walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Woo Hoo, I finally got a view!!

Woo Hoo, I finally got a view!!

Postby lomondwalkers » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 25/10/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 900m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With today being my last day in my 30's, I was hoping rather than expecting that I'd finally get a break with the weather and get up to the fabulous Glencoe, with the wee Bookil my preferred target. My last 6 or 7 walks I have seen hee haw from the summits (usually clearing 5-10 mins after i descend - You know that feeling!). MWIS wasn't filling me with great optimism last night, stating low cloud gradually rising through the day, with a 20% chance of a cloudfree Munro in the West, but it was better than the 10% chance in the East. So for today, West was best and I'd decide where when I got up. Our house looks towards the Luss Grahams, and it was distinctly gloomy that way when daylight arrived, but being the optimist I am, I packed the Glencoe map anyway and if the gloom persisted I'd just head for the Corbett Beinn a'Chrulaiste. The drive up didn't fill me with much optimism either with all the high tops in clag, and even as I approched Buachaille Etive Mor the clag was down to around 600m, but it was dry, so that was an improvement on last week on Stob Diamh!

Pulled into the carpark across from the large domed cairn, and low and behold, a miracle..... The clag was above the summits of my chosen hills :shock: :shock: Even the Arrrrgghhhh Eeeeek Ridge was clear of the clag!!
DSC_0006.JPG
Aonach Eagach
DSC_0009.JPG
Stob Dubh

Followed the obvious path from the carpark for around 1km, where it forked to the left, and followed this as it gradually rises away from the Allt Lairig Eilde and heads for the col between Stob Coire Raineach. As I gain height I can't help but keep looking back towards the Aonagh Eagach and all it's jaggy pointy bits, wondering if I will be ready for it when summer :?: 2012 comes along, or if I'll just end up stuck and crying for my mammy :lol: Even from this distance, it looks rather daunting!!
DSC_0011.JPG
Jaggy Ridge again

Height was gained fairly quickly, mainly due to the high start point :lol: and just a little over an hour from leaving the car I was at the cairn on the col, and greeted with a fabulous view of the full length of Buachaille Etive Mor, which by now was almost clag free too! Unfortunately my camera skills aint upto yet, so no fabby pano shot of the full ridge :(
DSC_0023.JPG
Stob Dearg
DSC_0024.JPG
Stob na Doire
DSC_0025.JPG
Stob Coire Altruim & Stob na Broige
From here it's a choice of left to Stob Coire Raineach or right to Stob Dubh. As SCR was nearest, I opted for that first, and within around 20 minutes or so, I was standing on the summit taking in my first summit view in bloody ages!!! 8)
If the last few walks had me questioning why the hell I do this for a hobby, then this was the moment that gave me the answer!!! To the North it was still positively gloomy, not even a glimpse of the Ben, even just across Beinn Fhada, Bidean was shy, but these grand herdsmen of Etive were showing themselves and that was as good a 40th birthday present as anything (though I may change my mind in the tomorrow if I get some nice new kit :wink: ). So a few minutes were spent snapping away at the summit, though with the excitement of actually having something to photograph, I forgot the obligatory self portrait :lol: Then it was time to traverse the ridge to Stob Dubh, which looked a rather fine walk from where I was standing 8)
DSC_0045.JPG
SCR summit cairn
DSC_0046.JPG
Stob Dearg & Stob na Doire
DSC_0047.JPG
Stob Dubh
DSC_0048.JPG
Loch Etive
DSC_0051.JPG
Back up Corbett in the clag

A quick descent to the col again and then up to the unnamed 902m cairn where the ridge flattens out and becomes quite narrow, before rising again to the summit of Stob Dubh. The wind was fairly strong along here, but nothing to worry about.
DSC_0073.JPG
Ridge to Stob Dubh summit

There are two cairns on the summit, the first of which is higher, and from here Bidean revealed as much of herself as she was going to. The second cairn however offers a superb view down Loch Etive, and again a cracking view of Buachaille Etive Mor.
DSC_0075.JPG
First cairn
DSC_0076.JPG
Bidean almost clearing
DSC_0080.JPG
2nd cairn & Loch Etive
DSC_0083.JPG
Loch Etive
DSC_0094.JPG
Buachaille Etive Mor

Made my way back to the first cairn, remembering to take that all important smug shot, you get a nice view of the narrower part of the ridge from here also. Then it was down to the col and back to the car via the ascent route. Stopped off at the Kingshoose for the obligatory Big Bookil shot, and got a nice welcome from the locals 8)

DSC_0103.JPG
Peekaboo!!
DSC_0105.JPG
Ridge
DSC_0110.JPG
Stunning!
DSC_0112.JPG
Oh Deer!

A great half day in a stunning wee part of our planet, with much better than expected weather, and some time alone to reflect on the first 40 years of the life of little OLD me. I only wish I'd got into this fabulous pastime years ago!! Better late than never ;)

Cheers,

Dave
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Woo Hoo, I finally got a view!!

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:21 pm

Woo Hoo! An early birthday present indeed!! :D

Brilliant photos Dave and that's without your new camera :shock: :shock:

You make this sound very straightforward, is it really? :?

Glad you had a fabbie birthday eve :)

Happy happy birthday (in 40 minutes) X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Bod » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Lovely report and a well deserved day by the looks of things. Been saving this one for a special day myself..... :D

Happy 40th when it comes, all the best :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby soulminer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:07 am

Call that a view ? :lol: Can't beat the view down Loch Etive. :thumbup:
Have a nice day as you plunge headlong into the Fourth Decade :shock:
Cheers
soulminer

Postby dogplodder » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:16 am

Happy 40th birthday! :D You've got loads of time - I've climbed the bulk of mine since I turned 50 :thumbup:

Great shot looking down Loch Etive.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby rockhopper » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:55 pm

Well done - it's great when you get to see the views especially here :D Would agree with soulminer - having sepnt time up here at the start of July, I find the views down Glen Etive hard to beat 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:07 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:Unfortunately my camera skills aint upto yet, so no fabby pano shot of the full ridge

Thats a disappointment, you'll have to go back when you've honed your photographic skills :lol:

Woo Hoo, a great report and loved the photos anyway, they're excellent :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:32 pm

rockhopper wrote:Well done - it's great when you get to see the views especially here :D Would agree with soulminer - having spent time up here at the start of July, I find the views down Glen Etive hard to beat 8)

....and happy birthday - welcome to the 40's :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:30 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Woo Hoo! An early birthday present indeed!! :D

Brilliant photos Dave and that's without your new camera :shock: :shock:

You make this sound very straightforward, is it really? :?

Glad you had a fabbie birthday eve :)

Happy happy birthday (in 40 minutes) X

Cheers Pauline, thats me officially middle aged now :lol: and how fab to finally get some views!!!!!

Its a great path all the way on these two, though coming off the summit of SCR there were a few different paths here and there, but with it being clear it wasn't a problem, might be a bit confusing in clag though.

Bod wrote:Lovely report and a well deserved day by the looks of things. Been saving this one for a special day myself..... :D

Happy 40th when it comes, all the best :lol:

Cheer Bod :D Hopefully you'll also get a decent day when your special day comes. You won't be disappointed!

soulminer wrote:Call that a view ? :lol: Can't beat the view down Loch Etive. :thumbup:
Have a nice day as you plunge headlong into the Fourth Decade :shock:
Cheers

Cheers SM, though fourth decade sounds even aulder than 40!!! :lol: I agree about the view down the Loch, it is stunning!

dogplodder wrote:Happy 40th birthday! :D You've got loads of time - I've climbed the bulk of mine since I turned 50 :thumbup:

Great shot looking down Loch Etive.

Cheers DP! Just glad I took it up eventually 8) Been to places I'd never have seen otherwise :D

rockhopper wrote:Well done - it's great when you get to see the views especially here :D Would agree with soulminer - having sepnt time up here at the start of July, I find the views down Glen Etive hard to beat 8)

Glen Etive is most definitely up there with the view I had from Stob Ghabhar. Really enjoyed your report of the 2 Bookils and reaching 100 :thumbup:

rockhopper wrote:
rockhopper wrote:....and happy birthday - welcome to the 40's :D

Cheers RH, seems to be a fairly decent place to be so far :lol:

SusieThePensioner wrote:
lomondwalkers wrote:Unfortunately my camera skills aint upto yet, so no fabby pano shot of the full ridge

Thats a disappointment, you'll have to go back when you've honed your photographic skills :lol:

Woo Hoo, a great report and loved the photos anyway, they're excellent :thumbup:

Thanks Susie. I'm actually on an evening class on the basics of DSLR photography, which I have to attend tonight of all night :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:44 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:Thanks Susie. I'm actually on an evening class on the basics of DSLR photography, which I have to attend tonight of all night

If there's any help or information you want regarding the photography then just ask. I've been on a couple of 1-2-1 day courses (in Scotland) which were excellent :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:25 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:If there's any help or information you want regarding the photography then just ask. I've been on a couple of 1-2-1 day courses (in Scotland) which were excellent :D

U might just regret saying that Susie, you wont get peace now :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland