walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Saying hello from Glasgow

Saying hello from Glasgow

Postby Kozmik » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:03 pm

I've just joined the site having browsed it several times recently, and I think I've just about got my head around navigating it. I'm pretty impressed I must say, I just wish I could spend more time in the hills than here in front of my computer, but hey, this site seems like the next best thing. Last Munro I was up was Creag Mhor in Glen Lochay a couple of weeks back. We were lucky to get up the road to Kenknock 'cos the river was in such spate it was threatening to flood the road in several places. We had resigned ourselves to not going to the summit when we noticed a far off patch of blue sky coming our way, so we thought; let's go for it, and we were rewarded with great views and balmy weather at the summit before we noticed the familiar black clouds closing in again. I don't think there could have been another soul on the hills around us for miles and miles that day, so thank the weather gods for delivering us that window of oppor-chancity. The pint we had back down by the falls of Dochart was pretty damn good too! Kozmik 8)
Kozmik
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   

Re: Saying hello from Glasgow

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi Cosmik! Thanks for your comments and welcome to the board!

We were lucky to get up the road to Kenknock 'cos the river was in such spate it was threatening to flood the road in several places.

Aye it has been a tad wet lately - we're back on Skye having just been driven out of Perthshire by torrential rains.

We recently got Bruach na Frithe completely to ourselves having set off in drizzly weather and it clearing up just like you on Creag Mhor. It was probably a good thing you did not to go on to neighbouring Beinn Heasgarnich - one of the boggiest Munros on its eastern side - I can't imagine what it would be like after a good downpour.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Saying hello from Glasgow

Postby BVCSK » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:10 pm

:o Hi I have recently found the site and in the past 2 weeks have done 5 of the walks available.

Most of the walks I do are with my wife, 2 boys aged 5 & 7 and our springer spaniel.

I have really enjoyed getting back into walking having done absolutely loads prior to the kids coming along. I am originally from Aberdeen and have done many walks in the Grampians and Cairngorms now living in Glasgow we are working our way through the easier routes and starting to go for more adventurous ones. My 5 year old seems able to handle most things and we are now able to take on 7-10 mile, 4-6 hour long trails.

I have had to replace some of my gear as most of it was bought 20 years ago and have been very impressed with 3 purchases. I bought a pair of Brasher Towa GTX boots from Tiso's that are brilliant, comfy from day one, a Berghaus Axis 3 layer Goretex jacket for £99 from Go and also from Go got a Berghaus FreeFlow 35l daysack both of which look at becoming firm friends.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with reccomendations for family walks of the distance/time I mentioned earlier or for that matter shorter but worthwhile ones.

Cheers

BVCSK
BVCSK

Munros:37   Corbetts:17
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:5   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...