walkhighlands

Have you lost or found some gear when out in the hills?

Lost Dog on Carn a Chlamain in Glen Tilt

Re: Lost Dog on Carn a Chlamain in Glen Tilt

Postby orion » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:24 am

I might be able to make it up on Friday.Fingers crossed in the meantime....

Alex.
orion

Postby Milesy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:46 am

Forecast is for decent weather tomorrow and also Friday. I am unsure about the prospect for Saturday so I would be inclined to take the day off work on Friday and head up if anyone wanted to join. We could increase the search to other nearby locations.

Lorna, if it could be possible to relay the locations that have been searched already it might allow a slightly different route to be walked and cover some new ground.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Milesy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:33 pm

Angela just text me back to say that Daz has been found, or captured more like from the sounds of the number of people who seen him but couldn't get him :lol:

What another storybook ending. Brilliant 8) 8)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby smudger831 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:51 pm

Another happy ending! No doubt someone will be getting steak for dinner tonight :D
smudger831
Ambler

Munros:21   Corbetts:1

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:51 pm

To confirm Daz is safe and well and reunited with Angela

I set off at 0830 up Glen Tilt and was about 3-4 miles up the Glen when I saw Daz running down the road on the opposite side of the river to me (I was on the track north side) at about 1015 hrs.
I called him and he turned his head but carried on running disapearing along the road behind trees. Unluckily for me he caught me coming down a slight hill going in, which meant an uphill run (did I say run-well brief run) back up. This soon reduced to a brisk walking pace, clear in the knowledge I was not about to outpace a dog even after 5 days and nights out in the wilds !
I met the shepherd in his pick up by Gilberts Bridge where he confirmed my sighting and that it must be the missing Daz ! He drove down the road while I went up the Glen towards the cottage as we couldn't be sure if Daz had doubled back. Met again at the bridge with no further sighting.
I came back over the bridge in the belief he must have crossed and carried back towards the car park not least to phone in where I could get a signal, which turned out to be correct as I met two groups of walkers the second about a mile from the car park, and they had seen him in the car park itself.
They had contacted the owners who were on their way so I waited in the car park myself in case the dog came back.
He was caught by someone at the Blair Atholl caravan park and held for the owners to collect, who then met me up at the Car park having called ahead. Owners having been to the caravan park a few times clearly familiar ground (as with Sam finding him on a route I'd done many times).
Turned out the first sighting was people staying in Marble Lodge who saw Daz outside when they looked outside just after 0900 !! He must have legged it and that's when I saw him (looking fit and well) sprinting down the road.

All I can say is brilliant news knowing exactly how they felt !!! and talking of news I was being called numerous times by the press wanting my own story of losing Sam two weeks ago. Numerous VM's as the signal in Glen Tilt was nill !! Check BBC Highlands and STV I believe. Fame at last, maybe I'll take his up full time !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby magicdin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:09 pm

magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby walk aboot » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Great news! :D

Love the news article too, spiderwebb, bet your grrr-ing and grinning at that one :thumbup: :-D
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Just need a suitable charity now to donate the petrol money that the owners gave me for coming down.

I got much out of today.

1. Tried out the new boots, !
2. Visited Glen Tilt and I'll be back with camera next time, twas looking good as the sun began to appear this morning in its autumn glory.
3. Proved that any dog has more energy than I do even when its not eaten for 5 days !
4. Confirmed that my fell running days are over (never started really).
5. Confirmed my inability to navigate my way from car parks and roads is still strong despite my excellent navigational skill in the middle of no where !
6. Confirmed that it does always appear to rain in Aviemore, was the only place on the drive home where it rained !

and most importantly the pleasure of seeing an owner reunited with dog !! Who'd have thought it !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby colliecrew » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:49 pm

I received a tearful but overjoyed voice message from Angela telling me Daz had been found - tired and a little thinner but nonetheless healthy and fit. I've spoken with her father who echoes my sentiments - we are simply astounded at the desire to help exhibited by people and especially people from this forum. Dave - great thanks must go to yourself - without you today, we may not be in this position of utter joy that we are now. John is working until 5pm but I imagine it will be an emotional reunion with "Dad" and the first night of peace this family have felt since Friday.

I honestly cannot thank you enough. The kindness of each person here will never be forgotten :)

Lorna x
colliecrew

Postby HelenK » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Great news :D
HelenK
Stravaiging

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:08 pm

Great news once again,was going to offer my services of me & my 2 dogs for Sat,but great that I wont be needed.Never fails to amaze me how many dog lovers & animal lovers in general there seems to be on this great site.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby gary » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:48 pm

Fantastic news, been thinking bout Daz a lot today and so happy he has been found safe and well.
Well done to everybody
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:270   Corbetts:9

Postby Red Peak » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:28 pm

Fantastic news! :D :D

Spiderwebb, you really should consider finding dogs for a living. You seem to have the knack :D
Red Peak
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Fionas:23   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:313
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:41 pm

:D :D :D :D Brilliant news! I could not have helped until a week on Saturday and didn't really want to think about the prospect of Daz not having been found by then. Lucy is pleased to hear this news too! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:53 pm

This is fantastic news, I'm so glad another cunning canine has been captured fit and well (if a little tired) I was so pleased when reading that spider spotted him, I thought it was going to be one of those karma cycle things :lol: I should add, love this forum, no idiots and a lot of genuine good guys / gals (wouldn't have hurt the BBC to mention WH) :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Lost and Found