walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Maol Munros with Tolmount & Tom Buidhe

Glas Maol Munros with Tolmount & Tom Buidhe

Postby SMRussell » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:16 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 24/08/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1033m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We thought we'd head out to bag the Glas Maol Munros but couldn't resist adding on a few miles to bag Tolmount and Tom Buidhe at the same time.

Parked up just off the A93 and were soon on route to Carn an Tuirc. This was a very attractive walk and we had good weather. The ascent itself was quite steep but quick to do.
1_View to Carn an Tuirc.jpg

2_Carn an Tuirc bagged.jpg

3_the scree on Carn an Tuirc.jpg

With Carn an Tuirc bagged we headed in a south easterly direction towards Tolmount.
5_view to Tolmount.jpg

Thankfully the weather was on our side, navigation was easy and the ascent to the summit was easy going. We did have to negotiate some bogs and streams but nothing difficult or aggravating. The views were worth the detour.
6_heading up Tolmount.jpg

7_view from Tolmount.jpg

8_Tolmount bagged.jpg

Between Tolmount and Tom Buidhe we saw our fair share of frogs - some of which were too quick for the camera. Again the ascent to Tom Buidhe was quite gentle. The Adding these two Munros in was a great idea - saved us a day and as the ascents weren't at all strenuous we still had plenty energy for the other 3 Glas Maol Munros.
10_some wildlife.jpg

10-0 Tom Budhie bagged.jpg

11_heading down from Tom Budhie.jpg

We headed down from Tom Buidhe to the west towards Cairn of Claise. At this point the weather changed and we found ourselves in thick mist.
12_a little help through the bog.jpg

13_the mist had arrived.jpg

14_Cairn of Claise.jpg

The mist stayed with us as we headed towards Glas Maol but thinned off enough for us to spot some hares (or maybe they were rabbits?). Glas Maol was pretty busy so we didn't stay long and headed off to the final Munro of the day.
15_Efrafans.jpg

16_Efrafans.jpg

17_GM and a dram.jpg

19_View to Creag Leacach.jpg

Creag Leacach was probably my most favoured of the Glas Maol Munros - the views towards it from Glas Maol were striking and the hike to the summit was very enjoyable. The views across to the Cairnwell pass were great too. A very atmospheric Munro - we saved the best 'till last
20_View to the Cairnwell.jpg

21_Creag Leacach.jpg

22_almost at the summit.jpg

23_Creag Leacach bagged.jpg

24_The weather for the walk back.jpg
Last edited by SMRussell on Wed May 09, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: Glas Maol Munros with Tolmount & Tom Buidhe

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Another great report with good detail and photos :D

Very timely too. Hoping to head up there on my next day out. Please could you tell me how good the paths are ?

Cheers

Px
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SMRussell » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:21 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Another great report with good detail and photos :D

Very timely too. Hoping to head up there on my next day out. Please could you tell me how good the paths are ?

Cheers

Px

Hi again Polly - happy to be of assistance. These Munros made for a fun day of bagging so you should be in for a treat :D

The paths on the Glas Maol circuit were pretty clear - a tad boggy in places but worn in enough to be easily followed. Obviously if it is very foggy and your heading off an area of scree it might be tricky to get back on the path but with a good map and compass to hand you'll be fine.

As for paths from Carn an Tuirc to Tolmount... much boggier here and there weren't really paths as such but as it was a clear day getting to Tolmount wasn't hard. Between Tolmount and Tom Buidhe there were quiet clear paths - but again watch out for boggy patches! TB to Cairn of Claise had a faint path which became increasingly clearer the further west we went.

I'd say make sure your boots are water proof and have your gaiters to hand for the boggy patches... but I've certainly experienced worse terrain than this.
SMRussell

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Great report SMR, "Saved the best till last" was my exact words as I made the summit of Creag Leacach myself some time ago. I thought it the best of the bunch.....thought less of the tarmac afterwards, but got a lift from a guy after a few hundred yards :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SMRussell » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:49 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great report SMR, "Saved the best till last" was my exact words as I made the summit of Creag Leacach myself some time ago. I thought it the best of the bunch.....thought less of the tarmac afterwards, but got a lift from a guy after a few hundred yards :D

We avoided most of the long trek up the road by heading back along the ridge towards Little Glas Maol then down to the Glenshee Centre - of course the moment we were on the road the heavens opened. I'm sure I am a rain magnet!

It certainly was a memorable hike. We were up on the Cairnwell Pass at the weekend - brought back the memories and gave us a great view over our previous conquests :D
SMRussell

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland