walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Red knees on the red peak

Red knees on the red peak

Postby dogplodder » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Route description: Sgòrr Ruadh, Achnashellach

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Ruadh

Date walked: 04/07/2009

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having written up last week's walk on Beinn Laith Mhor it's time I got Sgorr Ruadh written up from a similarly fab day in July! :D We parked opposite the reassuring red phone box (the rarer they become the more I like to see them) and set off up the track with dogs on lead until after we crossed the line at the station. We turned sharp left and not long after that got the great view of the Corbett Fuar Tholl that always sets the pulses racing. :D

DSC02382-large.jpg

We were so busy blethering (Evelyn and me :D ) we walked right past the tiny cairn that was there then and into the woods at the end of the track. When the path petered out :? we realised what we'd done and retraced our steps to find the proper path down to the dog gate. Then we followed the path through the woods beside the river and up the good slabby path to where it levels out and we got our first proper view of our objective for the day - Sgorr Ruadh.

DSC00878-medium.jpg

I love these massive round rocks - so weathered and smooth.
DSC00879-medium.jpg

Here's another view of Sgorr Ruadh from a cloudless day in October 2011.
DSC02386-large.jpg

This was a good point to check the map for where our path turned off to the left. That's the ridge of Beinn Liath Mhor straight ahead.
Kathleen 090704.jpg

We crossed the River Lair (no problem) and followed the path up below the dramatic Mainnichean Buttress of Fuar Tholl.

Fuar Tholl from Coire Lair
DSC02387-large.jpg

As we headed right off the stalkers' path to climb Sgorr Ruadh we passed several tiny lochans. This was bliss for the dogs who used them to cool off as although cloudy it was quite warm.

DSC00880-medium.jpg

As we climbed higher up the slopes of Ruadh we got our first view down into Loch Carron so out came the cameras again. :D

Think this is my best side 8)
DSC00884-medium.jpg

Oh go on then, take another!
DSC00885-medium.jpg

Walking buddy Evelyn
DSC00887-medium.jpg

We got our money's worth out of this rock
DSC00890-medium.jpg

Liathach from top of Sgorr Ruadh
DSC00891-medium.jpg

Other peaks of Coulin Forest and Loch Torridon
DSC00892-medium.jpg

Beinn Alligin and Liathach
DSC00893-medium.jpg

Beinn Alligin
DSC00894-medium.jpg

Maol Cheann-dearg and Loch an Eion
DSC00895-medium.jpg

Evelyn at summit of Sgorr Ruadh, Fuar Tholl behind
DSC00896-medium.jpg

On summit cairn of Sgorr Ruadh
DSC00897-medium.jpg

The cloud lulled us into a sense of complacency about the need for reapplying sun screen. So by the time we got back to the car we were sporting redder knees than we realised - but appropriate enough after a fabulous day's walking on the red peak. :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Red knees on the red peak

Postby darren » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:18 pm

:clap: superb
darren
Munro compleatist

Munros:35   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby taylor94 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:37 pm

shorts in scotland aff your heed haha nah joking aside nice report
taylor94

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:24 am

Lovely pics, one of my favourite areas in Scotland :D
I did Sgorr Ruadh last January in knee-deep snow and freezing cold. Have to go back to climb its neighbour Beinn Liath Mhor. Well, any excuse is good to do some wandering in Torridon...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:09 am

Another fab report Kathleen. Glad to see a happy one after your dramatic entry last week!

Your photos are amazing, although I must confess I like the doggy ones best :D

A really well-detailed report too- very helpful, cheers!

PS you and Evelyn look smashing, is that the shorts shoved to the back of the wardrobe 'til next year? :(
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dogplodder » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:16 pm

taylor94 wrote:shorts in scotland aff your heed haha nah joking aside nice report

I know, it's a bit reckless but one has to live dangerously just once in a while! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:22 pm

BlackPanther wrote:I did Sgorr Ruadh last January in knee-deep snow and freezing cold.

Take my hat off to that! :thumbup: I climbed Glas Maol once in January but that was before I knew you need crampons and ice axe for winter climbing. Now because I'm not winter equipped I tend not to tackle anything higher once the snow comes, although the views can be even better in the winter!
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:27 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Your photos are amazing, although I must confess I like the doggy ones best :D

Oh me too - and Jack is such a poser! 8) :D

Reckon the shorts are well and truly stashed until the spring. Who would have believed in less than a week there would be such a change from the balmy autumn day we had on BLM last Wednesday and now there's snow well down Ben Wyvis! :o
dogplodder

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:35 pm

dogplodder wrote:Take my hat off to that! :thumbup: I climbed Glas Maol once in January but that was before I knew you need crampons and ice axe for winter climbing. Now because I'm not winter equipped I tend not to tackle anything higher once the snow comes, although the views can be even better in the winter!

Views of Torridon in winter are next to none :D We're so lucky to live just over an hour drive away from the area and we simply can't stay away from these great hills, especially when they are covered with snow. It's just like a demon somewhere in your head, telling you to go out and tackle another mountain. :lol: :lol:
My snowy-cloudy story with Sgorr Ruadh is here: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9920
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby dogplodder » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:06 pm

BP your report is awesome and I so enjoyed seeing those snowy pics! :D

If I had someone experienced to go with I'd happily get the gear and go. 8)
dogplodder

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland