walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A quickie on a stormy Sunday - you canny whack it...

A quickie on a stormy Sunday - you canny whack it...

Postby PeteR » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:37 pm

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 11/09/2011

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm getting sloppy with posting walk reports these days. This is from a couple of Sundays ago, when the tail end of Katia was hitting Scotland.

The forecast for the Sunday wasn't good, with strong winds, rain and not much visibility on the hills. I really wanted to get out and about, despite the forecast.......I seem to derive some sort of perverse pleasure getting soaking wet on the hills and battered by strong winds :lol: :lol: And then there was some sense of solidarity with those at the WH meet in Kintail.......

But I didn't fancy anything too taxing, so plumped for a safe hill that was close to home - Meall Ghaordaidh (or MG). Got to admit that I was looking forward to this little trip. Reports suggest it's a bit of a dull hill and possibly one best saved for when it has a good covering of snow. I was expecting a bit of a battle of man against the elements, although in the end the strength of the wind wasn't as bad as the forecast had seemed to suggest :( :( :(

Anyway, it was a decent drive to Killin and then turning off down the glen lochay road. Seemed to have a bit of trouble locating the start of the walk......
DSCF2902.JPG
Helpful sign (that I drove past) marking the start of the hill route

..... odd, given this very helpful sign on the road side :lol: :lol:

Eventually I was parked up, and setting off in full waterproof regalia.

Views of MG were pretty much nil, but early on up the path passed some old shielings which provided some photo opportunities, which were looking as being few and far between on this walk :( :( :lol: :lol:
DSCF2904.JPG
The route up MG

DSCF2906.JPG
Early view looking down the route taken

At the sheilings I had thought of a shortcut onto the hill over a drystone wall, but soon discovered it was a bit too slippery and wet to get over, so reluctantly made my way back to the path where I discovered a very helpful set of steps to get me over said wall :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DSCF2909.JPG
Sheilings and Trees

DSCF2910.JPG
Sheilings

Before entering the cloud there was a chance for some reasonable views of the area surrounding the walk, as I made my way up the short distance of the landrover track before leaving that for the hill path.
DSCF2912.JPG
A view....

I continued along the landrover track until I reached a small cairn and metal pole, which marked the spot to leave the track and hit the path up onto the hill.
DSCF2914.JPG
Start of the route up MG

Early part of the path up was a case of bog :lol: :lol: Things didn't really improve much as I made my way up and disappeared into the cloud. But hey, I love bog :lol: I've walked through plenty of it this year :lol:
Before the cloud took over there were views back down into glen lochay, although they didn't last long as the rain seemed to be winning the day (until this point the rain had been patchy, but from now on seemed to become persistent).
DSCF2915.JPG
View back to Glen Lochay

DSCF2918.JPG
And with cloud ha ha ha

The view ahead stayed pretty much the same all the way :( :shock: :?
DSCF2920.JPG
Onwards and upwards

The path up for the entire route is good and even I didn't get lost in the cloud :lol: Lower down though it was less than interesting, with lots of boggy areas, some of which were amongst the worse I had experienced (even worse than the path up Beinn Dubhchraig :shock: :shock:) Met a couple coming down, who suggested the wind higher up wasn't that bad. Didn't mention anything about the views though :lol: :lol:

For some reason, just because this is an easy hill I was thinking I could just flee up it. So very quickly got myself all knackered and had to slow down. But eventually some rocks started to appear through the mist and the nature of the route changed as the path worked it's way through them to the summit.
DSCF2921.JPG
A rock....

Soon enough I was on the summit and making my way to the shelter, where a couple were already there with their dog.
DSCF2926.JPG
Approaching MG summit shelter

DSCF2928.JPG
MG trig pillar

And the views from the summit. Oh what views there are........apparently. Couldn't see a thing :lol: :lol: And by now it was getting a touch chilly, although the wind wasn't as bad as I had expected it to be, so I wasn't planning to hang around.
DSCF2930.JPG
The view from the hill

DSCF2931.JPG
Another view from the hill

On the way down I soon passed the couple that had been on the summit when I arrived. It seemed I could have adopted a dog too, as theirs seemed keen to follow me down until she was eventually persuaded to wait for her mum and dad.

Going down seemed to take no time at all, although the boggy sections seemed to be somehow worse on the way back :lol: This gives an idea of what it was like, but doesn't really do it's boggy-ness justice (a section below this point was even worse).
DSCF2933.JPG
The 'bog' path!

It was a case of head down and getting myself back to the car, not that I wasn't enjoying myself in these less than ideal conditions. At one stage a shadow appeared out of the mist coming toward me. Looked like a fell runner by his get up and he bounded off past me and up the hill. A thought entered my head - I bet he passes me on the way down before I get to the car :lol:

Continued the down, sloshing through the bog as the rain continued. Eventually dropped out of the cloud and found myself back on the landrover track. Almost back at the car......when the fell runner from earlier scared the willies out of me as he went running past :lol: :lol: :lol: All of five minutes from the car.....and I'd won my bet with myself :lol:

By the time I was back at the car I was thinking a coffee would be in order. So decided to stop off in Killin for a very nice coffee and scone and cream. All very civilised :D And tasty too :D :D :D Then decided to take a quick walk along to the falls of dochart, but by this time it was peeing down so I got a soaking - hey-ho though, I'm a big fan of these falls and wasn't disappointed when I got there :D
DSCF2935.JPG
Falls of Dochart

All in all I enjoyed this little trip. It was a good, easy walk, with good paths all the way - despite the bog and the lack of views. I can quite see why this would be considered a good winter walk and have it added to my winter walking list. The coffee and scone are also a good incentive to return to the area :D :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: A quickie on a stormy Sunday - you canny whack it...

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:16 am

Great report again Pete.

I've had my eye on this hill since I was last up in Killin. I passed that sign and thought how useful it would be!!!! Needless to say I'll probably wont be able to find it again!!! :lol: :lol:

Pity about the lack of views from the top but hey the photos of the Falls certainly make up for it :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:07 am

Great effort PeteR, you must love the clag to get up and go in that.......I think I'm a fair weather walker :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby PeteR » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:15 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Great report again Pete.

I've had my eye on this hill since I was last up in Killin. I passed that sign and thought how useful it would be!!!! Needless to say I'll probably wont be able to find it again!!! :lol: :lol:

Pity about the lack of views from the top but hey the photos of the Falls certainly make up for it :D

Thanks polly. The one positive of rain in this area is the effect on the Falls :D Despite the weather this is not a bad little hill for a half days walk. A clear day and I'm sure the views would be great. I'll definitely be back, but when there is a dusting of snow on the ground :D

ChrisW wrote:Great effort PeteR, you must love the clag to get up and go in that.......I think I'm a fair weather walker :lol:

Thanks Chris. I think I just love the walking. The mist can just add to the solitude, which is often something I look for in my walks. Scares the willies out of me thought when I'm totally lost in my thoughts and some shadow suddenly looms out of the clag walking toward me :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby Louis6 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:21 pm

Abit like that meself,prefer Doing them with a little wind and a drizzle of rain,Can't explain it,think it just make's me feel more alive a suppose,Doing this one this Sunday23rd,Good report :D
Louis6
Mountain Walker

Munros:60   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby PeteR » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:24 pm

Louis6 wrote:Abit like that meself,prefer Doing them with a little wind and a drizzle of rain,Can't explain it,think it just make's me feel more alive a suppose,Doing this one this Sunday23rd,Good report :D

Thanks Louis6. I hope you enjoy it on Sunday, it's a good little hill I reckon. It's certainly been a summer of wind and drizzle this year :lol: :lol: I'll be back to tackle this one when there's hopefully a good layer of snow lying around :D :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby tamw51 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:43 pm

Did this one on a warm day in summer shorts and t shirt all the way, found it quite a sweaty affair! :D Bogs wernt too bad either remember running most of the way down, got some good views too. :D just shows how different each hill can be!Think it would be a good one for a short winters day with a nice coating of snow!
SAM_0699.JPG
Little of what u were missing!
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:155   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland