walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blencathra via Sharp Edge.

Blencathra via Sharp Edge.

Postby PauloUK77 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blencathra, Mungrisdale Common

Hewitts included on this walk: Blencathra

Date walked: 05/06/2010

Time taken: 6

Distance: 11 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is a walk i'd been looking forward to for some time, I have heard lots of good reports from accents of Blencathra.I started out from a small carpark on the A66 at Scales.From there Sharp Edge was my objective,i'd been in this area earlier this year and couldn't climb Blencathra due to bad snow.How different the area looked this time.
Upon reaching Scales Tarn I realised how intimidating Blencathra can look the views looking up were stunning.
Sharp Edge was fantastic fun with a few scary bits with great views down to Scales Tarn and over to Bannerdale Crags and Souther Fell,I didn't use the bypass path once sticking to the pinnacle of the ridge.
What followed next I found to be the most scary part of this accent,where the ridge meets the shoulder of Blencathra it heads up at an alarming gradient.I certainly didn't let go apart from when I felt safe enough to take a snap.
Once that was over I took a bearing for Mungrisdale Common.This involved a sizable descent to reach and was a bit of an anti-climax.
I then heading back up to where i'd descended from to bag Blencathra,then the fun started all over again.
I didn't realise Hallsfell ridge involved a bit of scrambling too,again I stuck to the very top all the way down.The views down this ridge are nothing short of amazing.
I would recommend Blencathra to anyone looking for for an exhilarating day out.

2010_0604new0138.JPG

2010_0604new0142.JPG

2010_0604new0147.JPG

2010_0604new0149.JPG

2010_0604new0151.JPG

2010_0604new0153.JPG

2010_0604new0154.JPG
Heading up the shoulder of Blencathra from Sharp Edge.

2010_0604new0155.JPG

2010_0604new0157.JPG
Looking down to Scales Tarn.

2010_0604new0163.JPG
Sharp Edge from the other side.(Towards Mungrisdale Common)

2010_0604new0162.JPG
Mungrisdale Common

2010_0604new0166.JPG
Blencathra from Mungrisdale summit.

2010_0604new0167.JPG
Blencathra summit.

2010_0604new0174.JPG
Heading down Hallsfell Ridge.

2010_0604new0176.JPG
Hallsfell Ridge.

2010_0604new0181.JPG
Looking back towards Blencathra from the foot of Hallsfell Ridge.
Attachments
2010_0604new0148.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by PauloUK77 on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Re: Blencathra via Sharp Edge.

Postby johnovey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:11 pm

Someat great photos there Paulo.
I've read a few reports on the Sharp edge route up Blencathra and look forward to visiting soon.
The final climb to Blencathra does look pretty steep :? Is it really that scary or a little bit of a photographic illusion?
Looks like a fabulous walk!!
johnovey
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:1   

Postby PauloUK77 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:42 pm

I found the ridge to be ok some difficult bits but the climb afterwards a little unnerving.It was the thought of slipping at that point I don't think there would be much chance of a recovery.
It just might be that it was my first go at proper scramble,some may have the opinion that it's a piece of cake.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:00 am

Some great pics there - especially like the Hallsfell ones, especially the one where the guy is doing the narrow ledge above the gill - I never managed to make that bit look scary enough in my photos - now I see where I was going wrong - you need someone clinging to it! :lol:

Funny how different we all are though - I won't do Sharp Edge itself as I believe it's too dangerous with it's sloping polished slabs but have been down Foule Crag to the start of the edge and back up again and I found that bit fine... did you ascend it via the groove? I know sometimes people miss that and have a bit of trouble on it - the groove is fine though... I think the bypass path is possibly more dangerous than the actual edge?
mountain coward

Postby PauloUK77 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:31 am

I was lucky someone was on the ledge on Hallsfell as i took the photo,when i got back after the walk I realised it made it easier to visualize making that move.
I found the grove after i'd climbed half way up Foule Crag it did make it easier.Your right about the bypass path people choose that option for an easier time but its anything but easy (if your afraid of heights).
I think you could manage the ridge itself if you have got down Foule crag to it.You want to give it a go someday .
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:45 am

Great report, must be one of the best shorter hillwalks in England 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:53 pm

PauloUK77 wrote:I was lucky someone was on the ledge on Hallsfell as i took the photo,when i got back after the walk I realised it made it easier to visualize making that move.
I found the grove after i'd climbed half way up Foule Crag it did make it easier.Your right about the bypass path people choose that option for an easier time but its anything but easy (if your afraid of heights).
I think you could manage the ridge itself if you have got down Foule crag to it.You want to give it a go someday .

I'm pretty sure I'll never be doing it as I truly believe it is inherently dangerous due to it's slippery, sloping slabs! Richard (my walking buddy/guinea pig :D ) loves that kind of thing and he didn't like it as he said it was just too easy to slip off it! Watching other people crossing it, I fully agree - I've seen people scrabbling about trying to get some kind of hold on some of those slabs and goodness only knows how they didn't come off... And then of course, lots and lots of people do! So no thanks I'm afraid... Hallsfell is quite enough excitement for me anyway :D
mountain coward

Postby skuk007 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:20 am

Oh crickey - visiting the Lakes for a few days in a couple of weeks. Was hoping to do Sharp Edge at some point. Will only do it though if it is going to be dry all day, with no wind.

Great pics making it look quite scary. It's good to see scary pictures though as sometimes you can forget and can think a mountain is easier than it actually is.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:28 am

Defo only do if it's a dry day (and preferably no wind) as Blencathra slate (or properly 'Skiddaw Slate') is lethal in the wet! I found on the Hallsfell ridge on a damp day once that even my hands couldn't grip it!
mountain coward

Postby malky_c » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:03 pm

Brilliant pictures. I descended Sharp Edge about 10 years ago, and although I do remember it being narrow, I don't remember it looking as scary as that at all!

In fact if I'd seen these photos first, I probably would have gone up it rather than down. Must go back and do it again someday.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby PauloUK77 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:11 pm

The weather conditions were perfect for taking pics of Sharp Edge the day I was there,sometimes bad weather can obscure views and probably taking away some of the drama.
Then again you can argue the other way as low cloud and mist can add drama.Its well worth doing again in any case.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby Milesy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks. That is definately on my Lakes todo list now :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby PauloUK77 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:26 am

Have to say the same about your Curved Ridge report Milesy,that is a scramble I hope to do some day.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby MatthewWade1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Great Photos. Did Sharp Edge yesterday in dry conditions and had no problems but wouldn't fancy it in the wet. The climb up the shoulder is steep but there are plenty of hand holds and it really added to the walk.
MatthewWade1
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:56
Wainwrights:77   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:41 pm

Great stuff Paulo, good to see you finding your way out of the flatlands again, I'm actually in the flatlands of Lincolnshire this week we may have passed each other en route :lol: . Some cracking pics of what looks to be a beautiful wander and scramble , bit steep in places :shock: but well worth the effort :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland