,just up the road at Dolphinton,and nearby Mendick Hill are both worth a visit on a clear day.
This was Black Mount last December...
Alex.
Attachments
tinto.jpg
Tinto from Black Mount.
orion

Postby ngm1scot » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:16 pm

That looks like fun. I'm not sure how I will handle snow as this is my first year doing the hillwalking. At least in the "borders" you're not very likely to fall into a crevasse on these "nice wee hills". Thanks for the suggestion, Alex
ngm1scot
Munro compleatist

Munros:54   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby vicky1147 » Sat May 01, 2021 12:09 pm

Great hill. If you want a more challenging walk (found accidentally :lol: ) then keep walking along the path to the second wooded area and start walking up along side it using quad bike track. It's steep going so it's a good workout. You'll go around the shoulder of the hill til you reach a fence at the back, follow that up and you reach the top of the hill from the opposite direction. Then you can take the gradually sloping ridge back down the front. :D
Attachments
IMG_20210501_120229.jpg
vicky1147

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland