walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar with no rain,no bogs and no mates

Lochnagar with no rain,no bogs and no mates

Postby pigeon » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 16/10/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 1260m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off early today on my lonesome,Ian-injured,Ryan-too drunk,Jim-away with wife and Charlie still not ready for his comeback,so Johnny no mates was parked up and walking for just before 8.
001 - Copy.JPG
early doors
004.JPG
clear sky for a change
After getting soaked and being up to our knees in bogs on the last couple of trips i was hoping the forecast was going to be right today and early signs were good.
008.JPG
meikle pap and the moon
Made good progress up to where the path splits towards meikle pap where i spoke briefly to a guy with his dog,we would meet up later ,and onwards to where the first views of lochnagars crags are first seen
009.JPG
crags over lochnagar
011.JPG
lochnagar
012.JPG
016.JPG
This is an impressive spot with great views to the cairngorms and noisy stags all around giving it plenty!But it was getting chilly in the wind so carried on up towards lochnagar
020.JPG
Got to the summit in just over 2 hours and huddled in behind the rocks for some of heinz's finest
021.JPG
lochnagar trig
024.JPG
heinz's finest beef broth
It was here that Jim and his dog Rocky caught up with me and after our pitstop we walked the rest of the way together,it was going to be a long day so i wasglad of the company and soon we were on our way over to carn a choire bhoidheach
025 - Copy.JPG
2nd munro of the day
Didn't hang about to long and made our way over to carn an t sagairt mor.Two cairns up here no sure which is highest but went to the furthest one for a picture
028.JPG
3rd munro of the day
No hanging about and on to cairn bannoch
029.JPG
jim and rocky on cairn bannoch
031.JPG
can't believe it ,still clear skies
Had a bite to eat here in the shelter of some rocks then made our way to our last target,broad cairn
034.JPG
broad cairn looking over loch muick
Views here down to the loch were great,so got some pics and began the long walk down
036.JPG
040.JPG
rocky
043.JPG
a day at the beach
044.JPG
045.JPG
047.JPG
looking back to broad cairn
Took the low path down round the loch and passed loads of people walking round the loch,eventually back at the car park after 7 and a half hours, a great long walk,Jim was pleased to get 5 munro's in one go as i think he was only planning on doing the 1 :lol: ,well done Jim and Rocky it was good walking with ye hope you get up Torridon next week if you do let me know how you get on,cheers mate :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Lochnagar with no rain,no bogs and no mates

Postby gary » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:35 pm

Nice report,some great pics aswell,was up there a few weeks ago and found it hard going but the views are worth it,looks as if you got a nice day for it to, I wandered round on my own with my dogs but it was really busy that day so was never really alone
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:270   Corbetts:9

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Nice one Pigeon!!
:D
You make this walk sound very straightforward :D

Any potential problems I should look out for when I head up that way ??

Oh yeah cracking photos too :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby MarilynMunro » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:29 am

Echo Polly's remarks, you make it sound like a walk round Linlithgow loch, quite a a day, some wonderful shots as well and you struck it lucky with the weather.
Cheers
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby innes1957 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Fit like Dave,

Took your advice and joined up bud!!

Thanks for a cracker of a day and for getting me the extra 4 Munros, which was unexpected. Your photos were top notch and the weather was resonably good to us on the day.

Rocky collapsed in a heap as soon as we got in the front door and there was no need for his evening walk!!

We still hope to get over to Torridon (Bein Allagin) next weekend weather permitting and before the clocks change?

Thanks again for a great day and perhaps Rocky and i will bump into you again on our travels.

All the best!! :D

Jim
innes1957
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:1

Postby monty » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Excellent walk Pigeon with some cracking photos. Good effort. :D
monty

Postby pigeon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:28 pm

gary wrote:Nice report,some great pics aswell,was up there a few weeks ago and found it hard going but the views are worth it,looks as if you got a nice day for it to, I wandered round on my own with my dogs but it was really busy that day so was never really alone
Cheers Gary ,had a look at your report ,looks like you had similar conditions to me it was quite windy at times,oh and there's nothing wrong with having a wee blether to yorself :lol:
pollyh33 wrote:Nice one Pigeon!!
:D
You make this walk sound very straightforward :D

Any potential problems I should look out for when I head up that way ??

Oh yeah cracking photos too :D
Aye Polly try and no get lost like me in the massive city of Ballater :D There is clear paths for much of the way ,maybe in the low cloud it could be a bit tricky but on a good day no probs,give yourself plenty time though ,if your doing it soon go before the clocks go back,get a good day and it,s a cracker :thumbup:
MarilynMunro wrote:Echo Polly's remarks, you make it sound like a walk round Linlithgow loch, quite a a day, some wonderful shots as well and you struck it lucky with the weather.
Cheers
Cheers Marilyn ,it adds up to a few times round the loch likes :lol:
innes1957 wrote:Fit like Dave,

Took your advice and joined up bud!!

Thanks for a cracker of a day and for getting me the extra 4 Munros, which was unexpected. Your photos were top notch and the weather was resonably good to us on the day.

Rocky collapsed in a heap as soon as we got in the front door and there was no need for his evening walk!!

We still hope to get over to Torridon (Bein Allagin) next weekend weather permitting and before the clocks change?

Thanks again for a great day and perhaps Rocky and i will bump into you again on our travels.

All the best!! :D

Jim
Cheers Jim ,was one of the best days so far,let me ken how it goes next week,you can send a private message through the site,can see your munro count rocketing in the next few months,good luck for next weekend :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby pigeon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:30 pm

monty wrote:Excellent walk Pigeon with some cracking photos. Good effort. :D
Thanks Monty it was well worth the long drive,did you no get out yourself at the weekend?
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi Pigeon,
Not been out for a couple of weeks now. Going to Snowdon on Friday so hopefully the weather wont be too bad. Then maybe a munro or two early next week :D
monty

Postby hazewell » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:44 pm

Well done Dave...5 munros...ill maybe even make yer piece tonight for ye xxx
hazewell
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby pigeon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

monty wrote:Hi Pigeon,
Not been out for a couple of weeks now. Going to Snowdon on Friday so hopefully the weather wont be too bad. Then maybe a munro or two early next week :D
Nice,have a good one!
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Ian Bayne » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:18 pm

what a good day I missed allright for saturday but it looks like the weather has turned
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland