walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A traverse of Moel Siabod

A traverse of Moel Siabod

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:30 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Moel Siabod

Date walked: 23/10/2011

Time taken: 4.8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another Moel Siabod report :)

Another poor MWIS forecast for today – 75 mpg gusts! At breakfast time, the rain was chucking it down. Therefore, instead of hillwalking I started watching the Rugby final. By half-time, the rain had stopped and the cloud was starting to lift, so I abandoned watching the rugby to climb another hill :D.

I didn't fancy waiting around an hour or so for the next Snowdon Sherpa bus, so I set off walking from the Swallow Falls.

Click here to see a map of the route undertaken

The two mile walk along the road from Swallow Falls to Pont Cyfyng was quite interesting.

I was quite impressed with the stonework used to build the Ugly House :lol:.

The Ugly House:

Looking towards Moel Siabod:

Pont Cyfyng was a pleasant surprise – a really nice series of small waterfalls below an old bridge.

Pont Cyfyng:

I turned off the main road at Pont Cyfyng and after a hundred metres or so took the steep road with a walkers sign for “Moel Siabod”.

Road towards Moel Siabod from Pont Cyfyng:

After a few hundred metres, I left the steep road to follow the footpath shown in the next photo.
There is writing on the road advising to take the footpath and that the road is “Private”.

Start of footpath leading towards Moel Siabod:

Looking back towards Swallow Falls:

It was nice to see across to Pen Llithrig y Wrach and Creigiau Gleision. I ascended these hills two days previous.

Pen Llithrig y Wrach and Creigiau Gleision (zoomed):

Moel Siabod:

I thought today that I might have this hill to myself. I was completely wrong – there were lots of walkers ascending Moel Siabod today.

Looking back to lochan:

A short distance beyond the first lochan are a couple of large mounds of slate.

Slate piles:

Beyond the mounds of slate is a really nice pool that has two waterfalls flowing into it.

Nice pool:

The next section was quite wet underfoot.

The Daear Ddu ridge looked quite impressive from a distance.

Daear Ddu ridge:

Looking back to Llyn y Foel:

I felt that today was too wet and windy to stick to the Daear Ddu ridge. There is however a good easy path that ascends to the left side of the Daear Ddu ridge.

Ascending parallel to the Daear Ddu ridge:

Ascending Moel Siabod:

During the ascent, I thought it funny to see a guy walking a white poodle up the hill. The white poodle was more muddy-brown than white.

Ascending Moel Siabod:

Unfortunately, the summit was in cloud, so no views from the summit!

Approaching summit area of Moel Siabod:

Approaching the summit trig point:

Summit trig point:

I had a seat in the shelter for a while, hoping the cloud would lift or clear, but it didn't.

Large summit shelter:

Looking across to the summit from the windshelter:

At the summit, I wondered if I could undertake a traverse of Moel Siabod instead of returning the same way. I had a good look at the map and opted to descend towards the Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel – I knew that I could catch the Snowdon Sherpa bus from there back to the Swallow Falls.

The descent of Moel Gid was via nice and easy grassy slopes.

Descending Moel Gid:

Looking back to Moel Siabod:

Approaching Clogwyn Bwlch-y-maen:

Llynau Diwaunedd:

Looking back to Moel Siabod:

By now, the cloud level had lifted sufficiently for not only Moel Siabod to be clear but also Snowdon.

Looking across to Snowdon:

Looking across to the Glyders:

I followed a faint track leading towards a gate, a few hundred metres South of the hotel.

Descending towards Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel:

I was well impressed with the Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel. Friendly staff and good Guinness. Reminded me of the Clachaig – a real walkers/climbers pub. (Wish I'd stayed at this hotel instead of the Swallow Falls)

Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel:

Quality Guinness in the Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel:

I caught the S2 Snowdon Sherpa bus back to the Swallow Falls.

Three good days in Snowdonia. The weather didn't allow for my Plan A walks, but the Plan B walks were also very enjoyable. When can I go back?
foggieclimber

Re: A traverse of Moel Siabod

Postby Bod » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:41 pm

Well done again Foggie and thanks for sharing your routes and experiences. Clever use of the buses. I am impressed at the Ugly House too. Also, like your "map links", how do you do them? Cheers.... :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:00 pm

Bod wrote:Well done again Foggie and thanks for sharing your routes and experiences. Clever use of the buses. I am impressed at the Ugly House too. Also, like your "map links", how do you do them? Cheers.... :D

Thanks

Re map links, using OS Openspace.
foggieclimber

Postby mountainstar » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:25 am

You certainly made the most of your long weekend, a good finish to it there on one of my favourite "quicky" hills.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby malky_c » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:05 pm

Nice traverse, shame you didn't get any summit views, but at least most of the hill was visible. Bit of a coincidence that I used the same route the previous day - I've only ever used it once before as it leaves you miles from the car normally. Pen y Gwryd is a nice pub - this is where Mallory and various other famous climbers used to stay I think. Like you say, similar to the Clachaig in many ways.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:32 pm

Ugly House??? I think its fab, I'd buy it and then it could be the Ugly's House :lol:

Please can educate me FC, are Hewitts the Welsh equivalent of Munros?

Cheers,

P x
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby malky_c » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:33 pm

malky_c wrote:this is where Mallory and various other famous climbers used to stay I think.

Oops! Wrong Everest Expedition :oops:

Shows how often I've been in.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby nathan79 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:36 pm

Between you and Malky's yomps, i feel like i barely did any walking this weekend! :lol: Got some good ideas for my next visit to Wales, not so hopefull of such clear conditions next time though.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:41 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Ugly House??? I think its fab, I'd buy it and then it could be the Ugly's House :lol:

Please can educate me FC, are Hewitts the Welsh equivalent of Munros?

Cheers,

P x

A Hewitt is a Hill in England, Wales or Ireland over Two Thousand feet high (610m) with a drop of at least 30 metres (98 feet) all round. More info.

I suppose that New Donalds are our closest comparable hills - hills in Central or Southern Scotland at least 2000 feet high (610m) with a drop of at least 30 metres (98 feet) all round.

The equivalent of Munros in England, Wales and Ireland are sometimes referred to as Furths.
foggieclimber

Postby davetherave » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:33 am

Nice read foggie. Shame about the cloud waiting so long to clear.

Hope the guiness went down a treat?
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby smirnie71 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:04 pm

malky_c wrote: Pen y Gwryd is a nice pub - this is where Mallory and various other famous climbers used to stay I think. Like you say, similar to the Clachaig in many ways.

According to Griff Rhys Jones Mountain programme (have worn out both disks more or less :lol: ) this is where Hilary et al prepared for the first Everest summit and it shows pictures of them traipsing around Tryfan testing their oxygen masks. There's a great scene where Griff is taken up Tryfan with George Band, one of the 1953 team and whilst they're sitting up there on Adam and Eve he hauls out his string long johns and down coat that he wore on the expedition.. blah blah blah..
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:14

Postby smirnie71 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:06 pm

Sorry to have gone off on tangent on your post Foggie. It's malky-C's fault as he pointed me to this page. And a very excellent report it is too. Now have some great ideas about alternative routes and glad to know there's a Daear Ddu alternative for the not so Daring Ddu! :-P :roll:
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:14

Postby garyhortop » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Great report Foggie, I have been up in that area loads of time but generally headed towards the main hills of Snowdon and the Glyders (as well as my favourite - Tryfan!). This has really given me some thought and more options for my next trip to that part of Snowdonia. Bet the Guinness went down a treat! Cheers!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland