walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Chuaich ,a nice wee plan B

Meall Chuaich ,a nice wee plan B

Postby pigeon » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:32 pm

Route description: Meall Chuaich, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: Meall Chuaich

Date walked: 29/10/2011

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 614m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A bit pushed for time this week so needed to find a quick walk that would allow me to be back in time for a night on the ale,plan A was Ben Vane,but the forecast for the west was really grim,rain all day and gale force winds said all the forecasts,the east though looked a wee bit more promising ,so plan B was made.Meall Chuaich was a hill we had been keeping for a winter walk ,so met Ian at layby 94 on the A9 just before 8,it did not look good ,rain was belting down and the wind was strong even as we got ready at the cars :( Soon as we set off though the rain stopped and we could see the top of meall chuaich from the track
006.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG
It's an easy walk to the chuaich power station and then on to the stalkers hut at the bottom of the hill where a big owl flew out of the heather just in front of us ,tried in vain to get a decent picture of it but the camera was just no up to the task :(
013.JPG
a bad picture of a big owl
The climbing begins just after the hut ,it's an easy climb ,a bit boggy at times but we were up in about 2 hours
015.JPG
loch chuaich
017.JPG
no entry to fifers
018.JPG
decent views looking back
020.JPG
023.JPG
cairn comes into view
Good views were had up until about the last hundred metres but the wind was mega strong, struggling to stand up or hold the camera steady so no hanging about ,got a summit pic and then headed back to the hut for some heinz's finest :D
027.JPG
ian and jake
026.JPG
shaky summit pic
028.JPG
grub time
030.JPG
Even though it was blowing a gale we had managed to stay dry and we spoke to a few walkers at the hut who were just heading up,hope they avoided the rain as well ,back to the car in 4 hours 15 mins and due to a severe lack of watering holes in Dalwhinnie it was back to blair atholl for the customary pint
031.JPG
this week's customary pint venue
So not the most spectacular of hills but we enjoyed it,just glad to get out ,no sure what the weather was up to in the west but we thought we had made the right call and managed to stay dry and upright(well i did,ian managed to fall on his arse again :lol: )Must be one of the easiest munro's but a good one if your pushed for time or looking for a simple winter walk :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Meall Chuaich ,a nice wee plan B

Postby EwaMH » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:57 pm

Did this one just today, I'd agree with all you said! It's a lovely one and nice for a wee walk in the (now official) winter. Shame you didn't get the best of weather, we had some actual sunshine up in the hills for the first time in weeks today :) Hopefully there's more winter sunshine to come.
EwaMH

Munros:207   Corbetts:83
Fionas:33   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:16

Postby pigeon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:14 pm

EwaMH wrote:Did this one just today, I'd agree with all you said! It's a lovely one and nice for a wee walk in the (now official) winter. Shame you didn't get the best of weather, we had some actual sunshine up in the hills for the first time in weeks today :) Hopefully there's more winter sunshine to come.
Cheers Ewa, glad you got a good day for it,we knew the forecast was better for sunday but had a night out on saturday so no way i could drive sunday morning :lol: Will be back up in the area soon to catch the 4 hills on the other side of the road so hoping for a nice crisp autumn day
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:09 pm

Nice one Pigeon again. Don't know about the photo of the giant owl, I couldnt see anything!!!!

Glad to see the soup was on the menu again :lol:

Didn't fancy the bothy too much, much prefered the Bothy Bar!!!

PS Love Jake's coat :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby pigeon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:56 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Nice one Pigeon again. Don't know about the photo of the giant owl, I couldnt see anything!!!!

Glad to see the soup was on the menu again :lol:

Didn't fancy the bothy too much, much prefered the Bothy Bar!!!

PS Love Jake's coat :D
The giant owl is the light brown lump just right of centre ,was thinking of sending the picture into the bbc's wildlife photo competition,what do you think of my chances :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:05 pm

Don't think Michaela will be all that impressed!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:03 pm

Nice to get out even if the weather wasn't great :D Seems to be a feature of this area - can recall it being very wet at the end of May when it was supposed to be summer ! As you say, it's an easy enough walk in but still enjoyable nonetheless - can also be biked to save a wee bit of time though doing this resulted in my dropping and breaking my gps on the track :( I'd tend to agree with you on the winter bit - could make qite a nice walk in snow especially if new to winterwalking. cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Great stuff Pigeon, your wildlife photography may need some work but it still tells a tale, maybe even more so as it makes me squint trying to identify said owl :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby pigeon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:47 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff Pigeon, your wildlife photography may need some work but it still tells a tale, maybe even more so as it makes me squint trying to identify said owl :D
Think it was a barn owl Chris ,this picture is much clearer :lol:
012.JPG
rockhopper wrote:Nice to get out even if the weather wasn't great :D Seems to be a feature of this area - can recall it being very wet at the end of May when it was supposed to be summer ! As you say, it's an easy enough walk in but still enjoyable nonetheless - can also be biked to save a wee bit of time though doing this resulted in my dropping and breaking my gps on the track :( I'd tend to agree with you on the winter bit - could make qite a nice walk in snow especially if new to winterwalking. cheers :)
Cheers Rockhopper ,this is good area for getting some winter practice ,had a great day down the road a bit on carn na caim and a'bhuidheanach beag last winter on hills which would normally be pretty dull,waiting for a good day to tackle the 4 on other side of road
289.jpg
A'Bhuidheanach Beag in january
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland