walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Tarmachan

Meall Tarmachan

Postby bikeman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My buddy and I arrived at the car park above the now demolished Ben Lawer visitor centre 9.30am intending to walk Meall nan Tarmachan, following the Walk Highland route for the Tarmachan ridge, but returning from the summit the same way. As usual the weather was not doing what it was suposed to on MWIS forecast, it was misty [to misty for picts.],never the less we decided to carry on so booted and suited we left at 10am.the route was easy to follow and as was decribed on WH walks. We reached the summit in 2hrs.where it was windy and cold so we decided to take photos of us at the summit then make our way back down a bit find some kind of shelter have somthing to eat before continuing back down the way we had come. We had gone about 200yards and had started to decend the steep bit between the craggs when things changed. My buddy slipped on a very slippery rock fell on his backside [simples] but on his way down his elbow hit a big rock and he broke his elbow.I called mountain rescue gave our details GPS etc.,As he was in great pain and a bit shocked, I got him into a survival bag and kept him topped up with cups of tea. Mountain rescue called back and let us know that they were sending a helicopter, visibility was almost zero, I was standing on the the The side of the mountain flashing a torch trying to guide them in. I could hear them just in front of me but it was too foggy for me to see them and for them to see me.There was no place for them to land so they pulled back and descended out of the mist and landed. The medics then climbed up to us.They dosed my buddy up with pain killers and put a splint on his arm.he tried to walk down to the helicopter but the pain was too great. The mist had started to clear a bit so 2 of the rescue crew and I descended to the helicopter, leaving the para medic with him. when we were on board they then moved up to where he was and winched him up into the helicopter. They then flew me down Ben Lawers car park where the the police were waiting to take me back to where our car was parked. They then flew him to the Southern General in Glasgow where he was given excellent service, In his words it could not have been better for which he sends his greatfull thanks.He will be in plaster for about 12 weeks. We cannot thank the Mountain Rescue Service, Police ,cordinators and everyone involved in helping us enough saying thanks is not nearly enough.Mountain Service you were Immense.Bikeman
bikeman
Mountaineer

Re: Meall Tarmachan

Postby davetherave » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:39 pm

bikeman,

Wish your buddy all the best, and for a speedy recovery. :(

bikeman wrote:We cannot thank the Mountain Rescue Service, Police ,cordinators and everyone involved in helping us enough saying thanks is not nearly enough.Mountain Service you were Immense.Bikeman

What can i say. They really are a team not to be messed with. :clap: :clap:
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Gavin99 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Glad everything turned out ok, it's great to know the rescue teams are there to help if things do go badly wrong. How pleased were you to have a £5 survival bag in the bottom of your rucksack !
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby bikeman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Gavin99 wrote:Glad everything turned out ok, it's great to know the rescue teams are there to help if things do go badly wrong. How pleased were you to have a £5 survival bag in the bottom of your rucksack !

always told the wife I would never need it but I would take it just in case. I will keep taking it and the other we things I carry just in case
bikeman
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland