walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach nan Capull . Cowal

Cruach nan Capull . Cowal

Postby smiffysmc » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:59 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Cruach nan Capull

Date walked: 23/10/2011

Time taken: 5.1 hours

Distance: 17.1 km

Ascent: 611m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided to make the most of the early morning weather................Dry!! Shame there was so much Clag about though :( But if you waited for perfect conditions.........you would never get out on the hills :lol:

Turning off the A815 from Dunoon onto the B836 i continued 1 mile up the road. You can park either side of the narrow bridge. There's 1 parking place over the bridge and numerous spaces on the slip road just before bridge on left hand side. There is an old bridge on the old road.

The 1 space parking area

Looking over the old bridge from other parking area

Looking over the old bridge. You can also walk under this bridge if you'd like to get some good pics. ( Not part of the walk,but since you are there. 8) )

07.55 . Starting off from the access gate. It's a straight forward walk to the top of the Glen.

The wooden bridge at the start is a bit slippy !!

Then it's off up the road for 4.1kms to the top of the Glen . A slow steady climb.

Looking over to the cottages of Stronsaul

Near the top of the Glen,i had marked the path of the original 'Coffin Trail' onto GPS but it's non existent,the tree's have been harvested.

There is a sign post further up at the top of the Glen. Here you leave the main Forestry road and head up the graded path.

Untill you get to the upper corner. This is where you cross the fence, over the style by the big stump. I had a rough idea of where i was wanting to go. Once over the fence head up hill,cutting across. The next fence is always in sight. Theres plenty of sections you can just step over once you get to it. Its quite a steep wee climb. I think i was following the flattened grass left by walkers a week ago at Cowalfest,as the Coffin Trail was a guided walk.
There is a history to the Coffin Trail,it was used to carry coffins either to, or away from Inverchaolain. I'll need to look into this more.

A look down to the main Forestry road.

I tried to find the Trail,but theres nothing there as far as i could see. I followed the fence line on my left,till it met up with the fence heading up the hill. There is a small gate to get through. Turn right once through this and head up the hill keeping the fence on your right hand side.

By this time the Clag was blowing in and back out,with every step. Getting thicker the higher up i went. I zig zagged my way up. Trying to get some pics at any chance i could. Looking down to Loch Striven.

You pretty much stick to the fence all the way up the hill,there may be bits you can cut across,but as the Clag was getting worse i always kept it in sight.
At 5.5kms the steepest bit is over. Closing in again.

I continued along ,with only the fence for company.

Passed over Leacann nan Gall in the Clag.....impressive.

After soaking in the sights i headed of in persuit of Cruach nan Capull,nothing much changed....

New fence to follow...... coming soon

Was hungry so.......... :lol:

The fence was a bit more exciting after something to eat.....

In all seriousness,if your going to eat something off the hills,make sure you know what it is !! :?

Still following the fence you come to a bit that splits at a large straining post. You turn left here. There is a short steep drop as you follow the fence line..........yes still keeping it on your right.

It's up there somewhere !! It's a steep climb again. I never went to far from the fence yet again and zig zagged up the final stretch.

Clear spell

Made it.

I stood about for a while to see if the Clag would lift,but i gave up in the end. I returned the way i came....this time the fence on my Left :lol:

On way back i stopped to gather a few rocks,i built a mini Cairn on Leacann nan Gall

Even almost cleared

Hmmmmmmm...now thati'm half way back,looks like its clearing up there !!

Summit hump

The Clag never stayed away for long but managed a few more pics before my final descent.

I enjoyed this walk. Even though the Clag stayed about for the majority of the walk. Following the fence line worked out well and there are some deer/sheep tracks that make the walk that bit easier. Wouldn't mind heading up here again in the winter after a fall of snow and a clear sky.

Cheers.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by smiffysmc on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Cruach nan Capull,Black Craig (Leacann nan Gall). Cowal

Postby orion » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:43 am

Pity about the clag on top Smiffy but well done on getting out anyway.

The Marilyn Black Craig is actually a couple of miles to the south east of the Black Craig that you were on.
Gives you an excuse to go back in better weather for the excellent views down Loch Striven and beyond :D

Alex.
orion

Postby kevsbald » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Liked the magic mushy shot!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby MacAoidh » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:49 pm

It’s a pity you didn’t manage to get the marvellous view over Cowal from the summit of Cruach nan Capull. I did the Marilyn Black Craig along with Bishop’s Seat from Dunoon.

Here is a link to my route map :
http://www.corbetteer.co.uk/public/drawmap.php?un=macaoidh&rn=BlackCraig

The summit of Black Craig.
MacAoidh

Munros:282   Corbetts:93
Fionas:106   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:65   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:6   

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:51 pm

Blast !!! I must have walked to the Bishops seat 20 times via Kilbride Hill. I've also walked over to Inverchaolain from the Bishops Seat. Sure there's a cairn on Black Craig.

Will need to get back up there !!

Have edited original post. Will get to Black Craig one day !! :lol:
Last edited by smiffysmc on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:55 pm

MacAoidh wrote:It’s a pity you didn’t manage to get the marvellous view over Cowal from the summit of Cruach nan Capull. I did the Marilyn Black Craig along with Bishop’s Seat from Dunoon.

Here is a link to my route map :
http://www.corbetteer.co.uk/public/drawmap.php?un=macaoidh&rn=BlackCraig

The summit of Black Craig.

Yes i know the hill well. When did you do it ? Last time i was up they were just extending the road till it took you onto the open hill. Has the Bishops seat got any kind of classification ?

Cheers.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Re: Cruach nan Capull . Cowal

Postby MacAoidh » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Don’t think there is any kind of classification for Bishop’s Seat, but it is a fine wee hill with a great view. I did my walk last month and got a nice day for it. The road now extends well beyond the edge of the plantation and I left it at NS13725 75982 to head up the gentle slopes of Bishop's Seat.

The summit of Bishop's Seat.
MacAoidh

Postby MacAoidh » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:13 pm

smiffysmc wrote:
MacAoidh wrote:Has the Bishops seat got any kind of classification ?

Cheers.

Bishop’s Seat has now been classified as a (5H) Highland Five.
A Highland Five is a hill in the Scottish Highlands between 500m and 609m high with a drop of at least 30m on all sides.
MacAoidh

Postby smiffysmc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:07 pm

MacAoidh wrote:
smiffysmc wrote:
MacAoidh wrote:Has the Bishops seat got any kind of classification ?

Cheers.

Bishop’s Seat has now been classified as a (5H) Highland Five.
A Highland Five is a hill in the Scottish Highlands between 500m and 609m high with a drop of at least 30m on all sides.

Ah,cheers for that. Does that mean i have another list to be checking off ? :lol:
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby MacAoidh » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:47 pm

smiffysmc wrote:
Ah,cheers for that. Does that mean i have another list to be checking off ? :lol:

The list is there if you want to attempt it, but there are 774 Highland Fives. :shock:
http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/Scotland/Deweys.php
MacAoidh

Postby smiffysmc » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:48 am

MacAoidh wrote:
smiffysmc wrote:

The list is there if you want to attempt it, but there are 774 Highland Fives. :shock:
http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/Scotland/Deweys.php

Ha, I'm loosing track of hills to do! At least Leacann nan Gall ( the one I thought was Black Craig) is on it. I built a wee cairn on it when I was up there. I'll be able to bag 3 hills when I'm up at the proper Black Craig. :)
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland