walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

What to do when MWIS is bad on Friday 13th?

What to do when MWIS is bad on Friday 13th?

Postby dogplodder » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:10 pm

Route description: Sgòr Gaoith, from Glen Feshie

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 13/05/2011

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What do you do when a Canadian friend has come up from Oxford to climb hills, has a tight time frame and MWIS is bad for where you want to go? The original plan was to head for the Fannaichs but with 20% in the north west that wasn't looking too hopeful for views and I wanted Penny to be able to see something. :? The odds in the Cairngorms were better with 60% so at the last minute we headed for an old favourite of mine - Sgor Gaoith.

On previous occasions I climbed Sgor Gaoith by WH route via Geal Charn to the north and from Achlean, both routes starting in Glen Feshie. I decided this time to go up the Foxhunter path that starts at Achlean Farm, parking 1km north of the farm. This gives a gentle start along the road, then left off the road at the cairn on a good path climbing initially through mixed woodland. Once clear of the woods the path traverses the north side of the corrie Fhearnagan with good views opening up of Glen Feshie and further to the west.

Bregtje and Penny on path to Coire Fhearnagan
DSC01805-large.jpg

DSC01807-large.jpg

Quick stop for an energy snack (dogs look like they've got designs on Bregtje's :lol: )
DSC01808-large.jpg

Compared to May 2010 there wasn't much snow left up here.
DSC01809-large.jpg

I was so pleased we were in the sun but at about the point where the path reaches the plateau and levels off we were into the clag. We took a left turn to climb the slopes of Carn Ban Mor and I wondered if we were going to get any views at all. :(

Penny in the clag
DSC01811-large.jpg

We walked on over Carn Ban Mor and to my surprise and delight the cloud started to lift. :D I always think it's worth being in cloud just for the brilliant moment when you can see again!

Cloud lifting over Braeriach
DSC01813-large.jpg

Shifting cloud revealing the expanse of Moine Mhor to the south
DSC01814-large.jpg

For comparison this was the Moine Mhor in May 2010, looking towards Cairn Toul
DSC01229-large.jpg

Braeriach in May 2011
DSC01815-large.jpg

Heading for sharp summit peak of Sgorr Gaoith
DSC01818-large.jpg

Deep glacial cleft of Gleann Einich on right
DSC01819-large.jpg

Last short pull to to summit
DSC01821-large.jpg

View from top to south west
DSC01822-large.jpg

View from top to north east
DSC01823-large.jpg

View from top to north west and Loch Insh
DSC01824-large.jpg

Foraging for picnic scraps high above Loch Einich :shock:
DSC01825-large.jpg

South end of Loch Einich
DSC01826-large.jpg

North end of Loch Einich
DSC01827-large.jpg

All of us at summit cairn
DSC01839-large.jpg

Jack taking a shine to Penny 8)
DSC01830-large.jpg

Clear off, she prefers me!
DSC01831-large.jpg

This was Bregtje's first Munro and I don't think she was quite prepared for the wind chill factor and at this point was feeling the cold. Not that she uttered one word of complaint - I just noticed her looking a bit blue! :(

Summit pic for Bregtje's family in the Netherlands
DSC01829-large.jpg

Warm dog equals effective insulating layer :D
DSC01832-large.jpg

Summit cairn is on an airy perch above sheer cliffs dropping 1000 feet to loch below
DSC01835-large.jpg

Penny wanted to walk round the edge of the steep drop into Gleann Einich so we headed back in a south easterly direction towards the Moine Mhor.

Sgor Gaoith looking back (note the dark cloud)
DSC01837-large.jpg

Shortly after finding the ruin of a small dwelling (amazing to think of people living up here) the dark cloud in last pic caught up with us and plunged us into thick clag, enough to need the compass and map out. I knew if we kept walking in a south westerly direction we'd cross the path heading west and it was reassuring to see the cairn on Carn Ban Mor looming up ahead of us. I told them that in a minute we'd see a vehicle track crossing our path and right on cue there it was. :D

I'm not a superstitious type but for those of that inclination it turned out a great walk for an inauspicious day like Friday the 13th! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: What to do when MWIS is bad on Friday 13th?

Postby iainwatson » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:21 am

nice report and i'm glad your friend got the views from the summit,they are spectacular looking down to the loch

i walked up by the loch on a previous walk and was looking forward to the views when i went up this munro but alas it was very windy,very wet and the cloud was low so i never saw anything

thanks for showing me what i missed out on :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Another cracker dogplodder I love that pic of the dogs foraging for scraps above Loch Einich, it has real drama. Glad to hear the 13th was not the harbinger of doom people often say it is :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Some lovely photos. Those dogs must have a good head for heights :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby dogplodder » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:13 pm

iainwatson wrote:nice report and i'm glad your friend got the views from the summit,they are spectacular looking down to the loch

i walked up by the loch on a previous walk and was looking forward to the views when i went up this munro but alas it was very windy,very wet and the cloud was low so i never saw anything

The second time I climbed it I had my son with me and told him about the huge drop to the loch and the views and when we got there it was a white out and he had to take my word for it as you couldn't see a thing. :?
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:20 pm

ChrisW wrote:Another cracker dogplodder I love that pic of the dogs foraging for scraps above Loch Einich, it has real drama. Glad to hear the 13th was not the harbinger of doom people often say it is :D

The pic makes it look more scary than it was but they do make me laugh the way they're ruled by their noses to the point of being oblivious to their surroundings!

All the best in Calgary. We have good friends living there. Bill is a Scot frae Fife and Alice is Canadian. :D
Last edited by dogplodder on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:26 pm

Great report again DP,

Loved your photos but got a wee bit worried about the dogs going so near the edge :shock: :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:30 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Some lovely photos. Those dogs must have a good head for heights :D

Reckon the dogs have no fear of heights as the main thing on their minds at all times is FOOD! :lol: I used to worry they'd take risks to get to it but since scraps tend to be dropped where people have been sitting it's fine. They seem to have a sense of where they can safely go (so far anyway!)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:42 pm

pollyh33 wrote:
Loved your photos but got a wee bit worried about the dogs going so near the edge :shock: :shock:

It honestly wasn't as bad as it looks! It looks like a sheer drop below Jack but it actually wasn't. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:16 pm

Further to issue of dog safety..... I do sometimes keep them on lead - like at the top of Ben Nevis - and on Braeriach as the wind was so strong. But on narrow ridges they're more sure-footed than me (much!) and when it's tricky terrain it's interesting how they come alongside as if they're keeping an eye on me. 8)

Dogs seem to have the sense not to put themselves in danger. But one thing I would NOT do is throw a stick for Tess as she's so retrieving obsessed she would possibly put herself in danger to get it back to me. :shock:
dogplodder

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland