walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cluanie to the Saddle - I must be crazy

Cluanie to the Saddle - I must be crazy

Postby benno » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:48 am

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain, Sgùrr na Sgìne, The Saddle

Date walked: 10/09/2009

Time taken: 11 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Benno's frantic 2-day walking extraveganza: Day 2

Distance: 30km
3000m ascent

Following my long plateau traverse yesterday, this is a nicely contrasting ridge walk. I set off from my camp at Loch Garry at 6am and was walking by 6.30, heading up the track towards Loch Quoich and Tomdoun from the Cluanie Inn. Beyond the highest point of this track, a good stalkers path zig-zags up almost to the top of the first summit of the day, Creag a'Mhaim. There was a lot of cloud about, but all of the summits visible except for Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan were beneath it.

Loch Cluanie

Looking up towards Creag a'Mhaim

Bit of blue sky?

Check out how rubbish either my photography skills or my camera are (also how little a photo represents what you actually see). These are both the same view

Looking across Glen Shiel to A'Chralaig

The next section of ridge was a bit narrow and rocky but with no problems, taking me to summit no. 2, Druim Shionnach. Given the lengthy walk ahead of my (and the personal significance of Aonach air Chrith) I headed onwards to summit no. 3. This hill is significant to me because it is my 142nd munro, half of the 284 (although I was to discover by text several summits later 283) munros. I celebrated with a cheese sandwich and marvelled the view across Glen Quoich to Gleouraich.

Creag a'Mhaim from near the top of Druim Shionnach

Aonach air Chrith from Druimm Shionnach

The 5 sisters from Aonach air Chrith

Gleouraich

Unsuspecting deer upwind

So next, down the rocky W ridge of Aonach air Chrith and up to the next summit Maol Chinn-dearg, and Sgurr an Doire Leathain, before continuing along a particularly enjoyable section of the ridge to Sgurr an Lochain, munro no. 6. This hill was a significant one for me for two reasons, firstly I'd previously only climbed a maximum of 5 munros in a day (so this marked the beginning something bigger) and secondly, it provided me with a stop for another much needed cheese sandwich.

Aonach air Chrith from the West

All the way along the views were just amazing. I particularly liked the view across Loch Quoich to Sgurr Mor (Loch Quoich is in my opinion one of the most wonderful places in Scotland), and to the impressive peak of Sgurr Thionail, which I think is deserved of much more significance than a corbett top (not summit).

Loch Quoich

Sgurr Thionail

Continuing to Creag nan Damh I had my first look at Loch Duich, and the view down the length of Glen Quoich to Gleouraich. I also met my first fellow walker here, contemplating a short scramble on the ridge just W of the summit (in order to get to the summit from the W). The ridge down to the Bealach Duibh Leac is quite rocky but straightforward. As I reached the bealach, decision time. Continue, or head down? Weather was fine, legs felt fine, plenty of food, it's only 1pm. Carry on, I decided, the remaining hills tantalisingly close. So a Corbett, Sgurr a' Bhac Chaolais, and the difference is immediately apparant. Path not overly eroded, no human debris (except for a stone wall and fence posts) and a bit of wildlife (other than the scores of deer already seen)! 3 Ptarmigan on the summit, wonderful things.

Gleouriach and Glen Quoich

Loch Duich

Sgurr na Sgine through a wisp if cloud

The descent down the West ridge of this Corbett was probably the hardest bit of the whole day, especially on increasingly knackered legs. There's what would normally be a very easy scramble down with an obvious route, but the decreasing strength of my legs and damp slippery rock made it a wee bit harder. Nevertheless I made it to the bealach (700m) and refilled my water for the steep climb up Sgurr na Sgine.

West side of Sgurr a' Bhac Chaolais

Loch Hourn

The direct ascent of Sgurr na Sgine would have been very hard - it's incredibly steep and rocky with cliffs up high (although a couple of gullys that would provide a steep scramble up loose ground for anyone brave enough). I headed left following a drystone dyke to gain the S ridge of Sgurr na Sgine. From there it was a simple climb steeply up to the summit, munro no. 8 of the day and summit no. 9.

The Saddle from Sgurr na Sgine

At this point the Saddle was out of the cloud (40% MWIS forecast, so far all tops out of the cloud with a fair amount of sunshine around). I stopped for the 3rd cheese sandwich of the day and a chocolate bar for that extra burst of energy, and headed around the ridge before dropping down to the Bealach Coire Mhalagain (700m). At this point I met another walker (my 2nd of the day) who after a short chat offered me a lift back to Cluanie (he had Sgurr na Sgine to climb and I had the Saddle so we'd probably arrive down about the same time) - more on this later.

The added motivation of less uncertainty about my transport arrangements motivated me to attack the final 1000ft steep climb up to the Saddle, even although cloud had now disappointingly enshrouded the summit. The path is fairly well worn, although I managed to lose it in the bad visibility as it crossed a boulder field. I ended up on a very faint path heading straight up towards a crag emerging through the cloud, but luckily just beneath this crag I met the path again and continued surprisingly easily up to the trig point on the Saddle where I left my sack for the short walk and scramble to the summit cairn, munro no. 9 of the day and summit no. 10.

Tiny summit cairn of the Saddle

Trig point through the cloud

The Saddle from the foot the Forcan Ridge

Glen Shiel from the descent to the road

Severely lacking in energy now, I tucked into my emergency sugar supply (jam sandwich and a banana) before heading back down out of the cloud to Glen Shiel (didn't fancy the Forcan after 9 munros and on my own in the cloud). Arriving back at the road after 11h walking (funnily enough feeling less tired than after Day 1 of my walking extraveganza), the kind gentleman I had met was just behind me. We got in the car and put on the seat-belts...

t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t went the starter motor..the car wouldn't start! So the poor guy had to call out the breakdown whilst I guiltily hitched back up the road to Cluanie for the 150mile drive home - I hope he didn't have to wait long.

So that was the concluding chapter of my summer walking adventures - the weather has been fairly unreliable so I didn't get out as much as I had wanted to, but still managed 43 munros, 3 corbetts and plenty of low level walks in the Lomonds and the Ochils. And now the migration back to London, what a shock to the system that's going to be!
benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Cluanie to the Saddle - I must be crazy

Postby Stretch » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:04 pm

Looks like you finished your summer with a bang Benno, congrats on reaching the halfway mark!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby monty » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Top class Benno,

Loch Quoich is special to me too. Well done on your long hikes. :D
monty

Postby mountain coward » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:05 am

God what an epic! How on earth you managed to do all those in a day I can't imagine - most people find the South Shiel ridge hard on it's own without adding in Sgurr na Sgine and I don't know of anyone adding in The Saddle!! :o Have you worked out how many miles it was and how much ascent (you can put that in metres - I'm used to recalculating it back to the proper measurements! :D ) - well for that matter I can easily convert between km and miles...
mountain coward

Postby benno » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:56 am

Memmap says it's about 34km and 3000m ascent so I guess that's a fairly good guide. It was a lot, and by the time I got to the Saddle my legs really were killing, but I like to push myself and I feel all the better for it. The hardest bit was staying awake on the drive down the A9!
benno

Postby benno » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:02 am

That's about 21miles and 9850ft I think..
benno

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:33 pm

That's one big bunch of bagging benno. But Sgurr na Sgine is only half a Corbett :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby benno » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:50 pm

Ah yes, I was aware that I should probably have popped over to Buidhe Bheinn for purity, but then I really would need thighs of steel. It just means I can have a nice singleton Corbett walk from Kinloch Hourn one day :D
benno

Postby AndrewP » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:28 pm

A fine looking walk. And fine photos, too.
AndrewP

Munros:11   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:3

Postby Alan S » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:57 pm

well done on this benno :clap:
i would consider myself to be reasonabily fit but my legs just wouldnt keep going to the saddle when i done the ridge so well done.
some good pics there,good to see some of the views i missed 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby kinley » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:47 pm

Wow - some walk :shock:

I'm disappointed you didn't climb the fine Graham Biod an Fhithich on the descent though :lol:
kinley

Postby yokehead » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:41 pm

Heck of a marathon, well done indeed!
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland