walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Didn't fancy getting stuck on An Stuc

Didn't fancy getting stuck on An Stuc

Postby rogers » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 20/08/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Quite similar to my last walk which was in the Crianlarich hills with the climb up through the woods before hitting the open moorland and both hills coming into view, although Meall Greigh still had a head of low cloud at this point but as we arrived on its summit it had cleared to give excellent views all round and over to Meall Garbh, so after a quick cup of tea we made our way across the bealach following the old fence line to the top of our second Munro and got chatting to another couple of walkers who were heading on to An Stuc, they tried to convince me to give it a go so we headed over for a closer look, that's when timber said he was sure he just heard the sound of breaking glass, i replied that was my bottle crashing, i just didn't feel confident enough, plus the fact i never packed an extra pair of boxers in case i sharted myself, so we settled down and got the flask out and watched the two other chaps who were making there way up and seemed to be doing fine, didn't stay long enough to see them get to the top as time was getting on and there was a strong cold wind so we made our way back down and arrived back at the Lawers Hotel in beautiful sunshine where we were more than happy to stop in for a couple of refreshing pints from the very friendly bar staff who suggested trying An Stuc from Ben Lawers, so we will probably give that a go, i might just be able to make it i hope.
DSCF0018.JPG
Start of the walk
DSCF0019.JPG
Meall Greigh with its head in the clouds
DSCF0022.JPG
An Stuc and Meall Garbh
DSCF0025.JPG
Top of Meall Greigh
DSCF0026.JPG
Across the bealach to Meall Garbh
DSCF0028.JPG
Looking back to Meall Greigh
DSCF0031.JPG
Not for me
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Re: Didn't fancy getting stuck on An Stuc

Postby jonny616 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi

Your right not to if you do not feel like it. Having done it myself it is not as bad as people think, but equaly a friend of mine did it and hated every min of it.

From the Lawers side it is completly different. Gentle slope & makes a good walk with Bheinn Ghlas & Lawers.

Regards

jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Del246 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:33 pm

Know how you feel ! I recently did your route but my friend talked me into going up An Stuc. I worried about it all day and forced myself up. Once I got to the top I didnt feel so bad but admit when I started the scramble I was terrified !!!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby kinley » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:34 pm

There's a goat track runs from the bealach to the N ridge of An Stuc that removes all difficulties.

We went up An Stuc the direct way once - I'm not sure why people call it a scramble - it's an unpleasant steep ascent up rotten loose ground. :?

Anyway - An Stuc from the other side is a grassy slope. :)
kinley

Postby Redrock » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:24 pm

You are wise not to exceed your confidence limits on An Stuc, Rogers, and hey - you bagged two good Munros that day. :D An Stuc is definitely a lot easier from the Ben Lawers side. And I agree that the "scramble" on the north side is not the best with a lot of loose rock. But having said that, it's really not as bad as it looks from a distance. I didn't find the goat track through - or maybe I did, after all! :lol:
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:42 pm

Yikes !! Going up there next month...Wheres that goat track Kinley??? :lol: :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:18 pm

When I did these three, I had already done An Stuc from the Lawers side so just wanted too give the scramble a go ! Hearing that it was a high un-graded scramble I thought I would be able to climb it backwards with my eyes closed (me being that sort of person). Not true, but it wasn't hard and definatley a good intro too steep loose rock and ground. I just picked my own route through the crag's and found myself at the top a good few minutes ahead of my dad who went the conventional way and wondered what all the fuss was about it being a scramble (he has done the AE and been too Skye twice :lol: )

Looking back, I shouldn't have climbed half the stuff I did because the crags were unable too be down-climbed easily. Kinda had a visual route in my head as too what lay ahead from the views at the top Meall Garb but had I got stuck I wouldn't have been in the best position.

All that said, the butterfly feeling and slight shaking from the slip of your boot when pushing up, then looking down and finally reaching the top of each mini gully and then finally getting too the summit was well worth the climb. Great fun ! The South Face looks alot more formidable from Lochan Nan Cat right enough :shock:
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby pillar rock » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:33 pm

[quote="kinley"]There's a goat track runs from the bealach to the N ridge of An Stuc that removes all difficulties.

I was up on An Stuc last week and having read Kinley's heads-up about a possible easier alternative to the scramble, kept my eyes peeled for the 'goat' track. And he was dead right (as ever), an obvious 'animal of some sort' track heads up from the bealach to the right, then contours across to a very large and obvious boulder on the N ridge. From here it is simple grassy terrain all the way up - a bit steep mind! Quite easy to spot, even in clag.
pillar rock
Mountain Walker

Munros:75   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:313
Wainwrights:214   

Postby delberto » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:41 pm

yep like you i dont fancy doing an stuc the hard way. I done it from lawers and found it easy from that side.
nice good couple of munros.

nice one- well done
delberto
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland