walkhighlands

Have you lost or found some gear when out in the hills?

MISSING DOG- Loch Droma- Loch Glasgarnoch

Re: MISSING DOG- Loch Droma- Loch Glasgarnoch

Postby Holly » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:12 am

Like everyone else on here following your story, I am so so pleased you got your dog back safe and also well done to the brilliant people who went out to help you too :D
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ndhudson » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:18 am

Right on!!! So happy for you and the pup! :-D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:54 am

I'll put the soup cauldron away then... :D
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Slogger » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:07 pm

I mentioned this story on another walkers forum, making the point about the terrific response of fellow walker.
I was abit surprised that a couple of posters out of the three that did post a reply, condemmed the dog owner for not keeping it under 'close control'.
I am aware that under the official guidelines of Scolands access/coutry code, it is a requirement to keep dogs under close control, but what do you walkers who live in Scotland think about allowing your dog to run in the upland areas?
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:141   

Postby magicdin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:07 am

Slogger wrote:I mentioned this story on another walkers forum, making the point about the terrific response of fellow walker.
I was abit surprised that a couple of posters out of the three that did post a reply, condemmed the dog owner for not keeping it under 'close control'.
I am aware that under the official guidelines of Scolands access/coutry code, it is a requirement to keep dogs under close control, but what do you walkers who live in Scotland think about allowing your dog to run in the upland areas?
Dave.

Now that could be a touchy subject :shock:
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Eskimo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:12 pm

magicdin wrote:
Slogger wrote:I mentioned this story on another walkers forum, making the point about the terrific response of fellow walker.
Dave.

Now that could be a touchy subject :shock:

:shock: Oh for goodness sake. Really?
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Postby magicdin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Yup
magicdin
Rambler

Postby Eskimo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:27 pm

I just can't understand why someone would respond with a comment like "oh well the dog should have been under control". Surely the natural human response would be more along the lines of "that's not good news, I feel for the guy and hope he gets his dog back safely"?!

Honestly that is unbelievable.
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Postby magicdin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:32 pm

I was commenting on the debate that slogger was trying to instigate about control of dogs

The fact that spiderwebb found his pooch safe and well is of course good news :D
magicdin
Rambler

Postby Slogger » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:18 pm

magicdin wrote:I was commenting on the debate that slogger was trying to instigate about control of dogs

The fact that spiderwebb found his pooch safe and well is of course good news :D

Well yes and no.
I was over the moon that he found his dog safe and sound, and whilst being aware of the official line on not letting your dog off its lead, I wondered what other walkers thoughts were on this issue and more importantly were they bothered that some walkers occasionally let their dog run free in the hills.
Whilst not being a dog owner, I personally have no problems with well behaved dogs being let off the lead. We all know some dogs and owners are better behaved than others.
I pointed out the diferences between areas like the Lake District with it's many sheep on the Fells and the Munro's where there is substantially less to none around, and received a reply, more or less saying "what about the Grouse and Deer".
My imediate thoughts were 'What are they going to say if Wolves are reintroduced'.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:141   

Postby rambler » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:32 pm

Slogger wrote:
magicdin wrote:I was commenting on the debate that slogger was trying to instigate about control of dogs

Well yes and no.
I was over the moon that he found his dog safe and sound, and whilst being aware of the official line on not letting your dog off its lead, I wondered what other walkers thoughts were on this issue and more importantly were they bothered that some walkers occasionally let their dog run free in the hills.

I think it's a bit insensitive to ask that question on this thread, I suppose we should be grateful that you waited until he'd found his dog.

If you, and others, want that debate why don't you start a new thread that those of us who are not interested can avoid.
rambler
Hill Bagger

Postby PhilTurner » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:54 pm

rambler wrote:
If you, and others, want that debate why don't you start a new thread that those of us who are not interested can avoid.

Agreed - this thread has run its course so I'm locking it. Please make use of the PM system if you'd like to send your best wishes to spiderwebb.
PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Lost and Found