walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vrackie - first lone walk!

Ben Vrackie - first lone walk!

Postby fipriestley » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:45 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 02/10/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Getting brave by now! Had a half day canyoning session booked at Ballinluig and decided to make a full day trip of this, so I set off at 7.30am for Ben Vrackie. I'd only just left the car park and started the walk through the woods when I had a call (surprise at getting a phone signal!) to say canyoning was cancelled due to the heavy rainfall! Not to waste my day out, I switched my session for white water rafting instead and carried on with the climb :D

The walk was well described on this site, I had printed off the map and it was paths all the way... just as well as there was thick fog for the whole trip! I did laugh at the description though - get to the end of the loch and climb the steps to the top, just like that! Given the poor visibility, I couldn't see the top though and hadn't appreciated just how many steps there would be, but I made it.

On the way back I decided to take the extra route round the loch even though I could hardly see it - figured it was safe to keep following paths. I managed to fork right sooner than I should have, so joined the path back at a point where there was no sign marked for Killiecrankie and wondered why my climb didn't feel as gentle as the description made out :o But I was delighted to come across said sign further on and the fog even started to lift as I got nearer the car park. Overall, very pleased with myself!

White water rafting was also lots of fun - highly recommend it!
Attachments
IMAG0158.jpg
by now you can start to make out the summit!?
IMAG0160.jpg
from here you can see lovely views back to Pitlochry... !! :D
IMAG0166.jpg
follow path to end of loch (it's on the left here!) and just climb the steps!
IMAG0174.jpg
made it to the top (didn't stop long, too cold and windy!)
IMAG0179.jpg
almost back and fog begins to lift
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Ben Vrackie - first lone walk!

Postby mamoset » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:16 am

I guess they are photos of scotch mist :shock: Well done on carrying on in the clag :?

chris
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby sloosh » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:08 am

Try doing this walk again when the weather is better. The views from the top are spectacular. :)
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Gavin99 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:46 am

White water rafting and hillwalking , two of our finest Scottish watersports :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby jester » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:18 am

sloosh wrote:Try doing this walk again when the weather is better. The views from the top are spectacular. :)

Agreed, it's worth a second visit. :D
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby fipriestley » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:03 am

Thanks! will definitely try this again in better weather.. heavy rain forecast isn't putting me off taking on another this weekend though. Quite enjoying hill walking as a water sport :D
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland