walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Biking at Beinn Bhuidhe

Biking at Beinn Bhuidhe

Postby Rossco » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 05/09/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1033m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This walk seems like ages ago now, not sure how much I'll actually remember about it! :lol:

Having taken the bike up to Ben Vorlich at Loch Lomond a few days before, I fancied another combined cycling/walking trip and thought what better hill to stage this trip than Beinn Bhuidhe with its long 4-5 mile fairly flat walk in to its base.

By the time I found my way to the head of Loch Fyne, parked in the small car park next to the quarry entrance road, sorted my bike out, got suited and booted it was about half 12. No problem though as this should be a relatively short day compared to what I was used to being just one Munro and cycling well over half the distance.

It started off pretty easy on a flat tarmac road. Easy to cycle/walk and easy to follow. You turn right as soon as you come out the car park and cross a bridge across River Fyne, rather than taking the other road that goes towards a quarry/power station. I remember passing by a huge herd of cows at one point that were just wandering about the path so had to slow right down and carefully pass them as I didn't want to be chased up the hill by those great beasts!

Crossing over the River Fyne at the start by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Smooth cycling ahead by Rossco 7, on Flickr

After about half an hour of cycling along this path at a relaxed pace, crossing one bridge on the way, and passing by some houses, you come to a second bridge at a right turn. Don't turn here though, it's a dead end that takes you to some building for the pipe lines which you can now see above you in the wee hills to the east of you. Instead, leave the tarmac and head onto a dirt track for another 5 minutes until you come to the big gate asking cyclists to dismount. It turns out the path after this is still very cyclable all the way to the base of Beinn Bhuidhe but rules are rules!

Straight ahead off road by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Black Knight chained up! by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Looking back down Glen Fyne by Rossco 7, on Flickr

The sun was poking in and out the sky at this point so I mucked about for a while taking photos and grabbed some refreshments before heading on up the track. Passed someone at the gate who seemed a bit disgruntled at me saying hello. I'll never understand why people are like that? :? Anyway, bike chained up to the kindly provided big bike rack I was off again up through into the trees. Taking my time and enjoying having my actual camera around my neck instead of my phone camera when cycling I spotted a cool looking bridge through the trees down to the right, not sure who it would be used by down there though. And also seen some tasty looking mushrooms. Maybe save them for the trip back! :lol:

Cool bridge across River Fyne by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Mmmm mushrooms! by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Not being a very popular walk, due to the distance out the way compared to others in the area and the long walk in, I wasn't sure what to expect of Beinn Bhuidhe and the surrounding area but upon exiting from the trees you get a great view of Glen Fyne all around you and Ceann Garbh ahead. With the sun shining this place looked magic with the River Fyne running down on your right and all the bright colours around you of the green grass and purple heather. But all of a sudden a quick downpour of rain appeared out of nowhere. I didn't want to get all the waterproofs and jacket out so took shelter in some trees next to a small burn until it passed.

Walking out the trees by Rossco 7, on Flickr

The base of Beinn Bhuidhe (948m) by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Taking shelter in the trees by Rossco 7, on Flickr

After about another 20 minutes or so of walking after dumping the bike at the gate, you reach the old house at Inverchorachan. Had a wee peek inside through one of the windows and it seemed to have loads of logs stored in there. Wonder who put them there and what for!? Along with some rubbish and litter. Didn't look round the back to see if there was an open door as maybe people use this as a bothy. Just round the corner is a gate, and as soon as you go through it take the next gate on your left as per the WalkHighlands route which then fires straight up the hill quite steeply. You've had long enough to warm up though by now so no excuses for puffing and panting!! I started to take some layers off now because of this and the sun was splitting the sky now making it pretty toasty. You pretty much follow the Allt na Faing for 20 minutes or so, so you can always splash your face with some cool water here.

House at Inverchorachan by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Fast flowing Allt na Faing by Rossco 7, on Flickr

A good pool to cool doon by Rossco 7, on Flickr

After so long, the view of a waterfall straight ahead opens up. You then pass by this on the left to reach a much rockier area with many undulating hills all around. It started raining at this time and some cloud began to form up ahead so I couldn't see much of the pretty steep section ahead. There's a path the whole way though so it's pretty easy really. Then suddenly, you pop your head over the top and get a great view north west towards Loch Awe. There's a cairn here to mark the turn for the side route down the hill but not to worry about that yet, still the final ascent to contend with!

Head for the waterfall by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Onwards and upwards by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Rainbow over Glen Fyne by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Getting claggy by Rossco 7, on Flickr

In awe of Loch Awe by Rossco 7, on Flickr

It was only another 15-20 minutes maybe to the top from here and it was all pretty straightforward. Nothing too steep or rocky. Unfortunately I didn't really get a good view of where I was going as the cloud had came right in on me and then I bumped into a guy who I think I gave quite a fright to as he was chatting away to himself then all of a sudden looked up and spotted me only about 10ft infront of him with a look on his face like this: :shock:

I hung about at the top for a while, having my pieces and marvelling at the beautiful view all around me of... clouds. :( Another summit, another anti climax with no decent views. Are there any Munros in Spain maybe!!? :lol:

Close to the edge by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Summit of Beinn Bhuidhe (948m) by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Made it! Beinn Bhuidhe (948m) by Rossco 7, on Flickr

The way back down was supposed to be not as steep as the ascent but it turned out pretty messy in my opinion. I didn't like it at all. Back to the cairn I mentioned earlier and around the side. The path disappeared quickly though and I was left to fend for myself down the steep grassy slopes. I hate going up and down the same route but I think I would have preferred to have done that here as it turned into another one of those painful descents where I constantly curse at myself for having such a stupid hobby of walking up and down hills just to add another name to a numbered list! It was still a fairly nice day though so I just tried to enjoy the scenery, looking forward to getting back on the bike for the painless cycle back.

I also found some sheep tracks through some high grass that was up well past my waist which was quite cool to see. Heading down though, just aiming for the same house you passed at the start, jumping over fences and burns when you reach them. It was easy enough navigation wise but might have been a bit more difficult if I couldn't see where I was heading. Only difficulty was catching my shorts on some wire when crossing a fence!

Stalking some sheep by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Jump the fence, but watch yer breeks by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Glen Fyne looking fine! by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Mossy fence post by Rossco 7, on Flickr

I finally got off the hill and just around the corner from where I started. Crossed a wee bridge and through the gate again and I was on my way back. Glad to be back on flat land, I was able to up the pace again and enjoy the walk back to my bike. After jumping on the bike, about half way back I passed by a couple of fawns. One ran away but the other just stood and watched me from quite close. Pity I had to put my camera away for the cycle or I would have got much better shot of it. And as always, trying to keep some variety to the day, I decided to pass through the quarry on the way back hoping it was too late for any activity to be going on in case I got huckled for trespassing!

Bridge at Inverchorachan by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Looking down Glen Fyne by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Couple of wee fawn by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Shut up shop for the day by Rossco 7, on Flickr

All in all, a great wee Munro. :D The immediate views of Glen Fyne are splendid for the whole walk so I would definitely advise it. Not too difficult or long when cycling the path in. Not sure how long a day it would be if walking the whole lot though.

Beinn-Bhuidhe.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Beinn Bhuidhe Profile.png

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1277438
Last edited by Rossco on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Biking at Beinn Bhuidhe

Postby ndhudson » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:28 pm

Beautiful pics, Rossco! Glad I noticed this report before getting lost within the fold!!! :D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:48 pm

Some great pics there Rossco. I keep putting this one off because of the big walk-in, I may just dust the bike down and cycle it after reading that. Cheers!
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:45 pm

It took me 8hrs,car to car walking "rossco"
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland