walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bloke with no maps.... what a plonker, Rodney

Bloke with no maps.... what a plonker, Rodney

Postby weescotsman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 30/10/2011

Distance: 5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Epic fail for me to get to the car park and get suited and booted up then to find the maps aren't in the car...... indeed a plonker. :lol:

Thought I'd try to get up with just the gps but about a mile or so up into Inverlochlairig Glen the clag was getting lower and lower and the rain was getting heavier so I made the call to abandon ship and do it again another day. They will always be there for another day, I couldn't even make out tops in the clag, bearing in mind my getting lost in the clag on Driesh 2 weeks ago it was a wise call...........

PA310010.JPG

PA310013.JPG

PA310014.JPG

The pics tell it all really................. the hills are up there, somewhere..... :lol:
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Bloke with no maps.... what a plonker, Rodney

Postby Alan S » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:16 pm

Unlucky there weescotsman but you probably saved yourself from a bogfest with these 2 after the recent rain :D
Maybe next time eh :)
I was up Meall a'Bhuiridh & Creise today and it was tough walking at times
I also forgot my backup map but had faith in the gps, Just glad the batteries never died :lol:

Cheers
Alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Fudgie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:26 pm

My printer failed me today so I couldn't get any maps sorted. I relied on my viewranger app but in future I'll be better prepared.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Oldman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:00 pm

On the contrary weescotsman, you were very wise, maybe a bit daft to forget to pack your maps but a REAL PLONKER would have carried on and got him/herself well and truly lost.

Oldman
Oldman
Bird-watcher

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland